The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
shifty
Questionable

ECE Extreme Drop Center Cross member alignment issues?

Ok, so I I guess nothing really is bolt-in. My CPP notches didn't line up worth a damn on the stock holes, and now I'm noticing that my ECE Extreme Drop Center Cross member also doesn't line up worth a damn on the stock holes. WTF? Can't anyone make anything actually fit worth a damn?

So, just curious. Here's a pic for S&G, has anyone else noticed that the ECE Extreme Drop Center Cross member doesn't fit with stock holes? Which did you bore out, the crossmember or framerail holes?

I really didn't want to be screwing with this, and was led to believe this was a "direct bolt-in" by the ECE fellas.
Attached Images

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: ECE Extreme Drop Center Cross member alignment issues?

I have both pieces that you mention and they bolted up with no new holes being drilled or existing holes needing to be enlarged in a 1970 frame.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
shifty
Questionable

Weird. I have a '68. My frame is technically different than yours. I am 100% positive my frame is square as well.

I'm going to go to their website and see if they say anything about this.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
Weird. I have a '68. My frame is technically different than yours. I am 100% positive my frame is square as well.

I'm going to go to their website and see if they say anything about this.
How a bout some pics to see how close it really is. It is possible for the frame to spread or pinch in a little when you remove the factory x-member (not excessivel). I have always had good luck with ECE parts.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

That was actually my next question. ECE doesn't mention anything about differences between the years, nor that there are some fitment concerns. I assume all framerails from 63-72 are the same width?

Is it possible that the frame flexed in an inch after that crossmember came out? The hole centers are out by about 3/8" - 1/2" on each side. If I line up holes on one side, I can can't even see a sliver of hole on the other side. I would need to oval out the frame holes to get there.

What is the inside rail to inside of rail measurement with the stock crossmember in? Can anyone help get that?

Last edited by shifty; 08-23-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

What about using a couple of clamps to spread the rails while you drop in the bolts. Like a pipe clamp?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
jlaird

I remember when I took out my stock crossmember, the frame spread suddenly when I took the last rivets out. You might want to try to get some long pipe clamps and try to get the holes lined back up. I bolted my stock one back in and had to do this because the frame spread and the holes didn't line up.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
What about using a couple of clamps to spread the rails while you drop in the bolts. Like a pipe clamp?
WOW, we both wrote "pipe clamps" at exactly 9:57...weird!

Last edited by jlaird; 08-23-2009 at 09:59 PM.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #9
PBFAB.COM

That's another idea... slide the factory one back in and compare. My guess is that they will both fit the same.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
shifty
Questionable

I cut the factory crossmember out with a plasma to save time, then drilled out the rivets. Makes it easier, a lot of the rivets have been frozen on my frame, and my airhammer won't knock em out ($25 name-brand unit from Wal Mart). By cutting it, I just needed to take the heads off both, hammer out one, then slam the leftover piece with a hammer, and the rivet and remnant come out easily. I seriously didn't think I would need the crossmember again.

I guess I can cobble together the old crossmember on top of the ECE unit and see if the holes line up. If yes, then I just need to find a way to spread the framerails.

I dunno what y'all are saying about using a pipe wrench. The frame rails got skinny on me. I would need a bottle jack to spread the rails. (don't have one, though!!)

I'll figure it out. Thanks for the feedback, if anyone else has feedback or suggestions, or want to share your experiences, please do!

Last edited by shifty; 08-23-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:57 PM   #11
SCOTI

My rails needed to be spread slightly w/a Port-a-Power to drop the bolts right in but mine was a lwb to swb conversion so heat might be more of a factor for me.

Since that first attempt, I just bolt it in by dropping the bolts in on one side & using a pry bar to push the other side out enough that the bolts would drop in.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:06 PM   #12
shifty
Questionable

I will give it a shot.

I'm thinking about sending it out for powdercoating w/o this crossmember and the tranny crossmember out. Suggestions welcome. Pros, cons of in or out?

Last edited by shifty; 08-23-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #13
Rokcrln

Shifty do you have a high lift jack? I used that on project Trazer when I installed the ECE Cross-member. As I popped out the last rivet the frame pinched and locked my air hammer in place really good. I used ECE's holes to get the frame back in place with help of a high lift jack from back in my wheeling days!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #14
XXL
Señor Member

Like others have mentioned, there was some "pop" when the old xmember came out. I had already set the new one in just behind the old one, so all I had to do was apply some elbow grease with a dead-blow hammer to get it in place. Holes lined up dead-on.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #15
basemodel67
Factory Strippers Rule!

Maybe it's because you're putting it in upside-down? Just kidding... I hope.
basemodel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #16
shifty
Questionable

the frame is flipped upside down still in that picture, i flipped it a while back when i notched it

measurements are the same top and bottom, i believe, but not sure. good point, though.

i went out and measured last night before bed. with a little nudge, i got the holes to line up. all looks good with the world. now i need to weld up some dead holes in the framerails and drill for my tranny crossmember, then drill my airbag holes out .... and i'm just about good to go for sandblast/powdercoat.

can't wait to have a rolling chassis again.

Last edited by shifty; 08-24-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #17
dznucks

Shifty,

let us know what you end up doing, pics would be nice too. I just ordered my CPP center drop member today. i hope i am not going to have the same problems.

do you think having the cab still on the frame might help that frame not snap in after removal?
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #18
shifty
Questionable

Oh, absolutely. The rear cab supports should hold it at about the same spot. You gotta understand - I'm literally a pair of framerails right now with, what, four crossmembers? The one in front of the engine, the main front crossmember under the engine, then two rear crossmembers. Not much to my frame right now, I've removed the tranny crossmember and the rear trailing arm crossmember.

i'm guessing the reason not a lot of people have this problem is that they have an automatic tranny crossmember installed when they remove this trailing arm crossmember, so the frame can't flex in/out much.

That's why I was curious to hear what people thought about transporting it without the extreme drop crossmember installed.

Last edited by shifty; 08-24-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #19
dznucks

I can tell that you have it stripped down to the bare frame.

i wonder what was preloading the frame if you had all the other crossmembers removed.

i am just going to have the bed off when i put mine in. hopefully i wont have this problem. thanks for posting this. this could have been an uneepected problem, now i at least can watch out for it.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #20
shifty
Questionable

I seriously think the framerails probably already had some bow to them, and when i removed the tranny and center/rear crossmember, it probably just sprung back out again to the shape it was before.

Sounds like other peoples have actually contracted inward some. Who knows what 100k+ miles and 40 years of wear does to framerails

Old 08-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #21
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
My ECE Extreme Drop Center Cross member also doesn't line up worth a damn on the stock holes. WTF? Can't anyone make anything actually fit worth a damn?

and was led to believe this was a "direct bolt-in" by the ECE fellas.
So operator error! Glad it all worked out for you, I have a lot of faith in what Stan from ECE sell's.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 08-24-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote