The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
D13

Converting 1980's 2wd 5 lug to 6 lug

I swear I've seen part of this before but just can't seem to put it all together.

I have several late 80's 2wd trucks, with both thick and thin rotors. I'm becoming annoyed at the limited rim and tire options of 15". The 16" 5 bolt rims are not common (ie cheap). So what i was looking at was swapping to 6 lug, allowing access to the full range of late model rims and a wide tire selection.

In the front, CPP sells 6 bolt disc rotors that are direct fit to the factory spindles. Given they fit all the way back to 73, am I correct in assuming these are the thicker version?

I belive in the back I can use a 4wd axle to get six lug, correct? Moser sells replacements with 6 or 5 bolt patterns in 28 spline, but only 5 bolt in 30 spline. Wouldn't the K5 and K10 Burb 89 up be 30 spline 6 bolt?

From what I have seen this pretty much eliminates the ability for inexpensive discs in the rear. Didn't GM have such a package on some 8.6 axles recently? What's different in the rear axle that makes it not a bolt on?
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Converting 1980's 2wd 5 lug to 6 lug

Answers in RED.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
I swear I've seen part of this before but just can't seem to put it all together.

I have several late 80's 2wd trucks, with both thick and thin rotors. I'm becoming annoyed at the limited rim and tire options of 15". The 16" 5 bolt rims are not common (ie cheap). So what i was looking at was swapping to 6 lug, allowing access to the full range of late model rims and a wide tire selection.

In the front, CPP sells 6 bolt disc rotors that are direct fit to the factory spindles. Given they fit all the way back to 73, am I correct in assuming these are the thicker version?
Correct.

I belive in the back I can use a 4wd axle to get six lug, correct? Moser sells replacements with 6 or 5 bolt patterns in 28 spline, but only 5 bolt in 30 spline. Wouldn't the K5 and K10 Burb 89 up be 30 spline 6 bolt?
6-lug 4x4 axles are the easy way to convert.

From what I have seen this pretty much eliminates the ability for inexpensive discs in the rear. Didn't GM have such a package on some 8.6 axles recently? What's different in the rear axle that makes it not a bolt on?
The other thing is the later disc equipped rear ends are also wider.
Swapping or using later model larger diameter wheels is not always the inexpensive route once all the extra parts & time are considered for the swap.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
mobilemechanic

I am planing on doing the same thing to my 72 c10. A friend of mine bought the 6 lug rotors and drilled them out for the larger lug studs used on the later trucks. I also have a 2001 1500 rear diff assy that I'm wanting to install but not finding any info on how well it fits.
Posted via Mobile Device
mobilemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
D13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Swapping or using later model larger diameter wheels is not always the inexpensive route once all the extra parts & time are considered for the swap.
True. But my rear axles are worn out, at least one of the brake drums is shot, park brake doesn't work, and it needs new tires. Front suspension needs a rebuild and I'd like to lower it a bit. So if I'm buying new spindles and bearings the $150 for 6 lug rotors isn't a big deal. And 6 lug wheels are cheap around here. Since it's not a road racer (6.2 diesel power) the rear disc brakes are probably unimportant. I'd really like to access heavier sidewall tires which seems to be difficult in the size I'm after (29-30"). So I might as well step up to the 16" rims.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote