The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
Damon23

Think I want a older one

When I was looking for a truck I didn't really pay too much attention to this forum. As I've been looking at more and more trucks I think I wan't the look of the early one's (73-80) round headlight truck. I like the trim that goes down the side and the white middle section. I like the stacked headlights of my 82 but something about the earlier ones especially the stepper in the for sale section has me thinking.

What parts are needed to swap out the front? I know I would have to find bumper, fenders, grille, core support maybe, lights and trim. I'd have to swap out the dash and door panels if I wanted to go that far. The paint on my truck is in pretty good shape. It is not new and a paint shop hopefully could match everything up so you could'nt tell that the front has been painted. That part scares me. So in the end it looks like I would have a bunch of money tied up in the conversion so it would probably be better to just sell this one and buy a older, round headlight truck and start with that. What do you all think? Here is mine. It has since been lowered in the front 2.5in and I just got the shackles to drop the rear 2in.

No great defeat was ever just possible in the beginning.
Damon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
88Jimmy4x4

Re: Think I want a older one

keep that one and buy another older truck
88Jimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
espcamaro

I agree with 88jimmy4x4. You have a nice truck there
Posted via Mobile Device
espcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Damon23

I wish I could. We just bought my wife a 71 VW bus and that is going in the garage next to the truck. I also have a Excursion, Challenger and my company F150 in the driveway. No more room.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
J Knight

X3
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

The whole front clip needs to be changed out plus the wiper transmission mechanism needs to be changed. The older style uses a different bolt pattern with exposed wiper arms and will require some fabrication to make it fit.

Have you looked at the 89-91 Suburban, Blazer & crew cab front end? Different look and most of your parts will fit with just a core support & grille assembly change. No paint work needed.

Don't remember which board member this truck belongs to but it is a nice example of the 89-91 front end on the 73-87 truck.
Attached Images

68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Damon23

I like that Burb front end but I see trucks like this

And see some cool two tones

And you just don't get that with the stacked headlight trucks like mine. I don't know. I think I'll install the shackles and swap out the aftermarket seat with the new bench and throw it up for sale/trade and see what happens. If nothing then at least I still have a nice truck to play with.

Last edited by Damon23; 03-24-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
Pro/StreetPete

As mentioned you have a real nice truck but if your not happy with it sell it and go shopping.....that's always fun !.....
Old 03-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
naphtali5725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon23 View Post
I like that Burb front end but I see trucks like this

And see some cool two tones

And you just don't get that with the stacked headlight trucks like mine. I don't know. I think I'll install the shackles and swap out the aftermarket seat with the new bench and throw it up for sale/trade and see what happens. If nothing then at least I still have a nice truck to play with.
the black truck is my favorite look, classic round headlights...
I have a dual square 86 that i want to change to single rounds.... too bad there isn't an aftermarket kit that has the core support, and grill/bezels etc. but will fit without changing the sheetmetal...maybe someone here will make one

Disabled Veteran
82nd Airborne Division
Operations: Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and Uphold Democracy
naphtali5725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
silvereagle07

You do have a nice truck. You shouldn't have a problem selling it. It sounds like you really like the older round eye. So I would sell it and find a nice round eye.
Posted via Mobile Device

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
cleansquare
Account Suspended

I agree super nice truck! Just needs a different grill for sure
Posted via Mobile Device
cleansquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
str8axle55

You could swap over to a single square headlight style, if it`s the stacked lights you dislike.
str8axle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

I did the swap to my old 84 K20. Bought a matching main color 78 Suburban and swapped over the doors and front clip to my 84 to get the round headlights plus power windows and sport mirrors. Just had to paint the two tone band onto the truck and add the side trim to the bed.

I put all the stuff off my 84 onto the Burb and sold it off for almost as much as I paid for it.

A good weekend worth of work but I got what I wanted for little investment.
Posted via Mobile Device
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
1977cheyenne_C10

i think its funny that some people that have 73-80 trucks want to change to the 84+ front end and people that have 82-87 like the 73-80s style.
1977cheyenne_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
Pro/StreetPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977cheyenne_C10 View Post
i think its funny that some people that have 73-80 trucks want to change to the 84+ front end and people that have 82-87 like the 73-80s style.
Agree........ glad I like em all !
Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
Damon23

I like the stacked headlights but after looking at the others I just have taking a liking to them. My problem is I cant have as many vehicles as I like. I think that is a common issue with us carguys/gals. I also have this thing that when money gets into my pocket it burns holes in them. Another common issue. Next time I'll focus when I buy. I'm in no means out of love with mine, just would like the different look. It does not help that my truck has been in the garage for the last 6 weeks and the most it has moved was to pull it out of the garge to back it in to work on the spindles. Warmer days are coming and I'm sure that this want will pass and I'll keep on with the 82. I'm dreading swapping the shackles out. I may farm that out.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
bohmankid

I also wanted the round headlights on my truck, but refused to take off the perfect front clip of my 85. So, I bought a 79

Name:  1979.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  79.1 KB

But if i were you, since you don't have room, I would just sell the one you have and buy an older one.
bohmankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #18
oakleykk
Account Suspended

I recently came across your article and have been reading along. I want to express my admiration of your writing skill and ability to make readers read from the beginning to the end. I would like to read newer posts and to share my thoughts with you.
Tiffany & Co Outlet
Vibram Five Fingers
Red Wing Work Boots
Louis Vuitton Outlet
oakleykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #19
J Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleykk View Post
I recently came across your article and have been reading along. I want to express my admiration of your writing skill and ability to make readers read from the beginning to the end. I would like to read newer posts and to share my thoughts with you.
Tiffany & Co Outlet
Vibram Five Fingers
Red Wing Work Boots
Louis Vuitton Outlet
Never seen any spammers here before.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #20
bluex

Quote:
I like the stacked headlights but after looking at the others I just have taking a liking to them. My problem is I cant have as many vehicles as I like. I think that is a common issue with us carguys/gals. I also have this thing that when money gets into my pocket it burns holes in them. Another common issue. Next time I'll focus when I buy. I'm in no means out of love with mine, just would like the different look. It does not help that my truck has been in the garage for the last 6 weeks and the most it has moved was to pull it out of the garge to back it in to work on the spindles. Warmer days are coming and I'm sure that this want will pass and I'll keep on with the 82. I'm dreading swapping the shackles out. I may farm that out.
Shackles are easy. The front hangers are the real pia.....
Posted via Mobile Device
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #21
Pro/StreetPete

Quote:

You can always go 80's......
Attached Images