The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
RIDE-RED 350r

Anybody else into ATC's?? Other obsessions?

I like old stuff from my childhood. Recently acquired my first square body since I was in high school. It's kind of cool because it is the same year as I am... A '78 K-10.

I also have 2 other obsessions that I just cannot seem to satisfy my insatiable appetite for... Old Smith and Wesson revolvers and Honda ATC's.

I currently have (2) 1985 ATC250R's. One of which has an ESR 350 big bore top end with a bunch of quality supporting mods. The other is a stock top end with good bolt-on mods. Also have an '86 ATC350X that is currently undergoing a refresh, this is my wife's machine. Next in the stable is a near mint, all original except for the rear tires '84 Big Red 200. Then there is the '85 ATC110 and I have an 198? ATC70 that is paid for that I have not brought home yet.

We also have a couple of those 4 wheeled contraptions..

I have several Smith wheelguns and it seems as though every time I think my modest little collection is complete, something else comes along that I get enamored with until I add it to the safe. I only have 3 autos.... They just don't tickle me like a good quality revolver.

I was just curious as to what my fellow GM truck enthusiasts are into other than our trucks.

I can post some pics of my other toys if anyone is interested.

Feel free to post up your other hobbies and interests that get you into trouble with the Missus!
RIDE-RED 350r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
K10Scottsdale78

Re: Anybody else into ATC's?? Other obsessions?

I actually grew up learning to ride a 3 wheeler instead of a 4 wheeler! So much more dangerous than a 4 wheeler but still a blast to ride. My dads got 2 honda big reds. Only 1 works though thanks to me blowing the motor on one of them a couple years ago... We also have a restored 1970 honda ct70
5spd (gas saving daily driver)
-1969 Pontiac Firebird (post-college project car)
K10Scottsdale78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #3
K10Scottsdale78

Quote:
Originally Posted by K10Scottsdale78 View Post
I actually grew up learning to ride a 3 wheeler instead of a 4 wheeler! So much more dangerous than a 4 wheeler but still a blast to ride. My dads got 2 honda big reds. Only 1 works though thanks to me blowing the motor on one of them a couple years ago... We also have a restored 1970 honda ct70
Heres the ct70 we got, havent ridden it much since my high school days
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
RIDE-RED 350r

WOW that's clean!

A couple of my toys...
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
K10Scottsdale78

wow those are in great shape! my dads rigs aren't nearly that clean, we use ours mainly to haul firewood out of the woods, and occasionally take them off road in the summer for fun. Ill have to take a picture of em next time im home
Old 05-02-2014, 04:39 AM   #6
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I had a go on one of those three wheelers at some corporate day we did years ago, I found it to be terrifyingly unstable when cornering at any speed!

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
RIDE-RED 350r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippyp View Post
I had a go on one of those three wheelers at some corporate day we did years ago, I found it to be terrifyingly unstable when cornering at any speed!

Just gotta know how to ride em.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
jjzepplin

I don't have any pics worth taking but I have two 1969 Honda Z50's-Two 1974 QA50's and one Bastard 69 Z50 frame with SL70 forks and Swing-arm with CT70 wheels and an Honda ATC 125 engine with the low range type gearbox. Not quite finished yet with any of them due to my Chevy's taking most of my time. One of my Z50's is street legal with a license plate and all. I also have an Sl70 4 speed engine with clutch and a big bore 90cc head on it that I am not sure what to do with yet.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #9
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDE-RED 350r View Post

Feel free to post up your other hobbies and interests that get you into trouble with the Missus!
Back in Feb. I was getting ready to go to the local gun show. The wife asked if there was anything in particular I was looking for. I said I need some 223 brass. She said "but you don't have a 223". "uh, yeah. I do now. I love you honey"

I am getting into reloading my own ammo. So far I have an old Herters super 3, a Lee pro 1000, MEC 600jr, and a Pacific DL-155. The Pacific is set up for pump action 12's, the MEC is for auto 12's in duck, and clay loads. The Lee is for my handgun stuff while the Herters is for everything else. I just picked up a slab of Cambria to redo the bench. I will make a trailer hitch set-up for mounting presses and powder measures to the frame of my benches. That way the top is free of obstructions when I work in my stuff. I'm getting pretty crammed in my office with all this stuff and my hunting gear. Only 2 years until the oldest boy moves out and I take over his room.

