The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #1
HUSTLESTUFF

Re: 700R4 build thread.

I just finished this incredible tech post. I have one question. I just picked up a 700 R4 core and will be rebuilding it. I have done Chrysler transmissions but no GM. I am installing it behind a GM crate engine in a 72 C20 that will do light towing on flat ground. Can I just get a kit and install it as is or do I need all of the parts you suggest. I like your idea on the amazon kit plus the seal kit along with the Transgo SK 700 and 700-P and filter. As long as everything else checks out can I get by with this? Thanks in advance, Mike
HUSTLESTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:28 PM   #2
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSTLESTUFF View Post
I just finished this incredible tech post. I have one question. I just picked up a 700 R4 core and will be rebuilding it. I have done Chrysler transmissions but no GM. I am installing it behind a GM crate engine in a 72 C20 that will do light towing on flat ground. Can I just get a kit and install it as is or do I need all of the parts you suggest. I like your idea on the amazon kit plus the seal kit along with the Transgo SK 700 and 700-P and filter. As long as everything else checks out can I get by with this? Thanks in advance, Mike
You will at least need a new stock Sun Shell, Amazon.com: ACDelco 24228345 GM Original... Amazon.com: ACDelco 24228345 GM Original...
Just got done Beta testing the new Alto Hi-Energy Graphite (HEG) Frictions with great success! I have been meaning to update this thread regarding this but forgot.

There is an outfit on Ebay selling complete (I Mean Complete!) rebuild kits with all HEG frictions, Includes a 3-4 "Powerpak" (Able to run 9 3-4's), All bushings, Thrust washers, Red Eagle band, Filter, Seals, & Steels for $173 shipped! http://www.ebay.com/itm/TH700R4-Rebu...3D360673914328

I have bought over 20 of this exact kit from them, 100% happy with the kit. Running a 4L60E version in my Camaro.

Last edited by clinebarger; 08-07-2015 at 09:10 PM.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
You will need at least need a new stock Sun Shell, Amazon.com: ACDelco 24228345 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Reaction Sun Gear Shell: Automotive

Just got done Beta testing the new Alto Hi-Energy Graphite (HEG) Frictions with great success! I have been meaning to update this thread regarding this but forgot.

There is an outfit on Ebay selling complete (I Mean Complete!) rebuild kits with all HEG frictions, Includes a 3-4 "Powerpak" (Able to run 9 3-4's), All bushings, Thrust washers, Red Eagle band, Filter, Seals, & Steels for $173 shipped! http://www.ebay.com/itm/TH700R4-Rebu...3D360673914328

I have bought over 20 of this exact kit from them, 100% happy with the kit. Running a 4L60E version in my Camaro.
Its about time. I never understood selling something as a "KIT" that wasn't near completed and still needed 2 or 3 other "kits" to complete the first one. Its a huge hole in the transmission parts market that someone should fill for every unit.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:42 PM   #4
HUSTLESTUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
You will at least need a new stock Sun Shell, Amazon.com: ACDelco 24228345 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Reaction Sun Gear Shell: Automotive

Thanks for the advise. I ordered the kit along with the sunshell. I also added molded pistons and the transgo 700 JR. I think that should be enough for now. Any more and the $ benefits to me of the overdrive would start to go out the window beyond this. I will start the rebuild this weekend and make a new post. I still have to figure out all the other things needed like TV cable and what not. Also have question on driveshaft since I need a new carrier bearing and whether or not I should do one piece since I'm staying stock heighth c20. Will build a stand and tools as pictured. Thanks so far and I'm sure I'll have some questions but this tech article is amazing!!! Mike
HUSTLESTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote