The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2022, 08:53 AM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Remember them metal license plate frames that

dealers put on your new car or truck when you bought it ? It had the dealers name and town to advertise their place of business.
I had a couple on my new 65 Chevy Truck I bought new and did not keep them .

Well, I have seen two of them on Ebay for a couple years or more now and they wanted $100 each for them.. I waited thinking they would come down and just lately they went up to $120 each and one has sold

Just like a lot of things as I get older,, I change my mind and say ,,forget it ,,I dont need that as bad as I thought I did...

Just curious about if any of you have any from the town you live by and bought a car or truck from
Old 12-01-2022, 09:08 AM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: Remember them metal license plate frames that

Yep.
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:10 AM   #3
mr.mud1

very interesting.i too have been watching those frames on Ebay and where ever else i see them,looking for a needle in a haystack,Leo Hoffman Chevrolet from City of Industry,California,where my truck was bought new.i have seen one on Ebay in a couple years of looking.it was the awfulest looking mess you ever saw,pitted to death and $200.00??i just stumbled on a guy on Facebook who reproduces whatever dealer you need so i'm having one made.it won't be correct or original but it won't be $200.00 either.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:00 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I first saw those when I went to CA in the '70s. Growing up in the east California is what the car scene seemed all about. Not just cooler older cars than back east, but cooler dealer IDs. Back here they were drilling holes and putting their promotion on the fender of your brand new vehicle. By the '80s they were stick-on. Then they caught on to the license plate frames, but they were plastic by then and some dealers still didn't get it. They'd use the frames and still stick their name on your paint somewhere!

I bought a few vehicles from out west that had the dealer frames. I must have let them get away. I still have a "Keep On Truckin'" one and maybe an, "I'd Rather Be Fishin'" one. I still have a pair of plain narrow chrome ones in the package to put on something.

I do have a Harley dealer one from San Jose, CA

I know the feeling of realizing I may never have many of the things I've loved all my life and have always wanted due to how crazy expensive they have become and to the fact that I don't expect to ever earn as well as I once did. I hope I can at least build the '67 and '72. And hope I can keep them, and afford to drive them, until I die.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:09 AM   #5
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I have a few.
Bob Smith VW in Hollywood
Richard Hibbard Chevrolet, in Claremont
Collieau Chevrolet in South Pasadena where my 71 was bought new
Mandy Williams Oldsmobile in West Covina (I lived next door to it when I was a kid) And Bewley Allen Cadillac in San Marino where my Eldorado was bought new.

They're all in boxes right now. I should dig them out and hang them in the garage wall.

Like you the first thing I did when I bought a car was take them off and chuck them in the trash. I wish that I hadn't done that now but who would have ever thought that they would be worth anything.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:24 AM   #6
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I have the Keep On Truckin and Bonneville Speed Week frames. What I would really like to have is two really nice Ed Black Chevrolet frames for my Burb since that is where it came from.

Almost forgot I have Dont Follow Me Im Lost, its a little bent up though. It was on my 57 Chev when I spun out in a corner, went through a fence, and knocked down a couple of small trees. I still have the license plate from that car too, it has a Bicentennial expiration tag (sticker) on it. I might have forgotten the actual date of my first and only car totaling but Ill never forget the year =)
Old 12-02-2022, 07:07 PM   #7
michael bustamante

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I have the Keep On Truckin and Bonneville Speed Week frames. What I would really like to have is two really nice Ed Black Chevrolet frames for my Burb since that is where it came from.

Almost forgot I have Dont Follow Me Im Lost, its a little bent up though. It was on my 57 Chev when I spun out in a corner, went through a fence, and knocked down a couple of small trees. I still have the license plate from that car too, it has a Bicentennial expiration tag (sticker) on it. I might have forgotten the actual date of my first and only car totaling but Ill never forget the year =)
you have an ed black veh way out there? these are highly sought after here in Albuquerque, they even have a ed blacks collecotor store here thats open in the summer.
I have an original ed blacks lic plate on my truck now.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:31 PM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
you have an ed black veh way out there? these are highly sought after here in Albuquerque, they even have a ed blacks collecotor store here thats open in the summer.
No Ed Black up here. My Burb migrated from there. I have all the original paperwork, even a business card from when it was purchased, but no plates.
I can make stickers myself, but having a plate holder would be kinda neat.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:23 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
I bought an Ed Black's dealer tag off Ebay a while back. listed as vintage. It sure looked cool in the pictures. One of those dumb dumb Buy It Now button purchases where my finger got ahead of my brain. It shows up and it's a mass-produced piece of plastic that has never been at the dealership. Good thing I didn't pay that much for dime a dozen junk.

