The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
DetroitIron

New from SW Michigan

Hi All. Love this site and looking at all the projects. Recently decided that having an old truck would be handy for camping, hauling stuff, etc. So I couldn't pass on an 85 K20 that I found recently... It's a "project" and not a daily driver so I'm looking forward to tinkering with it this summer. Just had the 700R trans rebuilt with a new oil cooler. Wife has asked me to fix the oil leak next that is messing up our garage floor. The trans shop says the engine oil pan is rotted and leaking...SO my question is can I replace the pan and seal with the engine in the truck? It sure looks like there's enough room to drop it, but I've read/heard different things....Anybody know is this is doable?? Many thanks

Last edited by DetroitIron; 07-31-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: misspelled
DetroitIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

Re: New from SW Michigan

Hey welcome neighbor, I live in the area east of the GR airport! Your oil pan job shouldn't take much work with the engine in the truck, other than the crap and crud falling in your face while you're under it... But there's room! If need be you could jack up the truck a bit and use the frame rails for the jackstands instead of the axle tube. That'll give you some more room to work. How's your oil pressure? If it's somewhat low it might be a good time to plastigauge the main/rod bearings and replace the oil pump...

four on the floor feel the beat in your soul
movin to the rhythym pumpin til ya cant take no more
dance if you want to do what you came to
you cant ignore the feeling of that four on the floor
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote