The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #26
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Can't lock door unless I push in

I had the same "problem" with my truck for years. Doors aligned dang near perfect, strikers good... but always had to push a little on DS and PS to get door to lock with key (but would be fine if you pushed latch down from inside).

A few months ago I shut the door and heard parts burst all over the place...

So I bought a new DS and PS latch.

I did nothing other than install the new latch and slightly adjust the striker to match it. Haven't had to push on the door since, it goes right down with an easy turn of the key. I still have to do the PS, but I'm expecting the same result.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:06 PM   #27
jeffahart

I had this problem too. And my weather stripping is so bad it's like swiss cheese. I adjusted doors strikers you name it, still had to push door lock it.

I replaced the door locks and ignition so all have matched keys. When I did this I sprayed the crap out of every moving part inside the door with WD40. Now my doors close too good. Seriously, they now close too easy! I can set my doors so they're on the latch and push them closed them with my pinky finger. After all that hair pulling and door and striker adjustments... and what not. Go figure!
Old 08-11-2015, 10:46 PM   #28
clemsonteg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Thanks for the resolution. Too many people don't follow through with that after they get something figured out......

LockDoc
I know! I usually do a ton of searching before I post with a question and I always find others with problems, but no solutions.
clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:39 PM   #29
iriereggaeman

So, I've been reading various posts on doors that won't lock without a good push. Mine is the same. I have removed the door panels and lube'd the heck out of the moving parts. I have also tried moving around the striker plate. Seems like folks have had good luck replacing the latch (at $80 a piece). I have already purchased a few things that I didn't end up needing, so I thought I'd post a video of my stubborn door. Perhaps one of you gurus can spot something obvious that I didn't before shelling out the money.

https://youtu.be/IVrkj_TSgfc
iriereggaeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:33 AM   #30
iriereggaeman

After quite a bit of time fiddling around with possible solutions, I decided to spring for the new latche(s). Smokinhart , clemsonteg , or anyone - if I have the latch/lock rods, and other parts already, can I just purchase the DOOR LATCH by itself? In other words, do the OEM parts fit the LMC latch?

Here's what I'm looking at:
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=20 , PART 38-6484 "DOOR LATCH LH" (assuming this is the driver door

Thanks in advance for any knowledge in this area!
Old 02-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #31
iriereggaeman

update: I ordered the latch itself:
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=20 , PART 38-6484 "DOOR LATCH LH"
and installed it yesterday. It fit nicely with the existing linkages. It took a bit of doing, and I learned along the way. For instance, I found it best to also remove the door latch control and door lock knob completely. I also noted that the new latch didn't seem to sit quite as straight as the old latch in the door (see pics of new driver side door latch vs. old passenger side door latch)

Even with this noted oddity, the new latch solved my difficult-to-lock-without-pushing-in problem.

Now I just need to locate some longer door lock knobs, or something with a bit more real-estate to grab with my chubby, big fingers. Any pointers there would be appreciated.

Name:  IMG_3633.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  44.0 KB
Name:  IMG_3634.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  40.5 KB