The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2021, 11:36 AM   #1
Asshat

Brake line kits for conversion disc

Do the brake line kits work for these truck when converted to disc brakes?

Is there a company that sells pre-bent sets?
Old 11-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Brake line kits for conversion disc

Stainless - https://www.performanceonline.com/19...less-Material/
OEM type - https://www.performanceonline.com/19...-OEM-Material/
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:12 PM   #3
Asshat

Thank you!
Old 11-07-2021, 09:54 AM   #4
Pitpig

I found it’s easier to bend NICOPP line than install a pre-bent kit. It’s easy to bend and flair, and maybe cheaper
Pitpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:27 PM   #5
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitpig View Post
I found it’s easier to bend NICOPP line than install a pre-bent kit. It’s easy to bend and flair, and maybe cheaper
True. I like doing my own.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:37 AM   #6
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitpig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
True. I like doing my own.
I’m just not that good at making it look clean.
Old 11-11-2021, 01:35 AM   #7
64shortbox

Asshat - I'm not sure what you used for a master cylinder and vacuum booster BUT I used a master & booster from a 73 C-10. I also grabbed ALL the brake lines and combination valve (Proportioning Valve). ALL the brake lines fit my 64 like a glove. It looks Factory and I didn't have to cut bend or modify ANYTHING to make it work. I did have to make a mounting bracket to mount the proportioning vale. To get the correct angle on the proportioning valve I bent a piece of coat hanger and welded up a couple pieces of 1/16 flat bar to match the angle of the coat hangar - BUT the same could be accomplished with some decent gauge sheet metal. If you look at the top picture you can see the proportioning valve just hanging out there before I made my bracket. Even the rubber flex hoses to the calipers are 1973 C-10 items. Make no mistake about it - I'm the Laziest & Cheapest SOB you will ever meet in your Life! I bought my stuff at Pick-N-Pull on half off day. If you look closely you'll also notice a Ford Radiator Overflow/Windshield Washer reservoir from a f-150 and an electric cooling fan from a 96 Lincoln Mark VIII tripped by a Volvo fan relay - yep, again all bought on a 1/2 day at Pick-N-Pull - yet it darn near looks Factory doesn't it. Who says you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? My truck was literally built from JUNK - from a Junk Yard!
Attached Images

64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 04:12 AM   #8
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortbox View Post
Asshat - I'm not sure what you used for a master cylinder and vacuum booster BUT I used a master & booster from a 73 C-10. I also grabbed ALL the brake lines and combination valve (Proportioning Valve). ALL the brake lines fit my 64 like a glove. It looks Factory and I didn't have to cut bend or modify ANYTHING to make it work. I did have to make a mounting bracket to mount the proportioning vale. To get the correct angle on the proportioning valve I bent a piece of coat hanger and welded up a couple pieces of 1/16 flat bar to match the angle of the coat hangar - BUT the same could be accomplished with some decent gauge sheet metal. If you look at the top picture you can see the proportioning valve just hanging out there before I made my bracket. Even the rubber flex hoses to the calipers are 1973 C-10 items. Make no mistake about it - I'm the Laziest & Cheapest SOB you will ever meet in your Life! I bought my stuff at Pick-N-Pull on half off day. If you look closely you'll also notice a Ford Radiator Overflow/Windshield Washer reservoir from a f-150 and an electric cooling fan from a 96 Lincoln Mark VIII tripped by a Volvo fan relay - yep, again all bought on a 1/2 day at Pick-N-Pull - yet it darn near looks Factory doesn't it. Who says you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? My truck was literally built from JUNK - from a Junk Yard!
That does look pretty damn clean, very factory!

I did not install a vacuum booster yet, good to know I can use one from a 1971.

What about the brake pushrod? I had to modify the one I had on the truck.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:02 AM   #9
64shortbox

Yes, I did have to modify the brake push-rod setup. I pieced mine together with stuff from Orchard Supply (I did it a Long time ago) After I did all that I found out that Speedway had a kit that was about 1/2 the cost of me piecing everything together. My main thought with keeping everything factory - besides being cheap that is - If I needed a Master Cylinder, Caliper, Brake hose etc., I know I can go to Auto Zone, Napa, O'reillys etc. on a Sunday afternoon and get what I need. Another thing - I don't know if your truck is an automatic or not but I grafted on a 73 Power Disc brake pedal. DoobieBro, The Rocknrod and myself all did this mod. I STOLE the idea from DoobieBro. We all approached the idea differently but I like The Rocknrod's the best. He grafted on a Power Disc Brake pedal from like a 72 Chevelle I believe. It's a little bit smaller than a 73 C-10 and you can get the stainless trim for the pedals. Brake, Gas & E Brake. Yes I said E Brake - I plan on installing an E Brake setup from a 72 Cadillac so when I drop my truck into Drive or Reverse it will release Automatically. Remember I said I was Cheap & LAZY! A person has to be Pretty Lazy to not have to manually release a damn parking brake.

I bought the mount for the vacuum booster from Captainfab - an excellent piece by the way - he even supplies the necessary bolts & nuts.

Check this out: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...gg_q=brake+rod
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2021, 11:17 AM   #10
Asshat

Quote:
Yes, I did have to modify the brake push-rod setup. I pieced mine together with stuff from Orchard Supply (I did it a Long time ago) After I did all that I found out that Speedway had a kit that was about 1/2 the cost of me piecing everything together. My main thought with keeping everything factory - besides being cheap that is - If I needed a Master Cylinder, Caliper, Brake hose etc., I know I can go to Auto Zone, Napa, O'reillys etc. on a Sunday afternoon and get what I need. Another thing - I don't know if your truck is an automatic or not but I grafted on a 73 Power Disc brake pedal. DoobieBro, The Rocknrod and myself all did this mod. I STOLE the idea from DoobieBro. We all approached the idea differently but I like The Rocknrod's the best. He grafted on a Power Disc Brake pedal from like a 72 Chevelle I believe. It's a little bit smaller than a 73 C-10 and you can get the stainless trim for the pedals. Brake, Gas & E Brake. Yes I said E Brake - I plan on installing an E Brake setup from a 72 Cadillac so when I drop my truck into Drive or Reverse it will release Automatically. Remember I said I was Cheap & LAZY! A person has to be Pretty Lazy to not have to manually release a damn parking brake.

I bought the mount for the vacuum booster from Captainfab - an excellent piece by the way - he even supplies the necessary bolts & nuts.

Check this out: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...gg_q=brake+rod
Very nice!
I’m definitely going to look into the vacuum booster.
Thanks for the write up!
Old 11-12-2021, 04:30 AM   #11
The Rocknrod

Quote:
...The Rocknrod and myself all did this mod. I STOLE the idea from DoobieBro. We all approached the idea differently but I like The Rocknrod's the best. He grafted on a Power Disc Brake pedal from like a 72 Chevelle I believe. It's a little bit smaller than a 73 C-10 and you can get the stainless trim for the pedals. Brake, Gas & E Brake. Yes I said E Brake ...
69 Camaro.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:35 PM   #12
64shortbox

Master Chief, thanks for clarifying that for me, my memory isn't what it used to be. And thank you for your service!
Old 11-12-2021, 10:45 PM   #13
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Master Chief, thanks for clarifying that for me, my memory isn't what it used to be. And thank you for your service!
No problem, I got the brake pedal idea from you.
Old 12-11-2021, 06:37 PM   #14
G8rN@te61

Has anyone purchased and installed the performance online disc brake and drop spindle kit? I am currently pricing this out with western chassis and CPP and this kit is much cheaper. Wondering about quality, etc.
G8rN@te61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:17 PM   #15
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rN@te61 View Post
Has anyone purchased and installed the performance online disc brake and drop spindle kit? I am currently pricing this out with western chassis and CPP and this kit is much cheaper. Wondering about quality, etc.
Mine is POL. Works well, great quality, mine is like 5 years old. I just got it on the street this year. 500 miles today.
Old 12-11-2021, 10:00 PM   #16
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
I have the POL kit on my truck, but I got stock height spindles instead of drop spindles. I've had the kit on the truck for over 5 years now. It has worked well for me, and I haven't had any issues with it. I don't know exactly how many miles over the years, (broken odometer for a couple years) but I wouldn't be surprised if it's over 20k

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:23 AM   #17
G8rN@te61

Do you guys think the front disc upgrade is worth the money? I have been hemming and hawing because I feel with only a 250 in it that it stops pretty good with the drums. I drive pretty tame in it.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:59 AM   #18
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Do you guys think the front disc upgrade is worth the money? I have been hemming and hawing because I feel with only a 250 in it that it stops pretty good with the drums. I drive pretty tame in it.
I wouldn't drive with drum brakes myself. But there are people who swear by them so it depends on who you ask.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #19
MT65

Agree with Rocknrod, sometimes newer technology is very welcome….
MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:41 PM   #20
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
I pull a trailer occasionally enough that I'm glad I chose discs.

At the very least, if you decide to keep the drums, upgrade the master cylinder to a dual line from a 67 truck if you haven't already done so

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 12-12-2021, 09:47 PM   #21
G8rN@te61

Yah I was actually thinking on upgrading to a Wilwood Master Cylinder regardless of what I do. Funny (or not so funny depending) when I hit my brakes hard which is rarely my rears lock up and screech really loud at times. I imagine since theres no weight back there.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:43 PM   #22
AcampoDave

Quote:
Drums do work pretty well. The dual reservoir M/C is a must for safety but another key to good brakes is replacing old rubber lines to the wheels and rear axle (they swell internally with time), as well as using quality shoes with freshly turned drums.

I have one truck with front disc and one with drums. (Both are non boosted.) Truth is, on relatively flat gound they stop about the same unless the brakes get hot. It's the hard driving on summer days especially on curvy mountain roads where the discs really pay off. I keep the drums truck away from congested thruways and steep moutain grades (It's basically a stock truck) and it's fine.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 12-12-2021 at 11:59 PM. Reason: More info added
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:50 PM   #23
G8rN@te61

Got another related question. When y'all changed to front disc, did you change out the suspension bits? As in the ball joints and tie rods? Mine don't look to bad and that would add another $600 bucks to the costs.

I mean how far does one go lol.
Old 12-20-2021, 09:07 PM   #24
MT65

You go till you feel safe with the parts that you life and lives of others depends on, safety doesn’t necessarily come cheap….your call
MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:37 PM   #25
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Got another related question. When y'all changed to front disc, did you change out the suspension bits? As in the ball joints and tie rods? Mine don't look to bad and that would add another $600 bucks to the costs.

I mean how far does one go lol.
When I did mine, I changed ball joints and tie rod ends. I did not change the control arm bushings at the time. I went with an aftermarket kit that utilized squarebody spec components for the spindle. I have an adapter sleeve to use stock style inner tie rods with squarebody outers for the spindle. After the 5 years of driving, I've decided to replace the stock, 63 control arm bushings mainly because the grease seals had failed. I though that might have been some of the play in my steering, but after removal, the stock ones looked fine wear wise. Probably could reuse them, but I already had the new drilled with the caster mod.

Only thing I would do different is that I would probably do everything all at once so that I wouldn't have to pull it apart again, and I definitely should have taken the time to paint everything when it was all apart the first time

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport