The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
Cgoldhill

Very mild 350 camshaft XE vs Voodoo

Gen 1 350 sbc, stock 882 heads, stock exhaust manifolds (for now, will be changing to full length headers by the end of the year), No cats with a 2 inch free flow dual exhaust (will be changing to 2.5 inch mandrel bent with an H pipe when I do the headers), Performer 2101 intake manifold, HEI ignition, stock compression (7.5-8:1 depending on what Ive read). Valvetrain looks immaculate so I'm pretty the heads have been gone over recently. Warmed up Quadrajet with idle tubes drilled out a bit (its the stock carb for a truck so I believe its the larger 750 cfm version). 3:08 posi rear with a 4 speed saginaw on the floor. Motor will never ever see over 5,000 rpm, and that will only happen on occasion. I spend most of time between 1500 and 3000.

Motor is in a 72 C10, 2wd long bed, so about 4000 pounds and some change.

I need to do an oil pan, and all the big gaskets so I'm gonna pop a cam in there while I'm at it. Obviously replacing all the lifters, pushrods, and throwing in a double true roller timing set.

Looking at the Comp Cams XE250H, XE256H, or the Voodoo 60100. The 60101has alittle too much lift than I'd like and dont want to worry about floating the stock valve springs.

Using comps camquest the XE256H looks like the better choice of the two XE grinds making 290 hp and a hair under 400ftlbs. The XE250H trades about 15 hp up top for only 7-8 ftlbs down low. At nearly 400 ftlbs, i dont think id feel the loss of low end torque but could definetly benefit from an extra 15 hp up top. The 60100 spec wise seems to fall right in the middle of these two cams but its on a 112 LSA, leading me to believe it wont be as punchy as I'd like. I also like the XE grinds 110 LSA for a slightly meaner sounding idle without losing drivability. I also think the 350 would benefit more from 110 LSA to help the heavy truck get up and going.

While doing my research, i see alot of people say the voodoo's make more power but I cant find a single side to side comparison. From what i can tell, it just seems like theres some trade off's here there between the two grind series.

What I'm looking for is anyone who has experience with any of these cams in their truck and what the real world performance is with builds as close to mine as possible. I'd also like to hear from anyone who has experience with both cam lines and if they have a preference of one over the other.

I see lots of people bash comp cams quality and attribute to cam lobe failure but honestly think is due to improper cam break in.

Any info is appreciated along with anyone who can tell me downsides of these cams. I await your vast amounts of knowledge and experience, you crazy truck heads!
Cgoldhill is offline   Reply With Quote