The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2021, 03:01 PM   #1
ryans69chevy

Opinions on brakes and wheel combo

I'd like to make my chassis into a roller so I'm trying to solve my brake and wheel predicament hoping I can get some suggestions.

'69 2wd long bed with a 489 big block. Ive been working on it for 10 years or so now. When I was getting into it years ago I purchased a 13" Baer brake front kit that came with drop spindles 6 lug. After searching for wheels I found I couldn't find many 6 lug wheel combos that I liked, so when I ordered my new dana 60 rear end I had it built for a 5 lug wheel using Ford torino axle flanges. I have the front end suspension all connected. I called Baer and I can order new 5 lug hats for my rotors to turn the front into a lug assembly to match the back.

I would love to have a pair of truck rallye wheels on my truck, but with my rotors being 13" I need at least a 17" wheel. I couldn't find any trucks with this size rallye installed to see if it would look alright or not. Wheel Vinteques sells a 17x9 rallye for about $300 while a 15" rallye is about $100.

I'm just trying to figure out if I should just start over and purchase an 11" brake kit so I can utilize the 15" wheel (change brake brand to a much cheaper option) or if I should just keep going from where I left off at and purchase from Baer the rear brakes and front hats (to make them 5x5 like the back).

The 13" rear kit is $1600 plus about $800 to make the front 5x5 then the 17" rims and tires would be about $2000 vs. starting over and buying an 11" disc brake kit and 15" wheels would be at least half the cost I'd imagine.

I'm not going to race this truck or anything. Do I need the Baer kit for my application or would a smaller rotor be just as good? I'm also trying to figure out down the road when its time to replace brake pads and rotors if I get the Baer kit, it would be smart to purchase the same rotors again which is more money than an 11" oem style rotor.

Any words of advice or suggestions would be appreciated. If anyone has seen a 17" truck rallye on our truck let me know if they look good or not.

Thanks
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote