The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2023, 01:41 AM   #26
Ryanz

Re: Sending Unit has me stumped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
Could you upload a photo of the entire front of your multimeter getting the 125 reading?
Here you go - doing this from my phone so hoping it works. Tried changing resistor but didn’t change anything but I’m needing to see a pic of the back of someone else’s cluster to ensure I am installing it correctly.
Attached Images

Ryanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 01:54 AM   #27
pjmoreland

Your multimeter is reading 5V according to the 0-10 scale, which is what I'd expect to see if everything is working correctly.

The notches on the sides of the resistor can point either way. The C shaped contact patches need to face away from the gauge so that the nuts make contact with them. There are some photos in this thread.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=640615
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 02:12 AM   #28
Ryanz

Quote:
Your multimeter is reading 5V according to the 0-10 scale, which is what I'd expect to see if everything is working correctly.

The notches on the sides of the resistor can point either way. The C shaped contact patches need to face away from the gauge so that the nuts make contact with them. There are some photos in this thread.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=640615
Alright - well back to the drawing board. It still has to be a ground causing the issue somewhere doesn’t it? Dang this has been a source of frustration. I sure appreciate ALL of your help.
Old 08-01-2023, 02:21 AM   #29
pjmoreland

A ground issue at the tank, a faulty connection between the sender and the gauge, or an excessively high resistance in your sender would explain it. I see no indication of any of those things.
Old 08-01-2023, 02:23 AM   #30
pjmoreland

Could it be something as simple as you're not getting a good connection between the tan wire and your sender?
Old 08-01-2023, 02:30 AM   #31
Ryanz

Quote:
Could it be something as simple as you're not getting a good connection between the tan wire and your sender?
No that all seems to be okay. It connects strongly. And, as I said - it works outside the tank when I manually move the float and ground it to the cab. It’s like it won’t ground properly with the lock ring to tank. But then why wouldn’t a manual ground make it work when it’s in the tank. That’s the part that is baffling.
Old 08-01-2023, 03:22 AM   #32
pjmoreland

I don't think the 5V voltage reading indicates a problem with your gauge. It sure seems like there is a lack of ground connection at your sender base.

Maybe try running a wire from the negative terminal of your battery to the sender base.
Old 08-02-2023, 10:44 PM   #33
Ryanz

Quote:
I don't think the 5V voltage reading indicates a problem with your gauge. It sure seems like there is a lack of ground connection at your sender base.

Maybe try running a wire from the negative terminal of your battery to the sender base.
Alright - update. I have figured out that I have it working inside, and outside the tank - but the reading on the gauge reads way over full (3 O'clock) with the float in full position. The ohms read 0-90 from empty to full, but the gauge goes from empty to way over full. Would that indicate I have a resistor issue on the back of gauge?

The reason I thought I was having a ground issue before is once I put it down deep in the tank it reads over full. But now I'm realizing as I'm lowering it in it moves from empty to full as it should (with ground wire attached to bolt on cab) but once I get it past a certain point my float goes high enough where the gauge reads well over full.

This is testing with new and old sending unit. Any thoughts before I put it all back together?

Thanks in advance - Ryan
Old 08-02-2023, 11:48 PM   #34
dmjlambert

My thought is it wouldn't bother me. If it does the job of letting me know it has enough gas, or it's running out, that is all I would need to know. It may read better than a brand new Chinese gauge. I bought my latest instrument cluster from here in the parts section of the forum, and put together 1 better cluster from 2 that weren't so good. I'd rather get used parts than new when given a choice, but that's me.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 12:42 AM   #35
Ryanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
My thought is it wouldn't bother me. If it does the job of letting me know it has enough gas, or it's running out, that is all I would need to know. It may read better than a brand new Chinese gauge. I bought my latest instrument cluster from here in the parts section of the forum, and put together 1 better cluster from 2 that weren't so good. I'd rather get used parts than new when given a choice, but that's me.
Ya, when I tested on my old cluster it only goes up to 1/4 - so I know that resistor isn’t any good. I was just curious if this resistor could be causing the opposite issue.
Old 08-03-2023, 01:51 PM   #36
pjmoreland

The resistor on the back of the gauge should measure at around 90 Ohms. This measurement must be taken with the resistor removed from the gauge. If the resistor is significantly lower than 90 Ohms, then this will cause the gauge to read higher than usual.

If you have a reproduction gauge that has the resistor built into it and is intended to be used without an external resistor, then adding an external resistor will result in lower resistance and therefore higher gauge position (two resistors of the same value connected in parallel results in half the resistance).

Last edited by pjmoreland; 08-03-2023 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2023, 02:23 PM   #37
pjmoreland

Take a look at the comment in this video at 2:36 about how the reproduction gauge doesn't use an external resistor.

https://youtu.be/Bq3YfCLq4So?t=156
Old 08-04-2023, 05:42 PM   #38
Ryanz

Quote:
Take a look at the comment in this video at 2:36 about how the reproduction gauge doesn't use an external resistor.

https://youtu.be/Bq3YfCLq4So?t=156
My new cluster worked for a year before the gauge acted up. So it shouldn’t be that it was because it came with a resistor.
Old 08-04-2023, 05:47 PM   #39
Ryanz

Quote:
The resistor on the back of the gauge should measure at around 90 Ohms. This measurement must be taken with the resistor removed from the gauge. If the resistor is significantly lower than 90 Ohms, then this will cause the gauge to read higher than usual.

If you have a reproduction gauge that has the resistor built into it and is intended to be used without an external resistor, then adding an external resistor will result in lower resistance and therefore higher gauge position (two resistors of the same value connected in parallel results in half the resistance).
No, it’s an all new cluster that worked fine for a year until the fuel gauge started acting up. But get this - I tested both resistors (the one in my new cluster and the one in my old cluster. Both measure 90 ohms. But when I put the old cluster in and hook it up the gauge won’t go past a 1/4, and when I put the new cluster in it goes way above full. The only think I’m realizing is I’m doing this without hooking the little ground clamp that comes off the cluster. Just plugging the cluster in and trying the key without installing them.
Old 08-04-2023, 06:49 PM   #40
pjmoreland

If the ground clamp isn't grounded, then the winding in the gauge that pushes the gauge toward FULL will not work.
Old 08-05-2023, 02:16 PM   #41
Ryanz

Quote:
If the ground clamp isn't grounded, then the winding in the gauge that pushes the gauge toward FULL will not work.
Sorry, that was a stupid post. I was thinking that clamp was connected to each cluster but of course it’s not. Was having a Manitoba moment. It’s not been unhooked. So I’m still confused. Damn.