The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
BCOWANWHEELS

All paypal users beware....

I JUST wanted to let everybody know how people who are useing paypal to scam peple out of money and parts. it happened to me..... i sold a fella a 14 bolt rear axle assy. he paid by paypal, i shipped him the axle, he got it, a month and a half went by and he reported to paypal he just wanted his money back. paypal put a hold on my funds for parts plus shipping to and from, 30 days goes by and paypal agrees with him as they always agree with buyer so they can get double fee's and refund him the money and add return shipping to total. they take my money in my account to cover this and the fella will not send axle back, wont answer my calls or emails. come to find out this scam is going on alot. i highly recomend postal m/o or cert. checks to everybody. i sure learned a lesson and i,ll never use paypal again.
bob cowan
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16

Last edited by BCOWANWHEELS; 08-05-2009 at 01:28 AM.
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:19 AM   #2
cire

Re: All paypal users beware....

Wow, sorry to hear that!! Is that something that happened on this site? First I have heard of that going on....I use paypal all the time, and not a problem. I don't, however keep the funds in my paypal account either. I put them in my bank account ...paypal is just the middle man, so once I have the money..it goes in the bank. Just FYI. Eric
cire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:33 AM   #3
OARNGESI

Can paypal just debit your account to get there money back
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:09 AM   #4
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

If your bank account is linked to your PalPal, they can and will debit your account.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:12 AM   #5
charlesratcliff39

Sorry to hear this I prefer paypal because it protects the buyer but leave it to someone to abuse it . I don't care for mo's beacasue a couple of times it was lost in the mail.
charlesratcliff39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #6
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Anything over a couple hundred dollars I require a bank-to-bank wire transfer on my ebay auctions. It's always worked for me. Some people are nervous about giving out their bank account number and routing number, but just like they told me at the bank, that same information also goes to anyone you write a check to, it's printed on the bottom of every check, so it's nothing to worry about.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
KevsClassics
TILT COLUMN GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
I JUST wanted to let everybody know how people who are useing paypal to scam peple out of money and parts. it happened to me..... i sold a fella a 14 bolt rear axle assy. he paid by paypal, i shipped him the axle, he got it, a month and a half went by and he reported to paypal he just wanted his money back. paypal put a hold on my funds for parts plus shipping to and from, 30 days goes by and paypal agrees with him as they always agree with buyer so they can get double fee's and refund him the money and add return shipping to total. they take my money in my account to cover this and the fella will not send axle back, wont answer my calls or emails. come to find out this scam is going on alot. i highly recomend postal m/o or cert. checks to everybody. i sure learned a lesson and i,ll never use paypal again.
bob cowan
Wow! Was it a board Member?

64 Impala SS Conv

72 Blazer 2wd

75 Jimmy 2wd

63 Belair wagon

02 Silverado ext cab. DD

RIP EL JAY
KevsClassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
Skirkpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Anything over a couple hundred dollars I require a bank-to-bank wire transfer on my ebay auctions. It's always worked for me. Some people are nervous about giving out their bank account number and routing number, but just like they told me at the bank, that same information also goes to anyone you write a check to, it's printed on the bottom of every check, so it's nothing to worry about.
I own a Real Estate Co. We send hundreds of thousands of Dollars through Bank wires monthly...It is the best system for large purchases, haven't had a problem yet.

oh, and a 2001 HD 2500, 8.1 Allison Shortbed 4 Door
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Question Re: All paypal users beware....

kind of off subject but i'm curious as to why a postal money order is better than a money order from western union or some other company. trying to get a money order from my local post office is next to impossible unless you have a lot of time to waste--the lines are always out the door and we all know how slow postal employee's can be. i always buy western union money orders and have never had a problem with them. i've let several items pass when the seller only accepts a postal money order.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

^ can't do that anymore on feebay.(responding to 63/64 bowties)
for those that didn't know, they own paypal and are both run the same way- all the advantage/protection for the buyer, the seller is left in the dark cold...

ebay now requires you to accept paypal(they get that fee too!) or one of the other online payment services. (they also have a financial interest in the other payment services).

I think the only bank transfers allowed on ebay, are for realestate, ebay motors(cars not parts iirc) and business/industrial machinery

there is no longer even an option to accept a check, MO etc.
and if you type anything in your description about contact seller for payment preference, or please email me for MO, personal check etc your auction will be pulled! I know, it's happened to me and a few others I know that sell on ebay. I've tried wording my 'alternate payment' options in many ways, but ebay has some kind of program set up to pull listings with wording they don't approve of. (when they pull your listing, you don't get your listing fees back either- and they say with multiple offenses you will not be able to sell on ebay anymore)

similar to the no MO or checks(those words are instant pull ime) they also have a ban on selling Ivory for instance. But the problem is not all ivory is illegal, and there are ivory colored things that pose a big issue. my mom sells vintage clothing on ebay, if she were to list something as 'ivory colored' it will get pulled, just because of the wording. There are a whole bunch of words that will get your listing pulled.

as for paypal, there's a few things you can do.

always pay for tracking/delivery confirmation, even signature requirement. Even if you have to pay extra for it yourself, it can help in a situation where the buyer claims no receipt or similar.

do not accept 'e-checks' through paypal, myself and others I know have had more 'claim' problems with e-check than other payment sources.

and lastly, stop selling on feebay. really, they are so outrageous in their fee structure and rules, both are changed at least 2x a year, so it's hard to keep up.
It's the sellers that make money for ebay, not the buyers. The only way they will change their tune is if they see revenue dropping from lack of listings/sales. So the less we all list on ebay, the more likely sellers will get some 'protection' once again.

ok, feebay rant over...

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72

Last edited by Mordachai; 08-05-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
budnikguy

I have used Paypal for 5+ years and have had to use their seller protection as a buyer and have responded to buyer claims, the do NOT just take your money. They set requirements for you to meet when selling items and when they are investigating they ask you to supply documentation of shipping etc. It is not just a process of just taking your money away and siding with the buyer, matter of fact, for the seller to get his refund they have to provide tracking information on the return of the item for them to get their monies.
This is all presented in their policies and PayPal update of policies that are email out a few times a year, and I am sure that most of us, me included, just delete the email and do not take the time to read the updates. Specifically, if you have a PayPal transaction that is 250.00 or more, did you know that you need to have signature confirmation?! Not just tracking information...

I am not a PayPal honk, but I do like the ease of use and the immediate way to make a payment.....although the fees are getting out of whack...
budnikguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #12
big_al_71

I dont use paypal anymore either...I prefer a money order, their paypal fees sometimes are ridiculous. When I buy I usually buy brand new and I use my American Express and when I sell I prefer money order or cash.....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #13
87Bob

I am hearing more and more horror stories about PayPal and Ebay. I will not use PayPal any more. Just recently a friend of mine got shafted by Ebay. So their off my list too.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

^ I agree with the ease of use and immediate payment provided with paypal. Alot of buyers will only buy through paypal nowadays, they have gotten a good rep for buyer protection.

and yes their fees are getting more and more outrageous.

I just get irked that on ebay you have to accept paypal with the inherent issues for sellers...

like I said, I always pay extra myself for the signature, a small cost to prevent an' future issue.
I've had a number of issues with them, and without the proof I've been able to provide(tracking and delivery confirmation with signature AND pictures of the item being packed before shipping showing no damage, and proper shipping methods) I would have had more 'chargebacks' than I care to think about.

there's too many unscrupulous people out there looking for a 'sucker'

Last edited by Mordachai; 08-05-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #15
70k52wd
Blaze-Air

Wire transfer is the only safe transfer of funds now days.
70k52wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #16
lyrikz
PITbut

Quote:
Originally Posted by budnikguy View Post
I have used Paypal for 5+ years and have had to use their seller protection as a buyer and have responded to buyer claims, the do NOT just take your money. They set requirements for you to meet when selling items and when they are investigating they ask you to supply documentation of shipping etc. It is not just a process of just taking your money away and siding with the buyer, matter of fact, for the seller to get his refund they have to provide tracking information on the return of the item for them to get their monies.
This is all presented in their policies and PayPal update of policies that are email out a few times a year, and I am sure that most of us, me included, just delete the email and do not take the time to read the updates. Specifically, if you have a PayPal transaction that is 250.00 or more, did you know that you need to have signature confirmation?! Not just tracking information...

I am not a PayPal honk, but I do like the ease of use and the immediate way to make a payment.....although the fees are getting out of whack...
When you get ****ed by paypal, which you well if you ever sell anything, come back in here and rewrite this message.

