View Single Post
Old 03-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #31
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Making A New Oil Pressure Line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
Copper tubing does become harder over time . If not properly looped for stress relief the vibration will crack it premature . You are correct that copper can fail , this is why the auto industries does not use it . I even had to replace the copper tubing on my air compressor a couple times . Not good in a vibration environment .

I disagree on the generalization of the copper line work hardening. It depends on the type of copper. The copper oil pressure lines I sell are made from 1/8" refrigeration copper that is designed for installation in areas that are subject to heat, cold, vibration, and high pressure. Most of the original lines were mild steel tubing and some of them had a piece of vacuum type hose over the line, I presume to help dampen vibration. Also, some of them were one piece and some of them were two piece with a coupler at the firewall.

Everyone needs to do what they feel comfortable with. I have used the copper oil lines on all of my builds since 2004 with no issues. That would be 6 trucks and 2 Hot Rods......

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote