The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2021, 12:39 AM   #1
RustyPile

Who makes a decent seat belt that fits our old trucks??

For several years I've been buying a lot of parts for my trucks from a certain very large mail order business.. Until recently, quality has not been a problem.. They also have excellent customer service and are close enough to me that I receive most orders the next day..

Last week I contacted them to order a set of seat belts for my '71 C/10.. The specified belts had to be special ordered but they had a set in stock for a passenger car that closely matched the '71 belts.. I ordered them with the understanding that if they didn't fit I could return them.. I received them the next day... As it turned out, the belts wouldn't fit because of the way the retractor mechanism mounted.. I set up the return and ordered the specified set. It took a week to get them..

They arrived today and when I unpacked them, they appeared to be the same belts as the passenger car belts, but with different mounting hardware.. Here's the kicker.. The retractor and it's mounting bracket is too large to fit between the seat and door.. Plus the bolts were all METRIC.. I tried using SAE sized bolts but one size was too small and didn't fill the holes properly. The next size up wouldn't fit through the holes.. I'd no more enlarge a mounting hole in a seat belt than I would enlarge one on a brake caliper.. These are safety items and designed to be used "unmodified"..

I've looked at Dorman and other "universal" belts from some other suppliers and they are cheap looking and the mount is funky.. My question is: Who makes a decent belt that fits our trucks and looks good doing it??

RustyPile