The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #126
1949gmc

Re: 1972 Blazer - 'Bullet' Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
Arizona
Oh, you and your rust free floorboards can just be quiet! LOL! I'm just kidding. We got something that you don't got, though, nor do you want it: LAKE EFFECT SNOW! My desktop weather channel thingy says I'm supposed to get 8-12 inches by Friday morning. What can I do.... it's January. Gotta expect it sooner or later.

Last edited by 1949gmc; 01-07-2010 at 06:32 PM.
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #127
1949gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lks dcvn View Post
Not sure on the doors yet - the set on there isn't too bad - some rust here and there.

I also have a set of truck doors that I might use - haven't got that far yet though.

When I get there and I have a need - I will be in touch. Thanks.
No worries. I'm thinking of putting them on the parts board as I need the dinero. Wanted to give you first shot.
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #128
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949gmc View Post
Oh, you and your rust free floorboards can just be quiet! LOL! I'm just kidding.
Hope he has some thick skin, showing us easterners those floorboards

Nice work so far on the rust, lksdcvn! What you are doin' is the hardest part of the resto. Hope the new heater works out for you, nice to be warm when your doing a difficult task

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 01-07-2010 at 07:09 PM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #129
1sik52
Account Suspended

Quote:
Today's progress - more bone chilling time in the garage - high of 28 today -

I ordered a set of the floor supports from GMCPaul today [Pic 1] - hopefully they show up by the weekend so I can see how they look mocked up in position - they support the floor area under the corner of the floor where my rust hole is.

I also need to pick up some weld through primer tomorrow/this week since the paint place was closed today by the time I thought of it.

Pix of the progress.

[Pix 2 & 3]

I cut out the floor to test fit the inner rocker patch - came out pretty close. I then mocked up the B Pillar patch and got it cut down close enough

[Pix 4 & 5]

I then wanted to see how the outer rocker looked mocked up so I put it on and got a few pix to show it on the truck...
You gotta love how the rockers have about a 1/2 inch gap up on the A pillar and they dont meet.
1sik52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #130
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Hope he has some thick skin, showing us easterners those floorboards

It just rolls right off
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #131
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1949gmc View Post
Oh, you and your rust free floorboards can just be quiet! LOL! I'm just kidding. We got something that you don't got, though, nor do you want it: LAKE EFFECT SNOW! My desktop weather channel thingy says I'm supposed to get 8-12 inches by Friday morning. What can I do.... it's January. Gotta expect it sooner or later.
Ya ya ya

That snow is rough. I'm from Cinci originally.
If that isn't enough we seemed to get hit with 3-4 inches of ice, then 8 inches of snow on top, power lines down, no electric for weeks. That seemed to happen consistently 4-5 winters in a row.
So we got the heck outta dodge.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #132
lks dcvn

Got an email that my new heater showed up today at my house from FedEx. - I hope this thing works like it should.

I will be spending some time in the garage tonight when I get home to get some stuff done. Hopefully, with less layers on...

1. Apply rust sealant paint on the inside of the torsion boxes [need to warm them up to do this so the paint can cure].

2. Get patch metal ready for the rear floor where it meets the step up on the B pillar.

3. Maybe start on the front floor support and then work my way out.

Hoping to make some progress on this blazer this week.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #133
jaros44sr

Quote:
Got an email that my new heater showed up today at my house from FedEx. - I hope this thing works like it should.

I will be spending some time in the garage tonight when I get home to get some stuff done. Hopefully, with less layers on...

1. Apply rust sealant paint on the inside of the torsion boxes [need to warm them up to do this so the paint can cure].

2. Get patch metal ready for the rear floor where it meets the step up on the B pillar.

3. Maybe start on the front floor support and then work my way out.

Hoping to make some progress on this blazer this week.

Gotta love the heat, hope it works out for you. Just waiting for the new pics

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 01-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #134
lks dcvn

OK - got the main thing I wanted to get done tonight - out of the way...

painted the inside of the torsion boxes...I got them up to temp - the new heater works pretty good - and then put a coat on them to keep them from rusting away.

They had some scale and some minor pitting - but they were solid enough to use I killed the heater - no fires thank you - and then went to work.

Right now the garage door is open [for a few hours] to let the combustible fumes out so I can get to work tomorrow evening. I was getting hungry so I stopped for dinner...

Here are a few before and after pix. No more rusting from these guys...
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #135
lks dcvn

I have been working here and there on this thing and got some time tonight to get some minor welding done...I stink at welding, but the metal is solid - I tried the bend/pull/break my welds (within reason) after I got done with spot welding - nothing broke loose so...solid enough for me...

Don't laugh at my welding - I am still learning.

Using the front cab mount that I goofed up on a few posts ago I cut that down to make a floor patch since the 'lip' on it was the same size as the floor/step lip - pix will make that much clearer...

Now my outer floor extension patch fits right in there and I can burn it in once I get the front cab mount in there solid as well.

Trying to find time to get this thing moving along...slowly but surely.

This is taking me forever, but I find it rewarding to see that I am saving something that would surely rust out around here.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #136
1956cameo

It might be at a slower pace than you would like, but your progress is looking good. I am like you; it is always nice to have a rust free body to work with, but knowing you brought a rusted out truck back from the brink is always rewarding.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #137
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looks good to me. I want to learn sometime soon and find a decently priced welder myself...
Old 01-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #138
lks dcvn

I got some more done last night - but didn't have the camera available...

