The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

One More Time...

I'm bacccckkkkk!

After I got rid of the dream, (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=257530) I have been really wanting to go with a Chevy (GMC) truck that was a lot older...

I tried rebuilding a 1954 Chevrolet 1-ton but in the end it wasn't what I really wanted. It was a single wheel rear axle long bed without a 5 window cab and had vent windows... yuck! I started rebuilding it but sold it to a friend who was looking for a mid 50's truck to do a chop top on.

So I just acquired a 1948 GMC 1 1/2 ton dually flat bed but it has more of the things I was looking for.

It has a 5 window cab and no vent windows... It also is a dually which I can live with being a big truck. Here are some before photos. I will post more as I tear into this beast and decide where to go with it. It's very complete and it runs...

D
Attached Images

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
Advanced Design

Re: One More Time...

Solid truck! Members in the dry climates are fortunate in being able to find nice ones.

Looking forward to updates.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
Richard8971

I have played around with a lot of different options, one was taking the cab off and putting it onto a newer dually frame. After discussing it with the wife and a few people we have decided to keep it as "original" as possible. We will keep the 270 and '49 running gear.

I know the trend is to customize 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks but you don't see many restored 1 1/2 tons on the road. I like the fact that it's different, should make for a nice shop truck.

I have chosen a pearl orange/cream white as my colors. I am going to start tearing her down soon, I will post progress photos.

D

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 06-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #4
Richard8971

Got the truck over to my body shop today to start the tear down. I wanted to do a test of the custom pearl orange so I removed the glove box and painted it.

Enjoy!

D
Attached Images

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 06-20-2015, 12:31 AM   #5
jrdecat

Sweet! I just picked up a 51 GMC 350 so I'm glad to see another big bolt. I'm hounding a guy about an 82 k30 with utility bed, so it's got narrow axle duals in the rear. Plan on swapping the cab over and hopefully getting the 6.2 from the k30 in there.
jrdecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:26 AM   #6
Richard8971

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdecat View Post
Sweet! I just picked up a 51 GMC 350 so I'm glad to see another big bolt. I'm hounding a guy about an 82 k30 with utility bed, so it's got narrow axle duals in the rear. Plan on swapping the cab over and hopefully getting the 6.2 from the k30 in there.
A 350? Wow, big boy. I struggled with swapping the cab over but decided that not having to deal with the brake swap, steering issues and everything else was not worth keeping the truck the way it is. I can't wait to see progress photos of your project.

D

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 06-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
jrdecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard8971 View Post
A 350? Wow, big boy. I struggled with swapping the cab over but decided that not having to deal with the brake swap, steering issues and everything else was not worth keeping the truck the way it is. I can't wait to see progress photos of your project.

D
Some need to kept original, and nothing beats an original restoration. That will happen for me some day, but not this time around. I haven't sold anything yet so let me know if you need anything that isn't cab and front sheet metal.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=7210578#post7210578
Posted via Mobile Device
jrdecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #8
Richard8971

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdecat View Post
Some need to kept original, and nothing beats an original restoration. That will happen for me some day, but not this time around. I haven't sold anything yet so let me know if you need anything that isn't cab and front sheet metal.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...78#post7210578
Posted via Mobile Device
Sweet, thanks!

D

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 11-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #9
Richard8971

I haven't posted anything in a while but progress has been made on the '49.

I started tearing her down and started getting pieces of the interior reconditioned and painted. Ill take some photos this weekend and post some updates.

D

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 08-28-2016, 07:29 PM   #10
Richard8971

I know it's been a while but work on the '48 has been progressing. I decided on a stone white finish with pearl orange fenders and charcoal accents.

I am still undecided on reworking the existing running gear or updating the frame/engine.

I kind of like the dually look so I was thinking of going with a 90's C30 frame/dually. After what I learned with my '67 stepper, updated running gear has it appeal.

I wanted to post some more pics of the colors I chose.
Attached Images

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 01-25-2019, 01:40 AM   #11
Richard8971

It's been a while but I'm back to work on the '49. I thought it was a '48 based on the VIN decoding, but according to the title, it's a '49, so we will go with that.

We are in tear down mode but getting really close to the start of body work. So far, this is a very solid truck, with only surface rust. It's amazing how little trouble I have run into pulling this apart. Only a small few bolts had to be cut out due to rust.

Now that I am in 100% production mode, I hope that progress advances quickly. I will post more pics as I complete items.

Oh, and I have truly decided to keep this as an "original as possible" 1 1/2 dually. It's not exactly 100% what I want but you rarely see restored 300 series trucks, so I am going to go with it. It should be pretty sweet and a head turner when she is done.

D
Attached Images

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo