The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
1972BlueC20

Urgent, need opinions on my new crate engine

Guys I need your urgent input please!

Here is the situation in a nutshell :

I just ordered the 290 HP Gm crate 350 engine from Summit Racing.

Part # 19244450

I have since been hearing a lot of negative comments regarding this engine. Some people say they love it, and it's fine for a daily driver (which is what I want out of it, and I just want it to be equivalent to my current stock 175HP 350 engine)....others say it's a complete dog, especially off the line and in low RPM's.....I understand its all subjective and relative to everyone's own opinions....also there are many factors at play here which vary from person to person..for example.....1/2 ton, or 3/4 ton, 4x4, or 2WD, manual or automatic tranny....stall, no stall....rear end gearing....also there may be other issues with other faulty parts....bad distributors....incorrect timing settings....ect ect ect....

I'm looking for comments from everyone....but at the same time I would really like to hear from people who have first hand experienced the performance of this engine in our trucks or know someone who has rather than people just seeing the specs on paper and saying, "oh that engine is going to be a dog because of reason xyz".....I know you guys know your stuff and would probably be right in making judgement based just on specs, and I want your opinions too so please don't take that the wrong way.

My reason for needing input urgently is because, the engine has already been shipped from summit and should arrive tomorrow or Monday. I spoke to summit just now about my options of potentially returning the engine and buying another engine instead.....they told me that if I just REFUSE the delivery, it will get sent back and I will not be charged anything. I then can order the new engine and have it delivered on another shipment. This may create some issues, so I took screenshots of the chat dialog where the agent said I WOULD NOT BE CHARGED in case I do this and then they try to charge me. I don't really want to go through all this unless the engine is really going to be horrible! I don't like to be wishy-washy about anything, but I'm spending about $5K on this deal with parts and labor for the install and I just want to be happy at the end of this. Again, I'm not looking to build a hotrod, just a plenty of power stock equivalent daily driver engine for my 72 c20.

To you guys that have already given me some input on this in other posts that I've made, i'm sorry to keep going on about this but I'm just having some buyers remorse and it's a crappy feeling.

Thanks in advance guys!!
Old 11-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
sprint_9

Re: Urgent, need opinions on my new crate engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BlueC20 View Post
I just want it to be equivalent to my current stock 175HP 350 engine)
Why not just rebuild/freshen your stock engine then?
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
1972BlueC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_9 View Post
Why not just rebuild/freshen your stock engine then?

Well, I thought about doing that at first.

One of my heads is cracked at one of the bolt holes, so I'd need to either find some factory used replacement heads and have them redone, or buy some aftermarket heads. Both of which options aren't cheap, and I don't know of a good machine shop in my area that I know I can trust....machine shops can be high too....but just looking into the option of buying 2 new heads, it would be around $700-$1200+ just for heads.

I heard that you really shouldn't put a new top end on a old lower end....not sure if this is true....heard it could cause issues to pop up shortly down the road....heard it's best to rebuild the whole thing if you have it torn down to that point....which again would cost more than a new crate once everything is factored in.

that all being said, i figured that by the time I factor in the cost of buying new heads, new gaskets and my time it was better and would give more satisfaction on the end result to just buy a brand new shiny crate engine with a warranty....
Old 11-14-2014, 02:57 AM   #4
mechanicalman

Quote:
Well, I thought about doing that at first.

One of my heads is cracked at one of the bolt holes, so I'd need to either find some factory used replacement heads and have them redone, or buy some aftermarket heads. Both of which options aren't cheap, and I don't know of a good machine shop in my area that I know I can trust....machine shops can be high too....but just looking into the option of buying 2 new heads, it would be around $700-$1200+ just for heads.

I heard that you really shouldn't put a new top end on a old lower end....not sure if this is true....heard it could cause issues to pop up shortly down the road....heard it's best to rebuild the whole thing if you have it torn down to that point....which again would cost more than a new crate once everything is factored in.

that all being said, i figured that by the time I factor in the cost of buying new heads, new gaskets and my time it was better and would give more satisfaction on the end result to just buy a brand new shiny crate engine with a warranty....
Putting new heads on an old short block being a bad idea is an old wife's tale. The bottom end will not degrade just because of good heads. How many miles did you say were on your bottom end? Anything less that 100,000 miles, provided I had no reason to believe anything was wrong, I'd put a new cam, heads, timing chain/gears on it and not worry.