Front cab mount is now solid and welded in - I shook it to death to make sure it was in there - That is my non-scientific way of testing my welds...

I only get about an hour or so a night to work on this stuff.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:46 PM   #139
lks dcvn

Alright - had a full day yesterday to get some stuff done-

Got the outer floor and inner rocker burned in and coated with some rust prevention paint.

Plenty of pix coming up...

I will have to fix my B pillar post patch panel - I got a bit zealous at trimming it to fit and took a bit too much off the top -
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #140
lks dcvn

more pix. I had to keep welding, grinding and then rewelding to get it all to solid metal without any holes - what I PITA!
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #141
lks dcvn

coating on and mocking up my B-pillar -

I couldn't get my cut-off wheel or the flap disk close enough to the step up to get the welds ground down smooth - so I left them - they are in there solid - so I didn't worry about it too much...
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #142
lks dcvn

I got the B pillar burned in last night - so that is done now - some time with a flap disc in the angle grinder should get it very close where only a small skim of glazing putty should do the trick to level it off.

I am wondering about my A pillar patch - I might just buy another patch panel and start over on that - I cut too much off the first one and it might be easier to just get another one.

**UPDATE**
I just bought a psgr side floor pan and another A pillar patch today - should be here in day or so - that should take care of the rest of the psgr side.

I am worried about hanging the door to see how this all lines up. I would hate to start over on the psgr side.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #143
nuke1

Cool, lookin good.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #144
jaros44sr

[QUOTE=lks dcvn;3777509

**UPDATE**
I just bought a psgr side floor pan and another A pillar patch today - should be here in day or so - that should take care of the rest of the psgr side.

I am worried about hanging the door to see how this all lines up. I would hate to start over on the psgr side.[/QUOTE]

Looks really good, the more you weld the better you get at it. That is a really tough area, as you have about 5 patch panels going in at one area, and you pulled it off...Congrats

You will probably have to tweak the 'A' post patch at the inner rocker to get your outer rocker to sit low enough, generally that is where I had problems. But, all in all it looks like a really nice job!!!

It's not that bad to have to start over, just wish I would have tacked the parts in, as opposed to a full weld. Oh well, sh!t happens, I'll get back to the passenger side one day Luckily the patch panels aren't really that expensive

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 02-03-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #145
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

nice progress.

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #146
lks dcvn

Thx for the comps guys - I am working on it almost every night now - by the time I get home, make/eat dinner and then get out there and warm up the garage - I have about an hour or two to work - which is fine by me - by then I am usually pretty tired of welding/grinding/etc. and I am ready for a break.

7 hours of sleep, 1.5 hours of working out in the morning and 8 hours of work away from the truck makes me forget how bad the process is and I am ready to start again -

I did get my flap disk up near the step and cleaned up the rest of those welds so they don't look so 'natural' anymore.

I can't see how this would go any faster in the warmer months - I would spend more time with a cold beer in my hand than a welder.

I miss the warm months. ~12 weeks and counting...

Last edited by lks dcvn; 02-03-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #147
1956cameo

Keep up the good work its really starting to take shape.

My timeframe for progress effeciency is the exact opposite of you. Since I live in a humid subtropical environment I try to get as much work done as possible from mid November thru Early April. That is when the shop is usually a steady 50-65 degrees. Anything outside of that time frame is miserable. With shop temperatures from 90-105 degrees, with 85-100% humidity. In July and August all I want to do in the shop is sit in front of a fan and chug Gatorade. I cant do bodywork because sweat gets all over the body filler and primer; and if you paint sweat will drip onto the fresh coat of paint!

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry

Last edited by 1956cameo; 02-03-2010 at 04:32 PM.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #148
lks dcvn

I got the patch panels today for the a pillar and the floor -

Wasn't expecting them for another day or so - so I got started and got this one to mate a LOT better than my last one. The first one I did I tried to get fancy with - not worth it.

I didn't get to weld it in tonight, but mocked it up and then slapped on the outer rocker to see how it would measure up...little bit of fitting at the front and rear of the outer rocker, but looks pretty close to me -

Over the next few weeks I should (hopefully) get the passenger side done and then move over the driver side...

I will weld in the a pillar and then tack in the outer rocker and install the door and front fender to see how it looks - makes me wish I had an empty door shell to use...instead of heaving the loaded door around.

Wish me luck to get this side done in the next week or so. I can't wait to get to the other side.

I am booked on Saturday for most of the day so I might only have Sunday morn/afternoon to get to work on it.
Attached Images

Last edited by lks dcvn; 02-04-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #149
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Nice work Dude!! Lookin good!

2009 4x4 Chevy Crew Cab 6.0
1989 4x4 Siverado (270,000 miles)
1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton
1970 Corvette (sons project)

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09

Last edited by Chevyman63; 02-04-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Chevyman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #150
lks dcvn

Got the A pillar on yesterday and then tacked in the outer rocker and hung the door and the front fender - fit pretty good actually - although I need to get my door lined up a bit better...it didn't help that I removed the hinges from the doors first and then the hinges from the a pillar []

I did some more fitting, but it was getting cold so I headed inside to take a break...

I plan to get the floor patched up, the door and fender back on then swing the truck around and get started on the driver side of things. That side (I am hoping) should go much faster -

I need to clean up the front fender and see how it looks without surface rust on it...I might just swap doors, but have made that final decision yet.
Attached Images