I used to have a Galles dealer tag, though. Been looking but can't figure out where I put that daggone thing

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-02-2022, 11:17 PM   #10
Ironhorse

Interesting thread about the dealership plate frames. I have one I scored off eBay several years ago. Here in Wichita Yingling Chevrolet on 300 South Topeka St was THE place to go for factory performance cars in the 50s and 60s. Sadly the building caught fire in Nov of 1968 and was totally destroyed. Four local firefighters died when the roof suddenly collapsed on them during their initial entry into the building to confront the fire. Any sort of Yingling Chevrolet memorabilia from that dealership is considered locally as the ''holy grail'' to collectors. I scored my plate frame off eBay from a eBay vendor from all places in San Diego, Cal. for $32. Displayed as a ''Not For Sale'' piece at a swap meet a few years ago and was offered upwards of $125 for it but did not sell. It has a special place for me, I used to pass that building while in high school and drooled over the cars sitting there waiting for their new owner. Camaros, Chevelles, Novas, trucks, Impalas and even some used cars from brand X, Y and even Z. They had it all !
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:39 AM   #11
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Interesting thread about the dealership plate frames. I have one I scored off eBay several years ago. Here in Wichita Yingling Chevrolet on 300 South Topeka St was THE place to go for factory performance cars in the 50s and 60s. Sadly the building caught fire in Nov of 1968 and was totally destroyed. Four local firefighters died when the roof suddenly collapsed on them during their initial entry into the building to confront the fire. Any sort of Yingling Chevrolet memorabilia from that dealership is considered locally as the ''holy grail'' to collectors. I scored my plate frame off eBay from a eBay vendor from all places in San Diego, Cal. for $32. Displayed as a ''Not For Sale'' piece at a swap meet a few years ago and was offered upwards of $125 for it but did not sell. It has a special place for me, I used to pass that building while in high school and drooled over the cars sitting there waiting for their new owner. Camaros, Chevelles, Novas, trucks, Impalas and even some used cars from brand X, Y and even Z. They had it all !
Nice Story and great find

I too have looked at Ebay and also checked often with the car club I was with from the area that I wanted a dealership frame ... like I stated ,, there has been two for a $100 for maybe 5 years now and passed on them ,hoping to find one cheaper ...Then the two of them went up to $120 dollars and so it got me to looking and NOW I have one coming that I bid on and got for $50 plus shipping .. I figure the one I got came out of the woodworks due to the high priced ones... another thing about mine coming is that the dealership was in a small town back then of maybe 2000 people ,,not a great big dealership .. again happy for you Iron Horse
Old 12-01-2022, 11:30 AM   #12
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I have never put one on my car in fact i throw them away when a dealer puts one on a car i buy new. I also remove those stickers with the dealership name.. . The only time i kept one was when i had a camaro back in the day that came from Hendrix down south ony because i was a NASCAR fan back in the day

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:19 PM   #13
special-K
Special Order

I always threw the plastic ones away but I always thought the chrome metal ones were cool. Here in Mt. Airy with all the transplanted urbanites you can tell which ones this is a bedroom community for, where they work and make their purchases where they came from. Their dealer license plate frame tells the story of the area they came from along with their attitude . We have a Dodge and a Ford dealership in town and all the rest in Frederick, the tradition hub city for this rural region. I'm north of town on a road that stems off of Main St, the opposite way people commute to work and moved here from. These people have never made that left turn, which I feel fortunate to say

Tim

Old 12-01-2022, 01:26 PM   #14
GOPAPA

I would post a photo of the license plate frame I am talking about ""but when I try to put it on this site it says a security token is broken " not sure what that means ,,do you ?
Old 12-01-2022, 01:27 PM   #15
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
dealers put on your new car or truck when you bought it ? It had the dealers name and town to advertise their place of business.
I had a couple on my new 65 Chevy Truck I bought new and did not keep them .