Get some small chamber heads, the cam I recommended and you and your buddies put them and all the other new parts you ordered on your old engine a set of headers, new dual exhaust if you need it and have fun. I'd recommend the 65cc heads for 399.00$ and felpro 1094 head gaskets and a cheap set of new head bolts. You will spend half as much and go twice as fast.

http://www.aeroheadracing.com/chevy.html

ANOTHER OPTION would be to sell the heads off the 290HP and put the 65cc heads on it. THAT would get you LOTS of power and about 9.5:1 compression with steel shim head gaskets. THEN your 290HP cam will work, and work well.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #5
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Putting new heads on an old short block being a bad idea is an old wife's tale. The bottom end will not degrade just because of good heads. How many miles did you say were on your bottom end? Anything less that 100,000 miles, provided I had no reason to believe anything was wrong, I'd put a new cam, heads, timing chain/gears on it and not worry.

Get some small chamber heads, the cam I recommended and you and your buddies put them and all the other new parts you ordered on your old engine a set of headers, new dual exhaust if you need it and have fun. I'd recommend the 65cc heads for 399.00$ and felpro 1094 head gaskets and a cheap set of new head bolts. You will spend half as much and go twice as fast.

http://www.aeroheadracing.com/chevy.html

ANOTHER OPTION would be to sell the heads off the 290HP and put the 65cc heads on it. THAT would get you LOTS of power and about 9.5:1 compression with steel shim head gaskets. THEN your 290HP cam will work, and work well.
Or Vortec heads.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #6
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
Or Vortec heads.
Oh, yes, much preferred but I think he already got a nice Gen I intake.

Of course, he could send it back and get the right one!
Old 11-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #7
MAC71

I put both of my trucks on a scale. The 71 C10 long bed was 4400 lbs and the C20 Suburban was 6800 lbs.

1971 C10 350
1969 C20 396
1979 Corvette L-82
MAC71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:26 AM   #8
1972BlueC20

UPDATE :

ok guys thanks so much for all your help and input!

So it turns out that when I ordered this engine (the 290HP with chrome package # 19244450) I made sure multiple times with the summit racing people on the online chat as to whether the engine came with the intake manifold installed and the valve covers and timing chain cover installed. They said YES!!!

Well I went over today to my mechanics shop to look at the engine and NOPE, nothing was installed....its just the cheaper $2000 290 HP crate with the plain black valve covers and timing cover with no intake installed....then they just stuffed all the chrome parts on top of the engine in the wood crate! LOL

So because of this, they have agreed to come pick up the engine and take it back free of charge!

They will refund me and then I can order whatever engine I want!

This is probably good since I was hesitant about this engine anyways and it's not really suited for my application.

I am thinking about getting this engine instead....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-19210007

what do you guys think of this one?

I have a few days to make up my mind, so I need feedback!!!

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 11-13-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
flashed

I have a 290 HP crate motor in my wife's 72 Malibu convertible for several years now and probably 70,000 trouble free miles ,love it .
I also have the 260 HP crate motor in my newly restored 72 shortbed fleetside truck and it has all the power I need .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #10
1972BlueC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I have a 290 HP crate motor in my wife's 72 Malibu convertible for several years now and probably 70,000 trouble free miles ,love it .
I also have the 260 HP crate motor in my newly restored 72 shortbed fleetside truck and it has all the power I need .

I'm happy to hear that, but I'm just worried since my truck is so much heavier than the malibu that it will not be as good in my application.

I hope I end up as pleased as you! Thanks for the input!
Old 11-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #11
JointTech

curb weight on a 72 malibu convertible with a v8 is 3476.
C10 fleetside longbed is 3605.
Guys, these are NOT heavy trucks.... the difference is less than a fat chick in the passenger seat.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #12
cdowns

If you run huge 33inch tires and 307 rear gears they are definatly going to b a doggy but common sence and complimentary gears and tires will act great
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #13
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Since Warranty is your strongest point have you tried talking to the Guy's at Scoggin-Dickey in Lubbock? They have a great reputation for their motor's. and you might be able to talk to them about what you want (power) what you need (good Vacuum) and I believe they will cam swap and still maintain factory warranty.

I have had no first hand experience with them, Only word of mouth.

https://sdparts.com/category/crate-engines

Might be worth the Call.

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #14
1972BlueC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
curb weight on a 72 malibu convertible with a v8 is 3476.
C10 fleetside longbed is 3605.
Guys, these are NOT heavy trucks.... the difference is less than a fat chick in the passenger seat.

Lol

What's the curb weight on my c20? The door says 6700 gvwr
Old 11-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Lol

What's the curb weight on my c20? The door says 6700 gvwr
4090 pounds. GM calls it road weight not curb weight.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #16
mechanicalman

Airspeed has a 4WD, and a good chance he has distributor advance problems.

But still, if you can send it back without costs, I'd do what I already recommended to you and get the 260HP and put in the cam/lifters I recommended appropriate for that engine.

You could use the lifters that come with the engine, I don't believe it has been ran so they would not be broke in yet but the lifters I recommended are the best wear-wise by far.

Then, while the oil pan, valve covers/timing cover are off so you can put some chrome ones on there and a nice 1pc oil pan gasket to ward off the inevitable leak the factory gasket will give you.

Or, just stick with the 260HP and be happy. Remember, it only makes 260HP with headers and a spot-on tune. So, put headers on it.

If you installed a new cam, and IF for any reason other than cam if the engine failed, you could save the original cam/lifters and put back in it before you sent back the core. Easy-pesy.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 11-13-2014 at 09:48 PM. Reason: add-on
Old 11-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #17
1972BlueC20

so if I'm getting the right number, my truck weighs 3,991 LBS without any passengers.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #18
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
so if I'm getting the right number, my truck weighs 3,991 LBS without any passengers.

No. Road weight is shipping weight plus fuel, water, and oil. So if your truck is a 3/4T fleetside with a V-8 road weight is 4090# without passengers.

LockDoc

-
Old 11-14-2014, 12:26 AM   #19
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
No. Road weight is shipping weight plus fuel, water, and oil. So if your truck is a 3/4T fleetside with a V-8 road weight is 4090# without passengers.

LockDoc
I assume that is base V8 w/o options. Right? I'd think A/C alone would add at least 100#.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:43 AM   #20
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
I assume that is base V8 w/o options. Right? I'd think A/C alone would add at least 100#.

The shipping weight is the weight of the vehicle built to factory specifications. It also states that all weights are estimates....

LockDoc

-
Old 11-14-2014, 06:22 AM   #21
JointTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post

LockDoc
k so a couple fat chicks
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #22
67ctener

I rode in a Monte Carlo with this 290 hp crate motor and was ver impressed. Also my friend has it in his k20
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #23
GoaterAz

Keep in mind, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

But, from what I gather...that engine is over cammed and struggles down low. That said, I can't imagine it being less powerful than your current 175hp 350.

It doesn't sound like you're asking too much out of the performance, I really don't see how you would be unsatisfied.

Me neither.
GoaterAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:56 PM   #24
ElKotze

Well, this is a tough one. I just put a 350 Crate with 260hp in my '68 C10. It has HEI, Headers, Edelbrock Performer Intake and 600cfm Carb and let me tell you: I am very happy. Plenty of power from a stand still, enough torque to spin the tires easily and decent mpg. So if there is a chance that you won't be happy with the 290, why risk it ? Sounds like the 260 will give you exactly what you want. But I understand, there is the hassle of returning the engine.....like I said, a tough one. Hope, I could help a little.
ElKotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:35 AM   #25
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I can't help with the performance problem with the 290HP but I bought the 260HP and put it in my Suburban with A 2004r automatic over drive trans and 3.73 gears and was very happy with it.

LockDoc

-