The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #1
burnitg

Re: Project Screamer - '72 GMC K2500 + DD 4-53T

It’s a runner!

I finally got the engine running. Unfortunately, it won’t start without ether. I think that the rings got stuck while it’s been sitting in my shop.

It runs well, has good oil pressure and makes glorious noise. I think that the new injectors made the difference. It was running poorly before I pulled it (but starting easily). One step forward and two steps back...

The new starter works very well. It spins the engine over rapidly. Of course it has low compression now - I’ll see how well it does when the compression is back to normal. I think that it will be fine.
burnitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
mattfranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitg View Post
It’s a runner!

I finally got the engine running...
When I read this I got flashbacks. Good ones. I love the sound. We had a 4-53 in lab at school. It was a rush every time we ran it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #3
burnitg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfranklin View Post
When I read this I got flashbacks. Good ones. I love the sound. We had a 4-53 in lab at school. It was a rush every time we ran it.
I love the sound too. It’s the reason for this project.

It’s a small world. We lived in Lafayette for 25 years.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #4
burnitg

Surprise!

The body parts are blasted and at the paint shop. There are a few rust holes here and there and some questionable repairs.

Here's the left footwell as an example.

Name:  Left Footwell.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  25.1 KB

There are no structural issues and the rust is pretty minor. He will make the repairs and proceed with painting.

I'm pleased. I expected the problems to be worse.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
lower50's

Thats good there are no real rust problems.
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #6
burnitg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lower50's View Post
Thats good there are no real rust problems.
I was pleasantly surprised. Based on some of the other bodywork I found on the truck, I expected at least one spot to be totally rusted through and covered with Bondo.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:45 PM   #7
kipps

This reply is mostly so I can get email updates on this thread.

I'm really intrigued with this build. I've dreamed of similar.

My dream vehicle would be a round-eye squarebody with a single cab, long bed, dually(optional) with mud tires(or at least the look thereof). The engine would be a silver 453-t detroit. Air starter, sm465, advance adapters overdrive transmission, np205 with a twin stick conversion, driveshaft parking brake, air compressor mounted on one of the tranny pto's, hydraulic pump for the dump bed mounted on the other pto. In case you lost count, that's a forest of seven sticks bristling from the floor.

The starter would be actuated by a foot pedal mounted under the edge of the seat, and would be a pilot air valve which would switch the main air valve near the starter. No electric would be needed for starting. Some form of a generator/alternator would be used that would not require a battery. When the engine starts, the electric system comes on. When the engine dies, all electric power dies with it. The dash would be simplified with round surface mount gauges, and surface mount glass fuses directly on the dash. The speedometer would top out at 60.

It'd be interesting to try a rag-top conversion on the truck, and skip the side windows altogether. The cabin heater and defrost would be using an exhaust heat exchanger. The whole truck would be shot in military drab, and all pertinent service data is stenciled on the fenders, dash, and underhood in white.

Basically, what's the most macho truck I could build without looking like it has a lot of added on bits of trash? The overall theme would be a squarebody version of a military deuce-and-a-half truck. Problem is, the only practical value to this truck would be for hot-shotting, and even then, it would not be very pleasant driving for multiple days at a time. It would mostly be a piece of art, and an expensive one at that. Oh well, dreaming is cheap....
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote