The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
ner0

72 long bed stepper

I have a straight 6 in my 72 c-10 that started giving me fits shortly after I bought the truck. The first thing I did in the attempt to get it back running was to do a tune up. I replaced the wires rotor plugs cap and coil. The damn thing started running worse so next I checked the inlet of my carb to find that there was no filter and that the last time it was “rebuilt/rigged” someone did it wrong. I purchased a remanufactured carb from National Carburetor in Jacksonville fl, the sales man was cool but he got fired shortly after taking my order and I ended up waiting an extra 2 weeks to get my carb and they had their $ from day one that pissed me off real good. When I got it home fuel was pouring down the side of the carb on to my exhaust manifold so I thought it would be best to bring it back to them. They rebuilt it and it made their test engine run like a beast. When I put it on my truck it ran like a sick dog… I called a guy to come look at my truck and after a few trips up and down my street with him under the hood sitting on the wheel well I the only thing that changed was I was forty dollars poorer. My wife saw my truck going down the street with a little man under the hood and freaked out… lol I let the truck sit for about a year after that I didn’t even log into the site much after that either. My cousin gave me a 350 that had a bad wrist pin on one of the pistons, but I never did anything with it except put it under the table in my garage. Then in December I went through one of the worst events I had ever faced in life. I didn’t come out of it the way I wanted but it could have been much worse, I thank God for keeping me through it all and I don’t think I have gone more than 48 hours without coming to tears since it all happened that morning.
Well somehow I decided to start messing with the truck again I changed my distributor to an HEI and replaced the wires again don’t ask why but I did. Made a new fuel line from my new fuel pump to the carb and….. Still the same problem it idles very smoothly but bogs down and dies when I get to 3rd gear. So I say to hell with the stinkin truck until a deacon from my church tells me to come get a 350 from him that he had laying around in his garage. He has been trying to sell me this engine ever since I got the truck but I never would bite so he ended up giving it to me even though the engine came out of a van it is a 2bolt main but that is fine since it was free. I tore it down pressure washed it 3 times and put it on the stand to get it ready for paint. I am going to put timing gears on it. If I can get my hands on a compression tester and the cylinders are still within specs I am going to see about a nice “RV” cam or something that will work well with whatever gears I have on my truck and the 3 speed. Tomorrow I am off to rusty acres for a serpentine belt assembly…

This is my truck...

i put it on jackstands to keep from pissing off the neighbors

i picked up a better set of wheels on craigslist, the other set a bad rim...

the original fuel line set up

the new fuel lines with HEI dist

The 350 minus the 700 r tranny no complaints its free! he had a shopping cart for an engine stand smh

my wife was pissed when she saw i bought that lift

She hasnt seen the engine stand lol

I dont have any one helping me so i bought an engine leveler also help me when i line up the engine and tranny...

Old 04-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
ner0

Re: 72 long bed stepper

well my free 350 turned out to be a free 305...

my motor mounts arrived so out with the 250 and in with the 305...
Old 04-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
dmack91

On the 250, could it have jumped a tooth on the timing gear, or have the distributor a tooth off?

Good luck with the swap. Hope life makes a good turn for you , sounds like you could use one.

Last edited by dmack91; 04-15-2011 at 03:14 PM.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
ner0

Thanks Dmack, things are looking up i didnt mean to sound so down trodden in my intro...
Old 02-17-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
ner0

Well its been almost a year since I did anything to my truck...

Here is the 305 all painted up...

here is where its been for the past 9 months

This is another 305 that i took out of a 79 monte i recently scored...
I dont know why i am comming accross so many 305s but with the current price of gas it may turn out to be a blessing in disguse. The guy who sold me the monte assured me it was a 350 but when i started running it after a quick tune up it still felt gutless. When i pulled the engine and tranny is when i discovered it was a 305... SMH

i have been spraying these all day....

here is the doner car (my neighbors probably hate me... lol)

if you are interested in 78 monte parts here is a good link to get some...

http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=35427