The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
bollybib

Re: Jim's 1969 Custom/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
Looks like theres a whole bunch of us with the same truck same color even!
Ya this is the saddle/white lwb fleet club so far haha. Sounds like you are on to a sizable project. I'd like to see some pics. I might have interest in your tailgate depending on what it looks like. Retirement is such a luxury, I enjoy the stress-free aspect of it immensely. Have a nice day.

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
67chevy1series

good lookin truck jim.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
bollybib

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
good lookin truck jim.
Thanks Rick, I got a big kick out of your cool whitewalls not long ago, I laughed so hard . http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...postcount=1815.

Looks like you have one of the longest build threads here, 1,909 posts as of a few minutes ago. It took me forever to find that whitewall post again. haha

Keep at it, you have a cool lookin machine there.

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
Old 07-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
67chevy1series

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollybib View Post
Thanks Rick, I got a big kick out of your cool whitewalls not long ago, I laughed so hard . http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...postcount=1815.

Looks like you have one of the longest build threads here, 1,909 posts as of a few minutes ago. It took me forever to find that whitewall post again. haha

Keep at it, you have a cool lookin machine there.
haha man if you knew me outside of a computer you'd know i joke around alot! haha thnaks jim ya its pretty long build thread, i have to put links up when i tell people stuff in ti and they want to see lol.
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #5
Stricklinator

Good stuff Jim! I am really enjoying your build thread. I am sure I'll be using a lot of your posts to help me with my truck. I am slowly going through everything on my truck to make it safe and comfortable. It is tough working in a carport and we aren't technically allowed to where I live so it is VERY slow going- I make do watching great build threads like yours!

Paul
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
bollybib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stricklinator View Post
Good stuff Jim! I am really enjoying your build thread. I am sure I'll be using a lot of your posts to help me with my truck. I am slowly going through everything on my truck to make it safe and comfortable. It is tough working in a carport and we aren't technically allowed to where I live so it is VERY slow going- I make do watching great build threads like yours!

Paul
Posted via Mobile Device
Hi Paul,
I understand the slow part for sure. I think the key is just to keep plugging away little by little, no matter how little that may be. I understand how frustrating it must be for you to have limited work space. I've been in that situation, too. I'm very lucky now to have lots of time, enough money, and adequate facilities to goof around with this big toy. Our trucks are very much alike so I hope you will find some of my info here useful in the future.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
plummen

Quote:
Ya this is the saddle/white lwb fleet club so far haha. Sounds like you are on to a sizable project. I'd like to see some pics. I might have interest in your tailgate depending on what it looks like. Retirement is such a luxury, I enjoy the stress-free aspect of it immensely. Have a nice day.
yeah everyday is a monday!
ill see if i can get some pictures posted later tonight
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
camrycurt

Jim,

I just found your thread and have read almost all the way through it. I love your detailed write-ups and all the pictures, and really appreciate the explanations of your trouble-shooting steps - this is a great help to me, especially as I need to replace the carrier bearing, ujoints, and exhaust on my little C/10 and am not sure where to start. I hope you don't mind a few questions from me as I plan to tackle those projects.

By the way, as a 30-something with two young kids eventually headed for college and another 30 years of work ahead of me, I'm particularly jealous of statements like this:
Quote:
Retirement is such a luxury, I enjoy the stress-free aspect of it immensely.
I'm counting the days until I can say the same thing.

But on the driveshaft work, do you mind explaining how to remove and install the ujoints? I saw this in your post:
Quote:
It’s been many years since I worked on UJs, so I fiddled around a while until I got a method worked out. I ended up using a 6" C-clamp and a 1 5/8" socket for a press to remove and install them which worked reasonably well.
but could use a little more instruction if you don't mind.

Also, how did you install the new carrier bearing? Is this something I can do without specialized tools, or did you use your shop press?

And finally, I don't understand how you used the caps to help remove the driveshaft yoke:
Quote:
Instead of pulling directly on the yoke, I inserted a pair of old trunnion bearing caps with their openings outward and pulled against them, not the yoke.
How does this help take the excess stress off of the yoke? I'm sure you didn't take any pictures, but would you mind providing a little more detail on how this is done?

Anyway, sorry to hit you with so many questions out of the block. I hope you don't mind (no good deed goes unpunished, you know!).

Thanks for the help!

1970 C/10, 250 L6 with Rochester BV carb, SM465 4 speed, 3.73 open rear
camrycurt is offline   Reply With Quote