View Single Post
Old 09-18-2022, 08:56 PM   #1
bluex

LS1 spec T56 behind a SBC

I see alot threads on this using an expensive sfi bellhousing, stock bellhousing with adapters or LT1 spec clutches etc and I'm curious as to why. I can't be the first to look into this an I don't understand why there's no information out on this.

Everything I see says to use an LS1 spec trans you need a 1/2" spacer to use a stock pressure plate and clutch. I ran into this same issue with my 97 NV3500 swap that uses the same internal slave cylinder as an F-body LS1 T56. To remedy the issue I used a flywheel for my 78 350 and a clutch/pressure plate for a 97 C1500 with a 5.7. The difference in the pressure plate finger heights between the two clutches was..... 1/2".

Since the internal slaves an throwout bearings are the same between the two then in my mind I should be able to swap to a 26 spline clutch disc an a LS1 trans should work directly with no other mods. Is there anything different between an SBC an a LS1 in where the bellhousings an crankshaft face are located?

99+ trucks with a 4.8 used the NV3500 up to 05 or so. Those guys swap to a small pilot bushing, a 26 spline disc an that's about all they have to do clutch/hydraulic wise. The NV3500 was basically the same (input shaft and slave) from 96 through end of its run.

I stumbled across a T56 for $100 a few weeks ago an I currently have a stock 2 piece rms block but will be upgrading to a 1 piece rms 383 eventually. I'd like to get the trans in and sorted before the 383 but I don't want to buy a bunch of expensive stuff twice. The trans didn't come with a bellhousing but I'd really like to be able to buy a 250 stock one not a 1k McLeod that is way overkill for my build/use.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote