The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2005, 12:11 AM   #1
resin addict

Question on shipping parts to Canada

We just sold an airdam for a VW Jetta on ebay...we're in Michigan, the buyer's in Alberta...It's not that heavy, maybe 10-15 lbs once its packaged, but it's going to be kind of bulky...+/- 18" x 60" x 7"...its abs plastic, so it's pretty durable, so it can get knocked around without getting damaged...the buyer indicates he's not in a big hurry, so what's the most efficient way (least expensive) to ship this?
Old 02-08-2005, 01:41 AM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

USPS is your best bet, UPS and FedEx often charge hefty import fees (if not made in North America) and some very nasty brokerage fees. USPS does have these import fees (just GST) and the brokerage fees are either very small, or don't exist at all
Old 02-08-2005, 02:15 AM   #3
raceman6135
Dino burner

If USPS won't ship it because of the length, check with Greyhound (bus). In Canada, they carry larger parts than any courier will (without charging many extra $$$$), plus they deliver damn near everywhere.

DJS
raceman6135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:20 AM   #4
HeavyD

Sorry, Greyhound won't do it. Quote from site: "GPX does not currently offer cross-border services into Mexico or Canada"
Old 02-08-2005, 04:32 AM   #5
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

I won't ship to Canada anymore.

Once the piece gets to Canada, ( depending on the size) it gets picked up by a private feight or delivery company, Then the buyer gets additional charges. Now they get ticked at us, As if we are supposed to know how there shipping sysem works.

I have had this happen 2 times. AND the tracking numbers are not tracked once they are in Canada..

I shipped a Gauge, ( actually returned it to a mislead seller) and a complete set of Rancho 9000 shocks and all the air goodies that are an option. The guy I sold the shocks to, wrote me a nasty letter because he had to pay an additional $40.00 shipping fee...
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #6
Russell
Professional Grade

Tell him that isn't your fault, those are brokerage fees, and are a part of buying parts from the states and getting them shipped to Canada. Personally, I hate it when people in the states won't ship to me, I will pay all of the shipping fees myself, and not complain about it, so I don't see why it would be an issue.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:05 AM   #7
dubie

POstal service is the most cost effective way to ship from USA to Canada and vice versa. you will get hit with a handling charge at the border and will be tacked on when you pick it up at the post office. Only other route is to go with UPS or Fed Ex

By any chance, is he in Bonnyville Alberta??

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795

Last edited by dubie; 02-08-2005 at 11:37 AM.
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:56 PM   #8
resin addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie
By any chance, is he in Bonnyville Alberta??
He's in Fort McMurray, Alberta