Well, I have seen two of them on Ebay for a couple years or more now and they wanted $100 each for them.. I waited thinking they would come down and just lately they went up to $120 each and one has sold

Just like a lot of things as I get older,, I change my mind and say ,,forget it ,,I dont need that as bad as I thought I did...

Just curious about if any of you have any from the town you live by and bought a car or truck from
Yeah, today's mentality is anything old is retro = valuable so jack up the price on the smallest of things. Sheesh!
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 01:35 PM   #16
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Larry, sometimes when I get the broken token, I'll type in a few words, go ahead and post reply, then go back and edit it, add the pic and itll take it..

Mr. mud
I'd be interested in knowing who the guy is that reproduces those frames
Does he have a website?

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:18 PM   #17
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Yep.
That is a great looking one Keith ...

[QUOTE=mongocanfly;9150306]Larry, sometimes when I get the broken token, I'll type in a few words, go ahead and post reply, then go back and edit it, add the pic and itll take it..

I will give it a try,, Nah! Thx ,,but that doesnt work for me as I need the down load options cause I never could get that Url thng doable..
Old 12-01-2022, 04:02 PM   #18
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

My buddy's dad collected license plates, when he passed Cody got them. In the mix was 7 boxes of dealership plates and frames, i got them. After I retire this month I'm going to sort them and see what's there. Approximately 700+ should be a good little project.
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 04:30 PM   #19
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel29gm View Post
My buddy's dad collected license plates, when he passed Cody got them. In the mix was 7 boxes of dealership plates and frames, i got them. After I retire this month I'm going to sort them and see what's there. Approximately 700+ should be a good little project.
That will be a very interesting and fun time looking thru all them plates.. If you ever need a bit of help with what is what about the worth of them plates ,,feel free to give me a hollar as I have been collecting for years now.. I have over 200 on my garage walls and a few are worth some big money ..each state has a few that are worth a lot .. like for instance the 1928 Idaho plate with the big potatoe on it ,, a set is worth around a $1000 dollars and a single is worth over $250 depending on its straightness and color .. .. I think I have a 1926 W Virginia plate and it maybe close to a $100 these days as license plates have gone up..
Old 12-03-2022, 01:01 PM   #20
1968k20

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel29gm View Post
Let me know if you want to sell any please
Yanmar Tractor 3 Cyl Diesel
1968k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:45 PM   #21
special-K
Special Order

I have some porcelain plate from the teens, nineteen teens, when they first went into use. They became required but the state didn't issue them. Mine are marked on the back "Superior Novelty Co.". I think they made porcelain signs and got into making tags once they were required.

Tim

Old 12-01-2022, 08:14 PM   #22
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I have some porcelain plate from the teens, nineteen teens, when they first went into use. They became required but the state didn't issue them. Mine are marked on the back "Superior Novelty Co.". I think they made porcelain signs and got into making tags once they were required.
Hang on to them Tim your grandkids will like em,, I think thats where mine will go unless I have to sell them to buy gas.. ha ha

I do know that some porcelain plates ,If I remember correctly Delaware with the numbers 1-2-3-4 -5 or so that one guy owns them all and he paid something like hundreds of thousands of dollars each to buy them as they are the very first ones given out in that state ,, also a low numbered Alaska tag 1911 is worth one heck a lot too ,, it all started before 1911 with the states asking people to write down a number on a piece of cardboard and hook it the front of the car ..

The 1928 Idaho Plate has a big potato on it and it is was the first state to put a picture on a"Pacific Wonerland" and then in 2012 they put out a flat plate with this inscription and since then none at all ,,this is on their regular plates ,, all state have some that are rare and worth a lot ,,
Old 12-01-2022, 08:58 PM   #23
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Quote:
A friend of mine gave me a pair of these frames when he moved to California and worked at DE ANZA Chevrolet back in 1964. They have been on the same car ever since, my 1936 Ford Coupe.

LockDoc
Re-post from this thread:

https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=787835

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:02 PM   #24
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

He kept the car tags, these are dealership with name, town etc. 700 is a conservative number I think it will be more.
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:57 PM   #25
yuccales

My first tax paying job I had. Started in detail then lof's and PDI's. First car came from there.
Attached Images

yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote