The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67chevytruck View Post
Nice progress Alan!
Thanks Man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl08 View Post
Alan, the guy my paint and body shop sends there upholstery jobs to costs way more than that (I KNOW THIS GUY IS VERY PROUD OF HIS WORK). But he has no competition around him and he does excellent work. He charged my buddy $2k for the 2 front buckets and back seat of his S-10 blazer, custom tweed two tone job. So your price seems about right if its good work. Just my input. I think no matter what you pay, in the end with houndstooth will be super sweet.
Thanks for the input. I haven't taken the time to do any more research on this yet, but I will do some shopping around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
I'm liking the 4 days a week thing. I'm with ya Strodder. I like the seat material Allan.
Thanks Dave. I'd much rather work 3 12 hour days and off 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbed70 View Post
Dang I like the look of that smooth bed. I like the fuel door too.
Thanks, it's starting to take shape. I believe the bed has been more work than the cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66farmer View Post
Alen
What kind of over spray are you getting in your shop when you spray primer.
I injoy watching your work.
Thanks
Thanks for the comment. When spraying primer I don't get much overspray. Plus I open up the shop and turn the fans on and blow it out the door. I get more overspray spraying top coats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Alan, I took my frame down to a local shop here, he wanted $400-$450 to rebuild the seat frame springs, new burlap, and a single color vinyl with only simple vertical pleats in it.
Thanks Karl,

After a white knuckle ride taking my bed to work on a trailer mounted on the stand, I finally got there. I had that gut feeling that I shouldn't do it that day, but I powered through it and made it.

Today I got to start blocking on it. I started out with 120 on a long block. I normally try to start with 180, but had some areas that I thought would need another wipe. I guide coated it and worked on the outside of the LT bedside. When blocking I generally leave my body lines til the last.

It's hard to explain how I block something this big. But here it goes. I start on one end of a panel. I pick an area of the same shape. For this example let's take the big part of the bedside where the fuel door is. I start sanding with my long block on an area as long as the block. Once I get the primer half gone in that area I start tappering it into the next section adjcent to where I'm sanding and start blending the two areas together. Once the 2nd area is half done the first area should be done. Then I repeat on down the panel. You can kind of see that description in the pic above and below.

Done blocking with 120. Now I will guide coat and block with 180. Then reprime and block one more time with 180. Hopefully reprime and do my final sanding with 400.

Here is an assortment of blocks and pads I used today. The soft pads work great in the sharp contours.

Last edited by Alan's Classic; 12-08-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote