The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2013, 03:59 AM   #1551
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Re: Kabwe's aka Bam's build

Hey Bam: I remember you posting the incident on the SoCal post, but I dont recall you posting it here on your post. Maybe thats why most had not seen it. Anyway after the honey doo's are done, I will drop my truck off for you to finish up the welding for me. LOL

Now that should light a fire.
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #1552
ratty 46

WOW ... read the other thread ... WOW. Life is way to short. Your above ground & have to B happy about that. That'll age you a bit. Someone was watching over you that day.

Now let's get back to the truck building ...
ratty 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #1553
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Hey Bam: I remember you posting the incident on the SoCal post, but I dont recall you posting it here on your post. Maybe thats why most had not seen it. Anyway after the honey doo's are done, I will drop my truck off for you to finish up the welding for me. LOL

Now that should light a fire.
Hey, HEY!!! I've got first dibs. I've wanted him to do stuff on my truck but he's been busy a long time...and that was before he had to deal with a friggin lunatic at work...no, not the ordinary lunatics we all deal with at work, a REAL lunatic! It'd be funny if it weren't tragic.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #1554
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Hey, HEY!!! I've got first dibs. I've wanted him to do stuff on my truck but he's been busy a long time...and that was before he had to deal with a friggin lunatic at work...no, not the ordinary lunatics we all deal with at work, a REAL lunatic! It'd be funny if it weren't tragic.

Ok Dan, your right, you do have first dibs,.......right after me. LOL
But then again, I have a 67-72 series truck, so Bam might push me to the end of the line. Guess you are first.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #1555
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Ok Dan, your right, you do have first dibs,.......right after me. LOL
But then again, I have a 67-72 series truck, so Bam might push me to the end of the line. Guess you are first.
I figured someone else probably had first dibs but in keeping with the, "...squeeky wheel get the grease" theory, I thought I could just ride roughshod over whoever!

Nah, I know Bam is busy and I'm NOT certain I will go to IFS. The longer it takes to decide the more that drawer full of CPP parts I already have is calling me to pick up a wrench and start installing it.

There's such a thing as a "barn raising party", I wonder if we could organize a "drop axle, Super Slider, disc brake party"?

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #1556
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty 46 View Post
WOW ... read the other thread ... WOW. Life is way to short. Your above ground & have to B happy about that. That'll age you a bit. Someone was watching over you that day.

Now let's get back to the truck building ...
Yeah I hope they keep watching over me because who ever that was done a great job.lol

To Dan and Vog my truck has first dibs.lol

Dan if you want IFS I know you were offered help and did not take it or you are just scared to take the plunge. Yeah that's right I've checked up on you and know a thing about a thing or two. That person also stated you are one cool guy.

Vdog just shut up and we can remain buddies.lol
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #1557
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

What the hell! I been away for a while and decided to login and this is what I see. I'm really happy that you're OK, I saw that incident on the news but didn't remember that's where you work.

Anyway good to see you alright!

Tri5
Old 08-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #1558
Kim57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri5Nerd View Post
What the hell! I been away for a while and decided to login and this is what I see. I'm really happy that you're OK, I saw that incident on the news but didn't remember that's where you work.

Tri5
Nice to see you're still out there Tri5.
Hows the truck coming?
Kim
Old 08-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #1559
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri5Nerd View Post

Tri5
I'm glad to be alright and its really good to hear from you buddy.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:41 AM   #1560
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Vdog just shut up and we can remain buddies.lol

Waddd I say? Waddd I say?
Old 08-04-2013, 04:11 PM   #1561
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Quote:
I'm glad to be alright and its really good to hear from you buddy.
I'm doing good, just haven't done anything with the truck lately.

Tri5
Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #1562
CURSED GEARS

I know I'm late, just read your other thread. I'm glad your alright. Be with your family, but don't forget, your truck misses you too!
CURSED GEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #1563
Roadkill58

Working on your truck is therapy.....just sayin.

Roadkill's 69 Custom C20
Roadkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #1564
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

Quote:
Oh that fender is no where near finished but I got it in high build primer so I'm happy. The steps I did was metal finished the best I could (hammer and dolly work) so that it would not lot of filler, then I epoxy primed it, then filler over epoxy, blocked the filler, then epoxy again (because while blocking the filler you will hit bare metal in some spots), and then I use high fill primer, which needs to be blocked. That's where this fender is this point.

What goes on after? It depends on how straight the fender is after my next blocking session.lol Most likely another coat of high fill and block that out. My last blocking session will be with 600 grit before I can shoot color.

It has and I'm sorry for that, but its hard to take pics of block sanding. The fender is no where near ready but I figure any pic is better than no pics.
Plus I consider a lot of these guys my internet buddies so we play around alot.
BAM - I hope things have been going well with you and the family. I was reading through your thread again and I had a few questions. This one was a discussion you were having with Dan about priming and blocking your fenders. The questions I had is after the Epoxy prime, what grit increments of sand paper do you use to end with the final 600 grit. I know that may seem to be a stupid question but I have never done this much body work so it is all new territory for me. I need it step by step where some one else may understand what is implied. No hurry on the answer, just when you can. Thanks.

