The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2020, 09:43 AM   #11
RyanAK

Re: "Bourbon" 1975 Suburban Scottsdale

Oh man. Sorry to hear, pal. I just did a compressor and accumulator on my ‘78. Was quoted a similar dollar amount. Decided to wrench on it on my own and have a friend draw the vacuum and charge it. The accumulator is cheap enough. The only ones I could find at the time need a second part to make the bend in the tube to mate up with the a/c lines. Summit has the tube. But I think LMC has stock 1-piece accumulators. Like $30. Literally two fittings and two screws to swap. 30 mins top.

A quick look shows a stock-style condenser for rear air trucks for $100-$250. A bit of a PITA to swap, but not too bad. Depending on your engine swap, both of these things can stay.

Orifice tube and other misc parts, add $50. Then get it drawn down and charged. Done.

My Burb has front air only and I’m surprised how well it does in the 90*+ humid heat here in Pennsylvania. The chainsaw essentially rebuilt and added rear air in his rig. In your situation I’d swap the condenser and accumulator. As said... you have a wife and kids!

(Local billboard here: “Your wife is HOT! Fix your A/C!”)

Meet 'Earl', '71 C10 Suburban - Sold, but not forgotten...

Meet... yet to be named, ‘78 K10 Suburban Daily Driver
RyanAK is offline   Reply With Quote