THe seller always gets screwed... My wife sends alot of stuff and has to use paypal. She sent a package, with tracking, with signature. The cust. stated they didnt get the package.. But it was signed for and dropped off. They took the money out of our account.... Case closed. EFF EBAY and paypal.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=676047

My new YOUTUBE channel.. Videos of my truck and a current walk around.
Lyrikz74 Youtube channel DONE! SOLD!

My 1971 stepside build thread
My Build Thread UPDATED 6/11. DONE
and sold.
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #17
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordachai View Post
^ can't do that anymore on feebay.(responding to 63/64 bowties)

ebay now requires you to accept paypal(they get that fee too!) or one of the other online payment services. (they also have a financial interest in the other payment services).

I think the only bank transfers allowed on ebay, are for realestate, ebay motors(cars not parts iirc) and business/industrial machinery
Yea, I was talking about ebay Motors. I just sold a truck on ebay last Sunday and I got the wire transfer from the buyer yesterday. PayPal charged me $15 for the $500 deposit. That's insane, but whadda ya gonna do.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi

Last edited by 63 & 64 Bowties; 08-05-2009 at 12:16 PM.
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #18
sjarrett71

I miss the days of Ebay when it was individuals on there selling. Now it's all companies and Ebay stores. I wish there was a way to filter everyone out but individual sellers.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #19
mclairmo

I've been and Ebay seller and buyer since 1999 and they are pretty good if you are the buyer but if are the seller, you are usually screwed. I only sell on Craigslist now and take cash in person only.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #20
BCOWANWHEELS

my incedent was not with anyone from this site. totally unrelated from this board. i,ve had nothing but good dealins with everybody off this site and i recomend it to everybody who has chevy trucks every chance i get. and the info is super too. seems like there are thing i dont know about my trucks but theres always someone on this site who always bails me out when trouble spots hits. this site is such a blessing to me.
bob
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #21
Sillyoldman

I lost $70.00 with a resume service. The itch-with-a-B even told Paypal she did not make a resume for me or provide any services. Paypal favored on her behalf. PP stinks.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #22
budnikguy

I have 1800+ transaction on Ebay, most as a seller...so I guess I do have some knowledge on this... I have had my run in's with Paypal and Ebay, but, for the service provided this is minimal. I could not argue that there constant changes of policy are difficult to keep up with.... I think Ebay in particular needs to have some type of a buyers fee, like any other auction, which could allow lower fees for sellers. In regard to PayPal, they do tend to side with buyers to easily, but, so does a certain credit card company...AMERICAN EXPRESS! They are a company that reacts to a consumers complaint with immediate removal of funds form a retailer and then notifies the retailer 5-7 business days later, retailer has to jump through various hoops to prove a purchase, and then takes another 5-7 business days to re deposit funds.. assuming they side with the retailer.
I have owned my own business for 25 years now and these are occurrences that I deal with on a semi regular basis...these type of hassles, fees, etc are what makes it difficult to be successful in small business and a large part of what the word "overhead" means when talking about operating a business..
I guess the answer is buyer beware......seller beware..

and do not get me started on shipping co's damaging product...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrikz View Post
When you get ****ed by paypal, which you well if you ever sell anything, come back in here and rewrite this message.

THe seller always gets screwed... My wife sends alot of stuff and has to use paypal. She sent a package, with tracking, with signature. The cust. stated they didnt get the package.. But it was signed for and dropped off. They took the money out of our account.... Case closed. EFF EBAY and paypal.
budnikguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #23
kevmic28

Craigslist is the only way I do it now. I only look on Ebay for ideas or as a last resort. Cl and cash in hand is the only way to do business.
kevmic28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:19 AM   #24
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
If your bank account is linked to your PalPal, they can and will debit your account.
You can stop them though through your bank (If your bank will do this). My bank has instructions that Paypal cannot withdraw from my account for any reason unless they (the bank) call me to verify first. Paypal has gotten denied several times. I've never had to ok any withdrawal because when I buy something, I put the money in paypal myself so there's no reason for them to take anything on their own.

So I do like cire does, paypals only the middle man, when funds are transferred to me, they go right into my bank account nice and safe (if anything's safe anymore.)
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #25
Chevy Fleetside

I think what they are doing is not legal. sounds like they are controling what you are able to do and someone out there frowns on that. Who can we talk to about it. They need to be investigated, or get something started even if it dosn't go anywhere.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote