The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.
Re: My Unexpected '66 SWB-Fleet-Restomod Project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
i used sikkens brand base and clear, it was given to me by a paint rep, as far as the rubbing went i ultrafined it with 1500 then 3000 and used 3m rubbing compound with a wool pad, then went to 3m polish and a less coarse wool pad then 3m ultrafine mahine polish with a black foam pad. as far as the price of the clear you were talking about sounds about right and it actually a little cheaper than the sikkens, but here is one place you dont want to scrimp on materials. better materials longer its gonna last.as far as my paint job goes i have pretty much done it all except re -spraying my bed and drivers door,my friend who owns a body shop and was letting me use his booth was a little slow so he did it while i was at work, good to have friends.
How much base & clear did you end up using?
Did you paint the bottom of your cab & inside the fenders with it too?
I'm trying to get a good idea of how much product that I need to buy, because I want the color to be from the same lot.
I was already thinking that I would need 2 Gallons of clear, unless I pick a color that I can single stage the underside with, and about the same with basecoat....Also pondering the idea of wetsanding it with a DA & 3M foam backed sanding media. I already have all of the 3M polishing media & foam pads.
Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote