The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #526
Ackattack

Re: Ackattack's Pro touring restoration thread

been plugging away on stuff very slowly.

The kick panel speaker enclosures are just about done. I need to go back with a little resin, cause I sanded through one of the layers, and then fill in a few "holes" in the bondo. For now they're gonna be painted until I figure out what I'm doing with the seats. I still don't have my radio, so no to on tunes for now any way.

I've also been working on the Old Air A/C setup. I got the controls mounted last night, the under the dash unit is mounted up, I have a couple of lines run through the radiator core support to the condensor. I'll do some wiring tonight, and will hopefully have heat by this weekend.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #527
Normy71

What the problem with the seats?
Hope they work, I picked up a set for my own 71
looks good!!

Check Out my 71 build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=375158
Normy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #528
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normy71 View Post
What the problem with the seats?
Hope they work, I picked up a set for my own 71
looks good!!
Oh, nothings wrong with them, they're just grey and the interior is going to be brown, so they'll get recovered eventually.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #529
Hard Luck
I've got grease on my mind.

Great to see the truck "Live" for the first time and meet the Fam. Looks great, sounds great, love the color. I don't think I would have done anything differently. You have reason to be proud!

I like that you chose to tackle the modern running rear update. Any word on the mileage after the 200 mile trip?
Hard Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #530
CG
BlahBlahBlah

CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #531
Ackattack

I ordered some stereo equipment awhile ago. Some component Pioneer speakers and retrosound classic radio (not the model one....figured I didn't need the usb input)

I got the speakers shortly and started making the kick panel speaker pods using fiberglass and MDF. For the drivers side, I wanted to be able to use the brake pedal (72 cab...remember) as well as the dimmer switch. What to do????

Well with my fiberglass cowl, it really doesn't let it much air through the kickpanel vents, and since I'll have A/C there isn't much need for them anyways, so I made the kickpanel speakers so the magnet of the speaker extends into that area.

Here's what I ended up with:

I also went to the Monroe Swap meet last weekend (met several board members and had a good time)

While there I picked up a few items

Set of arm rests.

A set of defroster ducts (must have lost mine)

an owners manual and sales brochure

And then a sub and amp

The sub is a 10" shallow mount, Pioneer TS-SW251

I tried to find a set of 69 metal door panels. These are what I have in my 69 3/4 ton "No buck" and they look nice. I like the horizontal stripes rather than the vertical ones. I didn't have any luck finding them.

What to do?? Steal them off of "No buck". The problem with that is they had a couple of dings in them. And they were a little old/crusty.

So I removed them, power washed them with my sand blasting attachment, hammered and dollied out the few dings (first time hammer and dollying actually accomplished what I wanted to ), scuffed them up with a scotch bright pad, sprayed a coat of primer, then paint. I painted the back black and the front the brown I've been using on the interior pieces.

I have to get some screws for permanent mounting. I'm also going to put some sound deadener on the back of the door panel....just cause I can

Last edited by Ackattack; 05-17-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #532
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Luck View Post
Great to see the truck "Live" for the first time and meet the Fam. Looks great, sounds great, love the color. I don't think I would have done anything differently. You have reason to be proud!

I like that you chose to tackle the modern running rear update. Any word on the mileage after the 200 mile trip?

Good to meet you too.

Haven't checked mileage yet.....might go fill up tonight.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #533
nickp51chevy
Registered Chevy Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
After seeing your truck at the meet it's hard to believe that this is what you started with. Your truck looks great.

It was great meeting you and your family. Hope to see you again next time.

1970 Chevy CST C10 long box 350/400
2008 Chevy Silverado short box 4x4

Had;
1951 Chevy short box 307/T5
1988 Chevy shot box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C20 long box 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 350/350
nickp51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #534
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickp51chevy View Post
After seeing your truck at the meet it's hard to believe that this is what you started with. Your truck looks great.

It was great meeting you and your family. Hope to see you again next time.

Thanks

More progress: I got the glass set in the track thing (can't remember what it's called). It was a pain, but got it done.

The stereo is also finished being installed for now. The drivers side kick panel is very tight up in there, but it fits. On the passenger side the kick panel fits, however I don't think it will fit once I run my AC/heat lines through the firewall, so I'll probably have to re-do that one, oh well.

I got the drivers side door panel installed. For the bottom bolts I used some stainless steel button head cap screws that look nice. I can't do the pass. side right now. of the 4 holes that secure the door panel, 2 of them have bolts broken off into them, and a third one is missing the threaded insert. No big deal, just not a straight forward installation.

I've had a bad rattle coming from the dash area, so I dropped the steering column and popped out the gauges to investigate. Nothing obvious. I think its one of the numerous wires under there tapping on the gauge cluster itself, so I think once I do some tie wrapping, it will be taken care of. While I had the steering column dropped down I got to looking and thinking. Right now it is very "cozy" wit the steering column and steering wheel (Grant wheel with like 4" dish) and Ethans car seat right next to me. It's like I can barely move. My steering column has two "notches" in it that could align with the "nub" and it was aligned with the forward most, pushing the steering wheel back. Well I'm going to push it forward. However, this isn't as easy as it sounds. The neutral safety switch is about 3/4" from the fire wall and the hole column needs to move about 2" (maybe 3" forward to get to the next notch. So I'm going to have to cut another notch in the steering column outer tube so that I can move the neutral safety switch up the column. It will be a big pain to remove it, but really, it will make driving much more pleasurable.