If it walks, crawls, flies, or swims I like to put it in my freezer.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #10
RIDE-RED 350r

My brothers and I just got into reloading a little over a year ago as well.

We got a Hornady single stage press kit and a slew of other additional needed items.

The vast majority of time we spend at the press is for our handguns...pretty much everything from 380 Auto to 460 and 500 mag. It has been alot of fun making our own ammo and learning all that you do in the process. We do reload for our deer rifles as well.

It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission!!

Here is a still shot of a vid my wife took when I was firing some of my work up loads out of my 5" S&W 460....
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #11
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Mosin Nagant fire show from a handgun!!!!

One of these days I'll get a M.N. just for fun. I'm thinking night shooting at tannerite. hehehe
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #12
onebadbowtie

Had a few but sold them all

88 250r super clean

84 250r bought with back crank, rebuilt it and sold it.

ATC 70's

My current toy

94' Chevy K1500 Extended Cab 4x4 5.7
72' Chevy LWB K10, 350, SM465, NP205 Project "Daily Driver"
onebadbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #13
RIDE-RED 350r

Love em Onebadbowtie!! That '88 R is gorgeous! An '88 is my holy grail. Best performance quad ever built.

I recently acquired a frame, rear end, gutted engine, front end and a few other bits and pieces for a 2nd gen 250r ('83-'84). I'm looking forward to piecing it together. My goal is to have at least one of each of the 3 generations of ATC250r in my stable.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #14
84chevyguyid

Back in about 1980 I bought a custom frame that fit honda body parts and was set up for a 500 kawasaki triple motor. I messed with it for a few years then bought a 4wheeler and parked it. I had lots of problems with the clutch working right and ignition problems. Just sold all the motorcycle parts I had collected for it, a couple of years ago. Been trying to find a good home for the frame but no luck so far. When it ran correctly it was a blast to ride. It had an air shock on the rear suspension and I built some triple clamps for the front from an 80 yamaha or something that was short enough to match the ride height of the rear. I think it was supposed to use atc 110 body parts but they didnt fit very good so I borrowed a friends 200x one winter and redid the frame to fit those body parts. Used a vented front fender and a desert tank with flaps on the sides to funnel air to the motor. I will have to post up a couple of pics of it.
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #15
84chevyguyid

A couple of pics. Dont have any of it with the motor in it
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #16
Sillyoldman

I have a ATC200. Pretty fun if I ever decide to fix it up!

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #17
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

A 74 Z50 followed me home, I started working on it this weekend. I cleaned the carb but the intake spacer was cracked. Since I couldn't crank it and the paint/decals weren't cutting it, disassembly started. We have a couple of XR's and a quad, there's always a few bikes hanging around.
Attached Images

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #18
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Used to have Yamaha 225DR when i was stationed up in northern Maine years ago. That thing was incredible. With the reverse gear, I (almost) never had to get off the bike to get unstuck or unwedged from between trees..LOL!
Ran that thing all year round...was a pain in deep snow on trails, but traveled the roads in heavier snow just fine. Wish I could find another, have seen a few on Fleabay, but the owners wanted serious $$$ for them.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:28 PM   #19
84chevyguyid

This thread has been a bad influence on me. after seeing those nice honda's , I started looking for a 350x and bought one a month ago. Been having a blast with it. It came with an extra set of rims and paddle tires and I been to the dunes a few times (St Anthony Idaho Dunes), and last weekend participated in a charity benefit motorodeo with it. Raced around poles and and barrels with, was the only 3 wheeler. There was a photographer there and he got a fun pic of me leaving the starting line.
Came across one of my old high school buddies last week and it turns out he has an 86 250r that he bought brand new. He was in an auto accident and hurt his back and cant ride it anymore so I bought it from him. Its as close to a new trike as you can get, still has the original tires, even the original chain, he didnt ride it very often but when he did he always brought it home and cleaned it up before putting it away. Its never even had a flat tire yet, maybe it still has 1986 air in the tires, lol. His cousin has a bike shop so its over there for him to clean the carb and get it running as its been sitting for 5 years. Will post pics of it when I get it home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y3m4gKpw94
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #20
RIDE-RED 350r

Wow man! Thats an awesome find!!!

