The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
1965c1O

Talking Help verifying shop manuals for '65 c10

Hi,

Can you please verify that these are the correct shop manuals needed for a 1965 c10.

Thank You!
1965c1O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Realnoisy

Re: Help verifying shop manuals for '65 c10

Don't get that Supplement one. I made that mistake and returned it. It's not for C-10's it's for bigger trucks.
Realnoisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
1965c1O

Woogeroo,

This shows to get the "1965 Chevy Truck Shop Manual Supplement"

but "Realnoisy" says it's wrong ?

Have you seen the supplement and is it for bigger trucks like he says?

wow, thanks for the faq link!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
1965c1O

Realnoisy,

Did you have to get another supplement or something?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
ACK

If you get the CD, it contains the '63 shop manual plus the '64, '65, and '66 supplements.

The manual and supplements covers pickups through tandem axles (10 - 80 series), I'm looking at my '64 supplement book right now.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Realnoisy

Yes, I bought the same exact book. I didn't realize it was a "Supplement" when I purchased it. I was disappointed as it had very little information on the C-10 so I returned it. Maybe it's what you are looking for. If you purchase it, make sure you can get refunded if it's not.
Realnoisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
jayoldschool

The 65 doesn't have much in it because it is not a complete manual, it is a supplement only. When used with the 1963 FSM, you have everything you need. BTW, you can always find them on ebay, and if you are patient, you can get good deals. I like paper manuals, so I buy originals. I got my 63 and 65 sup for ten bucks each on ebay.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
1965c1O

Realnoisy,,

Yeah, I have a c10 so no point in getting it.

So what do you use for a supplement, the CDs that ACK is talking about or is the 1963 manual enough?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
1965c1O

ACK,

I was hoping to get a physical book rather than CD's but maybe that is the way to go...

Are the supplements on the CD actually helpful or is the base 63 shop manual enough?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #10
1965c1O

jayoldschool,

wow! $10

I understand the supplement doesn't have a lot in it, but does it help for a c10 when used with the full 63 manual or does it still only cover supplement info for 65 larger trucks?
Old 02-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965c1O View Post
I understand the supplement doesn't have a lot in it, but does it help for a c10 when used with the full 63 manual or does it still only cover supplement info for 65 larger trucks?
The 63 manual is a MUST HAVE. The 65 supplement is all the ADDITIONAL info that you need to know about your C10 (and other models as well). There were a few changes made to the C10 trucks since they published the 63 manual, but not enough to justify printing a whole new manual, so they just printed the changes as a supplement.

Whenever I work on my 65 C10, I always consult the 65 supplement first. If it's not covered there, then it's gonna be covered in the 63 manual.

These books always hold most of their value if cared for. They pay for themselves by saving you time and MONEY. It has all the torque specs for most simple DIY jobs. Most answers are easy to find if you have these books. You'd spend a lot more time online trying to get your answers.

Shop around and get a good price, but you'll never be sorry you have them on the shelf. Just my 2 cents.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #12
jayoldschool

Couldn't have said that better myself. I own GM FSMs for all my vehicles. That's about one yard wide of FSMs... lol
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #13
ACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965c1O View Post
ACK,

I was hoping to get a physical book rather than CD's but maybe that is the way to go...

Are the supplements on the CD actually helpful or is the base 63 shop manual enough?
The good thing about the CDs, they're searchable and if someone points out a difference in a particular year, you can check it out (eg: '64 vs '66 parking brake). You can also copy the CD onto multiple computers, so you can check things out at work or home.

The down side with the CD, sometimes it's easier to page through the book and some of the renderings on the CD are muddy.

Bottom line, I refer to the supplement from time-to-time and glad I have it. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination and I don't want to guess at things, so it's helpful to me.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
ljackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogeroo View Post
Who makes... or I guess... who sells the best version of the manuals on CD ?

Opinions anyone?

-W
I was wondering the same thing. I definitely want a version that is searchable. I need to work on my steering column. So to begin to answer Woogeroo's question...

I see that there are 2 shop manuals on CD listed on Amazon today. The first amazon link is offered by American Classic Truck Parts for $19.95. It does not mention being searchable in the description. The 2nd amazon link is by Bishko Books for $36.48. It does say it is searchable. I was wondering if the difference in price could be that one is searchable and the other not?

1963 1964 1965 1966 Chevy Truck Shop Manuals CD :... 1963 1964 1965 1966 Chevy Truck Shop Manuals CD :...
1963 1964 1965 1966 Chevy Pickup Truck Shop... 1963 1964 1965 1966 Chevy Pickup Truck Shop...

I called the number listed on the page: http://www.classictruck.com/ (which is one of the choices listed after an internet search for American Classic Truck Parts). I spoke to James. He said he did not know. After holding for a minute or so, he came back and said he put one of the CD's in his computer. He asked me what I would like to search for. I had him search “steering column”. He said it brought back about 20 results for steering related page numbers. Not bad results, considering thumbing through a few hundred pages is aggravating to say the least. Pretty good customer service too.

