The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2014, 01:06 AM   #1
no1udknow

90s vortec distributor on an older sbc???

Hey guys, I used to have a 96 tahoe and one of the things I liked about the engine was the corrected distributor cap (2468 on the left 1357 on the right) I know they make these caps for older hei distributors, but I was wondering if anyone has ever put a distributor from the late 9ps vortec motors on an sbc? They are fairly available at most junk yards and cheaper than the hei system s from summit
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
Koffer

Re: 90s vortec distributor on an older sbc???

Since I can't see any pictures pretty sure the vortec distributor will have no mech. advance so unless your running a good EFI system it won't work
Old 12-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

The 95/96 Vortec distributors are plastic and prone to short lifespan. I think you're way better off with the good old HEI. It's a common upgrade to install the '97-up induction/ign on 95/96s

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #4
hugger6933

Yeah, all the advance [both mech and vac] were gone by the days of the vortec motor. The pcm took what would have been their job so they weren't needed.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
Bigdav160

The only thing under the cap is a cam sensor so it's pretty useless with any application other than what it came off of.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
no1udknow

Ahh, good point... wasn't thinking about the missing advance. Geuss ill be spending the 45$ for one of those corrected caps from summit after all
Old 12-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #7
Joe Pass

Just a heads up on the Accel corrected cap. I just purchased one from eBay to clean up my existing installation. After trimming the new ignition wires I ran engine (sbc), and set the timing. The next day I fired it up and I had an engine misfire and backfiring so bad I couldn't get it to run at all. After a day of trouble shooting thinking I screwed something else up I reinstalled the stock cap/wires. Now my 62 fires right up with no issues, so I Googled "Accel corrected cap misfire" and found MANY people have experienced this. My buddy uses a "Crossfire brand" for 2 years with no issues and as for me, I'm staying with the stock cap because I don't like walking home....good luck
Joe Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Took the words out of my mouth. My 98 has the crappy plastic corrected distributor and it has random misfires on #1 & #3 at idle. I'll change the cap and it goes away for a week or so then comes right back. I've been thru 3 cap and rotor sets,all aftermarket. Delco is going in next and if that don't fix it I may shoot holes In it! Just kidding obviously but it is pretty annoying. The cheapest Chinese hei distributors are a million times better quality than the plastic turd in my vortec 454.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
Matt Cramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
The only thing under the cap is a cam sensor so it's pretty useless with any application other than what it came off of.
They're also useful for converting Gen 1 smallblocks to sequential fuel injection - as long as you also add a crank trigger.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #10
dirtyjim

here is an article on converting a hei to use the crab cap. the pics are no longer working but you should be able to get the idea by reading it
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128175.html
Old 12-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #11
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1udknow View Post
Hey guys, I used to have a 96 tahoe and one of the things I liked about the engine was the corrected distributor cap (2468 on the left 1357 on the right) I know they make these caps for older hei distributors, but I was wondering if anyone has ever put a distributor from the late 9ps vortec motors on an sbc? They are fairly available at most junk yards and cheaper than the hei system s from summit
Sure you can do it but only if you have EFI/ESC because they don't have mechanical or vacuum advance and it must be done electronically. There might be an MSD box for that as well. Just use an external coil/module like the Vortec does.

I have an MEFI with a Ramjet style intake. I installed a Skip White distributor so it's new and I won't change it but if I had thought about it first I would have installed one of those cool distributors like that. However, if you install one on a flat tappet cam engine, be advised that those distributors are set up for hydraulic roller cam and have a melonized dist gear.

Hmm....wonder if I could put that cap/rotor setup on top of my billet Skit White dist that already had the internal module? Food for thought.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 12-05-2014 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Got to thinking
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #12
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
Yes, "cam sensor" or "hall effect switch".
Old 12-06-2014, 01:56 AM   #13
no1udknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Yes, "cam sensor" or "hall effect switch".
So, I wonder what the difference is length wise in the 2 cams. I wonder if I could take a 95+ cam, punch out the pin, install a shaft and gear from an der hei with mechanical advance, and use a rotor from the older distributor and BAM... crab cap? The only issue I ever had with my vortec distributor was that the body was plastic and I once overtivhtened the cap screws and snapped an ear. Maybe ill try an after market crab cap for an older hei
Old 12-06-2014, 02:09 AM   #14
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1udknow View Post
So, I wonder what the difference is length wise in the 2 cams. I wonder if I could take a 95+ cam, punch out the pin, install a shaft and gear from an der hei with mechanical advance, and use a rotor from the older distributor and BAM... crab cap? The only issue I ever had with my vortec distributor was that the body was plastic and I once overtivhtened the cap screws and snapped an ear. Maybe ill try an after market crab cap for an older hei
I don't thing so. The only way you can use it is to use the whole thing and use an electronic control box like this one. I don't think that would fit in with saving money but it would be a very good system. About as good as you can get.
http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...ble_6AL-2.aspx