Nice 350x too!

I have alot of wrenching to do on my wheelers at the moment.... Im waiting on my 41.2mm Keihin PWK carb to arrive for my ESR 350r big bore, my 250 has broken a reed petal, the wife's 350x has decided to puke her rear axle bearings..and I just brought home a little ATC70 that needs some love!

My first ever rebuild of a rear end on my k-10 has dominated my free time for about the last 3 weeks between locating a good axle housing and rebuilding it..... And it wasn't for fun either, ring gear bolts backed out, sheared off and caused all kinds of interesting carnage. So I was under the gun to figure it out and get her back up and running so I could return a loaner vehicle my brother was kind enough to let me borrow to get to work...
Old 08-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #21
84chevyguyid

here are a few pics. My 350x started having electrical issues, you ride it for an hour and it just quits and you let it set for 15 minutes then it will run for awhile then dies again. I took it in to have my friend check it out. The 250r runs great, took it to the dunes last weekend and had a good time with it. I have fun going to the dunes, its like going riding, going to the drag races and going to a car show all in one. So much high dollar stuff there now, its crazy. My wife is giving me crap about how dangerous they are, this after she about cut the end of her finger off with her rotary cutter while cutting out quilt blocks, 200 bucks later she was good to go..... My 17 yr old son was skeptical about riding them but after getting in a few hrs riding time on the 350, he likes it alot better than the 4 wheelers. Sounds like you have lots of work ahead of you, keep at it!
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #22
RIDE-RED 350r

Well, don't let anybody dissuade you from your trikes because "they are dangerous"..... You just have to know a thing or two about riding! They do separate the men from the boys though....

Sounds like your 350x might have a stopped up fuel cap vent. (unless of course you already checked that)...

And judging by the seat, headlight and engine color, your R is an '85 model. (the better of the 2 IMHO, both of mine are '85 )

Also, your R looks to still have undamaged OEM plastics...Take good care of them!! OEM plastics are hard to come by and worth good money! I would be a smart idea to get a complete set of Maier plastics for riding just in case you take a spill....

Beautiful pair Sir!

Ever venture over to 3wheelerworld.com?? Good place to hang out to feed your newly developed addiction.

Several of us who are members there got together for a ride this past weekend....
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #23
84chevyguyid

You are right on the year, when I went in to pick it up, it turned out to be an 85 instead of an 86. Its funny how many people tell me to be careful on them, even the BLM guy at the dunes said that, lol. I am not young and crazy anymore, just like to ride and have fun. My nephew that usually goes with me to the dunes gets bored with me after a while. He built an 06? honda crf 250 conversion with his old cr 500 motor in it and its a screamer. He likes to race people up the biggest hills whereas I just cruise around and mess around in the smaller bowls, ect. The problem is definately electrical and its getting worse, wont go as long between anymore. I am thinking its a coil under the flywheel, may have to send the stator away and get it rewound. Those are some pretty cool pics! too bad you guys are so far away, would be fun to go riding with you all. There is a guy I met a month ago over at the dunes that has a 250r with a big bore kit and a 7 inch extended swing arm that he takes to the dunes. Havent seen it yet but it sounds bad! I been on 3 wheeler world some, user name is the same as on here. Nice site, makes me want a 600x and a cr500r conversion, like I said, you guys are a bad influence on me, lol

Last edited by 84chevyguyid; 08-05-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #24
RIDE-RED 350r

Sorry about the bad influence...well...not really.. LOL!

The big bore R's are a handful, but oh so much fun! Mine is an ESR 350 ported for mid-top with a race fuel dome and all the usual supporting mods. Makes the 250 with bolt-ons seem slow.

Yeah, sounds like you are on the right track with your 350x....

I go by RIDE-RED 250r on 3ww...Look me up sometime.