The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2021, 10:30 PM   #1
Ironhorse

Re: 1950 Hudson Pacemaker

Would be somewhat unique to see a build now days retaining the IL6 and 3OTT setup. Been a long time since I've driven a 3OTT. I like the idea of keeping the original driveline, it's different and rarely seen at a car show in today's world.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:11 PM   #2
KFF 1

Here is the head. The MMO that I poured into each cylinder made the carbon bubble up like paint but it wiped right off the piston. I havent cleaned up the chambers in the head as of yet
Attached Images

KFF 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:18 PM   #3
KFF 1

I have been kicking around the idea of doing some lace paint on the car when i get to that point and was practicing on an old piece of body panel i had laying around. Color combo at this point im leaning towards a 2 tone black with the lace in metallic green
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2021, 09:57 PM   #4
KFF 1

Today I removed the intake/exhaust manifolds, and the valve covers. The inside of the motor where the valve train is located is surprisingly clean. I removed the timing chain ( which is shot ) and the camshaft, lifters, and valves turn freely. The rotating assembly will turn 90 degrees in both directions before coming to a stop ( turning it at the flywheel with a screwdriver ) So for now I have come to the conclusion that it is possible the clutch is stuck to the flywheel and Im trying to turn both the crank and input shaft of the trans. Driveshaft is off and the trans is in neutral. After I get the motor and trans out of the car and split the unit I will investigate the problem further
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2021, 05:52 PM   #5
KFF 1

Over the weekend I pulled the flathead and trans out of the Hudson. Once out of the car and on the floor I was able to get the bottom end of the motor to turn over 360 so motor wise I feel I am in good shape so far. Disassembled the front suspension as well to clean the components and frame to get ready to paint. Lowering the front 2 inches and converting from drums to disc over the winter as well as doing the wiring to get it out of the way first.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2021, 07:41 PM   #6
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFF 1 View Post
Over the weekend I pulled the flathead and trans out of the Hudson. Once out of the car and on the floor I was able to get the bottom end of the motor to turn over 360 so motor wise I feel I am in good shape so far. Disassembled the front suspension as well to clean the components and frame to get ready to paint. Lowering the front 2 inches and converting from drums to disc over the winter as well as doing the wiring to get it out of the way first.
That's cool, any valves stuck?

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:02 PM   #7
KFF 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
That's cool, any valves stuck?
No sir. After removing the timing chain I turned the cam with a 3/8 ratchet and all of the valves opened and closed