While I have the steering column out, I will also rebuild the turn signal cancel mechanism since it only works when turning one direction.

I also ordered some new door weatherstripping from GMCPaul's today. I got the push on kind that will hopefully seal better than what I have on there now (the glue on type from LMC with a poor glue job).

I also ordered a compressor block from a company called Docs Blocks to be able to use my LS1 A/C compressor with the standard size A/C lines.

Also ordered some new lower air bag cups so I can raise my minimum ride height so my tires aren't scrubbing the inner fenders at full dump. Probably only need 1/2" taller or so.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #535
red70
Account Suspended

what type of wheels are you running and where could I possibly find a set at?

Thanks
red70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #536
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by red70 View Post
what type of wheels are you running and where could I possibly find a set at?

Thanks

They're Raceline speedsters (20x10 and 20x8.5)

http://www.racelinewheels.com

I just looked at their website, and they're having a special on some nice looking 18" wheels for $290/each. I paid around $600/each
Old 05-24-2010, 03:00 AM   #537
Hard Luck

Quote:
Thanks
I also ordered some new door weatherstripping from GMCPaul's today. I got the push on kind that will hopefully seal better than what I have on there now (the glue on type from LMC with a poor glue job).
Are those the s10 seals or something else? Does it have the molded edge at the upper A-pillar?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #538
Ackattack

Quote:
Are those the s10 seals or something else? Does it have the molded edge at the upper A-pillar?
Rumor has it they're for a mid-80s dodge full size or a dakota....not sure
Old 06-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #539
rcrahn

Great build. The truck looks great!
Thanks for posting and you have shared some great info....
I have gone through most of the 22 pages.
Any updates?
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #540
Ackattack

It's been slow going lately. I've been tinkering with the A/C lines, but I need an elbow for one line at least, then get them crimped on.

I've been working on my 69 pickup lately. I swapped on a good condition cab last week.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:13 AM   #541
Ackattack

filled up the truck today, and I was a little disappointed with the 16.7 mpg I got.

I need to spend a little time with the tuning and get my wideband hooked up and I will do a litle better.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:45 AM   #542
Bad71chev406sbc

GORGEOUS truck and awesome build thread!!! But...curious what conversion headlights you used. Any close up's of them and any info would be very helpful. I read all but about 5-paint work. lol. Those would look just MEAN at dusk w/ just the running lights on.

Thanks!!

I hope someday I'll be able to see it in person! My buddy's '07 and his dad's '06 HD are the same color! I'm gonna show him this thread tomorrow.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #543
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
filled up the truck today, and I was a little disappointed with the 16.7 mpg I got.

I need to spend a little time with the tuning and get my wideband hooked up and I will do a litle better.
It could also just be getting used to the right pedal and taking it easy from a stop. My wife drives our Tahoe like it is a drag car half the time leaving stop lights and gets five MPG worse than I do just driving it normally. It sucks down the fuel getting it up to speed quickly.

With the lighter truck you should be in the 20 - 22 mpg freeway range once tuned properly. Glock35ipsc is getting 22 out of his 5.3 swap square body.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #544
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
It could also just be getting used to the right pedal and taking it easy from a stop. My wife drives our Tahoe like it is a drag car half the time leaving stop lights and gets five MPG worse than I do just driving it normally. It sucks down the fuel getting it up to speed quickly.

With the lighter truck you should be in the 20 - 22 mpg freeway range once tuned properly. Glock35ipsc is getting 22 out of his 5.3 swap square body.

Mine was mainly 60 mph freeway driving. My 5800 pound crew cab 4wd would get 21ish on the freeway (it had 32" tires and 3.42 gears).

I know my 4.10 gears will hurt a little, but I expected 20. We'll see.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #545
Hard Luck

Did you get the new door rubbers on yet? How did they fit?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #546
b&a72

How is the sound with the speakers up under the dash like that? I was thinking of doing the same thing.
b&a72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #547
Ackattack

Quote:
Did you get the new door rubbers on yet? How did they fit?
Yeah I got them on, and they fit pretty good. The doors close better than they did with the glue on type and way less wind noise. I'm still getting a little wind noise from around the windows, but that is an issue with the one piece windows, not the door weatherstripping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b&a72 View Post
How is the sound with the speakers up under the dash like that? I was thinking of doing the same thing.

Not that great right now. I think the main issue is I don't have my sub installed yet, so the 6" just aren't cutting it. I may also need to re-wire the tweeters (2 settings on crossover) and play with the settings on the stereo to figure out what I like.

It make noise though!
Old 06-26-2010, 01:32 AM   #548
Ackattack

Well after over a month of waiting, I finally got my bag cups from Suicided doors this week. I popped them in tonight with no problems.

I also got my dash pad and some heater hose bulkhead fittings this week. Hopefully I'll get those in this week. I am waiting on an A/C belt idler pulley. I ordered the tensioner pulley by mistake and had to send it back.

Almost done. There is a show on 4th of July that I'll be going to, but the truck won't be done. However, there is the goodguys show towards the end of July , and I hope to be "done" with it by then. We'll see!
Old 06-26-2010, 09:30 AM   #549
67cheby
67cheby

IF WE CANT SEE IT..... IT DIDNT HAPPEN !!! so is it lower with the bag cups??
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:04 PM   #550
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
IF WE CANT SEE IT..... IT DIDNT HAPPEN !!! so is it lower with the bag cups??

No, it will actually be 1/2" higher with the bags dumped. Ride height will be the same though.