FYI concerning American Classic Truck Parts, James said that they sell the same parts from several websites. http://americanclassic.com/, www.classictruck.com, www.classicpartsUSA.com, they also have ebay and amazon storefronts. He said that generally http://americanclassic.com/ has the best prices listed.

I'm going to order the manual on CD from American Classic Truck Parts amazon store today and report back. I believe the 2 manuals mentioned here are the same. If someone here has bought the one from Bishko Books, maybe we can compare them to say for certain.

http://zacks64longfleet.shutterfly.com/

Higher res. photos in my gallery.

Last edited by ljackson; 02-22-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling
ljackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
ChevySixty6

I prefer to go 'ol skool and opt for the paper version instead of the CD. When you're working on a vehicle, it's easier to page through instead of trying to key in info, and keep the laptop keys clean. As far as searching, the paper version is easy to use.

Just my .02
Old 02-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #16
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySixty6 View Post
I prefer to go 'ol skool and opt for the paper version instead of the CD. When you're working on a vehicle, it's easier to page through instead of trying to key in info, and keep the laptop keys clean. As far as searching, the paper version is easy to use.

Just my .02
My FSM book beats the CD ROM hands down and I can see the whole page.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
ljackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySixty6 View Post

Just my .02
I got ya. I thought I had read where the index was incomplete in the reproduction paper version of the 63 shop manual. Do you have one that's got a good index? Is it an original?

I have on old laptop I can use in the garage.

http://zacks64longfleet.shutterfly.com/

Higher res. photos in my gallery.
ljackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
Lugnutz65

The front of the book has an index of subjects. I'd like the convenience of doing a search with a computer, but it's not a big deal to me.

I have original manuals. There isn't any section in the back where you can look for "steering column" or "brakes" or "transmission" and see what pages have that subject covered.

Maybe if I had a laptop I'd have a different opinion of the CD versions, but for me, I like the actual books. Plus a simple bookmark works for things I need to get a 2nd look at, like torque specs etc.

If you have a laptop, you might try the discs. You'll spend a lot more money on other stuff so it's not a big $ item in the long run anyway. It's nice to be able to find the info you want yourself.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogeroo View Post
There are some other manuals listed there, like the 'factory accessory' manual... which covers every accessory doodad for that year model, not just the trucks...
The Accessories Installation Manual does not cover EVERY accessory installation in a particular year. It's great to review when your dismantling an accessory off a truck for fasteners and clips and such. Remember as well, there will be more than one accessory on a truck, nobody can order just one! These manuals are reproduced on CD and Paper versions

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1

Last edited by aerotruk63; 02-22-2013 at 03:44 PM.
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #20
1965c1O

Does anyone know how big a difference there is between the 1963 ST 22 vs. ST 61 or what the differences are in? i.e just interior trim or much more?

Chevy Truck Manuals :: 1960 - 1966:
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/ch...uals_60_66.htm
Old 03-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #21
jocko

the 65 supp should have all the interior differences (recall 63 is the double bubble dash, completely different) - and, therefore, any different wiring, heater/ac cable routing, etc etc. That alone is reason enough to buy the supp, in my book. The reason that the 63 manual is so big (i.e. new from 60-62) is the transition from torsion bar to front coil spring susp. 64 is a cab change from 60-63 (and brought about the interior differences as well).

I had a 66, and owned the 63 fsm and 66 supp, used them both just like lugnutz said, and in the same order.

SEARCHABLE cd's are nice - but keep in mind not all are searchable. Also, the shop manuals and chassis service manuals are laid out in a logical order and it's relatively easy to find stuff, so a searchable CD is not as important to me. However, I DO wish a searchable ASSEMBLY manual was available - that thing sucks!! for organization, but it is incredibly helpful once you find the particular page you're looking for. For any truck I have owned, I buy the chassis service manual pertinent to it (and any associated supplements) and the assembly manual, even if it is disorganized...
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #22
1965c1O

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
the 65 supp should have all the interior differences (recall 63 is the double bubble dash, completely different) - and, therefore, any different wiring, heater/ac cable routing, etc etc. That alone is reason enough to buy the supp, in my book. The reason that the 63 manual is so big (i.e. new from 60-62) is the transition from torsion bar to front coil spring susp. 64 is a cab change from 60-63 (and brought about the interior differences as well).

I had a 66, and owned the 63 fsm and 66 supp, used them both just like lugnutz said, and in the same order.

SEARCHABLE cd's are nice - but keep in mind not all are searchable. Also, the shop manuals and chassis service manuals are laid out in a logical order and it's relatively easy to find stuff, so a searchable CD is not as important to me. However, I DO wish a searchable ASSEMBLY manual was available - that thing sucks!! for organization, but it is incredibly helpful once you find the particular page you're looking for. For any truck I have owned, I buy the chassis service manual pertinent to it (and any associated supplements) and the assembly manual, even if it is disorganized...
Thanks jocko.

I'm definitely going to get the 65 supplement.

However, I found the st-22 '63 shop manual for a really, really good price!

I'm, hoping there is not a big difference between having the:

'63 st-22 + '65 supplement
vs.
'63 st-61 + '65 supplement.