Only two defining forces have ever died for us: CHRIST died for our salvation and VETERANS died for our freedoms. Glorify CHRIST and thank VETERANs
Dru~ USN Retired
57picupnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #1565
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57picupnewbie View Post
BAM - I hope things have been going well with you and the family. I was reading through your thread again and I had a few questions. This one was a discussion you were having with Dan about priming and blocking your fenders. The questions I had is after the Epoxy prime, what grit increments of sand paper do you use to end with the final 600 grit. I know that may seem to be a stupid question but I have never done this much body work so it is all new territory for me. I need it step by step where some one else may understand what is implied. No hurry on the answer, just when you can. Thanks.
There are many ways to do this and others may differ but this is what I do. I rough sand bare metal with 80 grit and shoot epoxy. If there is filler needed I use filler over epoxy (7 day window to applied filler over epoxy) I then block sand filler level with 80 grit. I shoot epoxy again over any bare spots due to sanding. I then shoot my 2k primer (surfacers, slicksand or high fill primer) I apply a guide coat and block sand with 220. Apply more 2k primer, guide coat and block with 400. Also the epoxy I use can be used as a sealer if you thin it. I use a sealer so that when I do color I'm shooting over a uniformed canvas and I also like having epoxy over my filler (high fill primer is a filler in my opinion). Some people do not shoot a sealer that is up to you. If its a solid color non metallic color you can stop at 400. If its a metallic or lighter color such as silver block to 600. I hope this helps.

This was blocked to 400. No sanding marks show and its pretty slick and wet looking in person. That said I will be block sanding to 600 when final paint because it is a fairly light metallic paint. But it does cover well, just going to extra mile because I'm nutty.

Last edited by Kabwe; 09-24-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #1566
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
just going to extra mile because I'm nutty.

Now see I was trying to follow your steps with all the sanding, blocking, filling, sanding blocking, 2K ing, etc etc. Then I said wow its a lot of steps to bodywork, then you type the line about you being NUTTY!

Enough said.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #1567
Rods57

Hey Bam, nice new doggy pic.....are you still playing attach dummy for fun?
Rods57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #1568
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rods57 View Post
Hey Bam, nice new doggy pic.....are you still playing attach dummy for fun?
Yeah thats my new homeboy. I've had him for about a year now, I picked him up from the shelter he was on the list to be killed. He had a week left. He was only a year old and sweet as can be. Pitbull = kill in shelters no matter how sweet they are. His best friend is my daughters little poodle mix.

Big Baby

Anyway no I have not decoyed in quite a while and I need to work out some aggression so I think I will put on the suit and go over my buddy's house and play with his dog.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 10-03-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #1569
Rods57

cool, the problem is the owners not the breed. My wife just got a mini Aussie, she loves the agility stuff so now she has the little speed demon, and the ding head.

Roscoe P coltrain and Levi.

Name:  IMAG0102.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  91.7 KB

Name:  IMAG0158.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  51.7 KB
Rods57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:07 AM   #1570
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

Quote:
There are many ways to do this and others may differ but this is what I do. I rough sand bare metal with 80 grit and shoot epoxy. If there is filler needed I use filler over epoxy (7 day window to applied filler over epoxy) I then block sand filler level with 80 grit. I shoot epoxy again over any bare spots due to sanding. I then shoot my 2k primer (surfacers, slicksand or high fill primer) I apply a guide coat and block sand with 220. Apply more 2k primer, guide coat and block with 400. Also the epoxy I use can be used as a sealer if you thin it. I use a sealer so that when I do color I'm shooting over a uniformed canvas and I also like having epoxy over my filler (high fill primer is a filler in my opinion). Some people do not shoot a sealer that is up to you. If its a solid color non metallic color you can stop at 400. If its a metallic or lighter color such as silver block to 600. I hope this helps.

This was blocked to 400. No sanding marks show and its pretty slick and wet looking in person. That said I will be block sanding to 600 when final paint because it is a fairly light metallic paint. But it does cover well, just going to extra mile because I'm nutty.

Bam, that is exactly what I needed. Thanks for the input.

Only two defining forces have ever died for us: CHRIST died for our salvation and VETERANS died for our freedoms. Glorify CHRIST and thank VETERANs
Dru~ USN Retired
57picupnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #1571
Rude Dude

Man and his best friend gotta love it! Great pic
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #1572
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Well I still working on the bathroom but its getting there. I gutted the complete shower and hug up all new backerboard and tile. The original shower had tile with a 1 1/2 inch thick cement bed on all 4 walls, floor, and curb, the bathroom floor was the same. That was the hard work. Well some have been asking me about it so heres some pics. I still have a lot of work to do.

Last edited by Kabwe; 01-04-2014 at 04:07 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #1573
oldman3

Bam, nice update. Love the bathroom, bumper work is almost the same as mine, but I used large washers on the back side to help spread the load...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #1574
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Bam, nice to see going at it again. Or should I say picking that project of many. I know the feeling man. Hopefully we can meet up again soon to throw more ideas at each other lol

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #1575
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Thanks guys. I have not touched the truck in long, that it really feels great to do something no matter how small.

Fabguy hanging out is only a phone call away buddy.