The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2008, 02:25 AM   #1
chevymotocross

Time to add more bass

I'm currently running a Kicker 10'' TC10 truck sub powered by a Sony Xplod 4 channel 600w amp and a pioneer headunit. I have my gain and low level boost turned all the way up on the amp. The sub is ok, but it just doesn't hit hard enough. I'm not sure what to upgrade, or if I should upgrade both the amp and sub. I really don't need a 4 channel amp, since I'm only using the amp to power the sub (I have it bridged). The kicker box is nice but it's just that one 10'' sub. So do I keep the sub, and got a mono or 2 channel amp, or, do I keep the amp, and buy a 12''? Or, do I upgrade both?
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
tommyd241

Re: Time to add more bass

What is the RMS rating on that sub and how much RMS wattage is the amp giving it?
tommyd241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:41 AM   #3
chevymotocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd241 View Post
What is the RMS rating on that sub and how much RMS wattage is the amp giving it?
The sub has a 150 watt RMS rating.

The amp has a rating of 150 RMS to my sub..... according to crutchfield.com http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HiryhFy...px?i=158XM4060
when I have it bridged (which it is).
Old 05-30-2008, 08:33 AM   #4
tommyd241

I would go with this subwoofer. Its on clearance sell right now. 12" though: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=737

and this amp to power it: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=45

if you want to stick to a 10" sub you could try this: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=30 with the same Nine.2 amp.

Check out their site. They can make you a custom box too if you give them measurements. A vented box will give you more bass output as well.

Last edited by tommyd241; 05-30-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
AceX
>130dB Moderator

A ported box for those types of subs often hurts more than it helps...

If you want it to hit harder, add another sub and an EQ to adjust the system. You can make them hit harder by adjusting crossover points, slopes, and gain.

Adding another 10" sub just like the one you have should do alot to solve the problem, but might create the problem of not having good enough mids/highs.

I say add the extra sub and go from there. It's the cheapest and easiest solution. Just beware that more isn't always better. I have more than just about anyone and I've spent I can't tell how many hours tuning, and still have many more to go...

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:20 PM   #6
dallas77
64' Chevy C10

I would Check Location of the Sub. Is the Box built to specs? sounds like you have enough sub and amp to push the sub but I guess the real question is how much bass are you looking for? I have 1 10" infinity kappa with 250 RMS and 1250 Peak that really drowns out the music if I turn my amp all the way up I keep it turned down to about half boost on the amp and its gives me a nice happy medium from the bass mids and highs. but if you want an extreme amount of Bass a second sub is your best bet then you run into space issues. The subs that AceX has in his avatar Pioneer TS-SW3041D are really good speakers if you have any issues with space.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:39 AM   #7
chevymotocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceX View Post
A ported box for those types of subs often hurts more than it helps...

If you want it to hit harder, add another sub and an EQ to adjust the system. You can make them hit harder by adjusting crossover points, slopes, and gain.

Adding another 10" sub just like the one you have should do alot to solve the problem, but might create the problem of not having good enough mids/highs.

I say add the extra sub and go from there. It's the cheapest and easiest solution. Just beware that more isn't always better. I have more than just about anyone and I've spent I can't tell how many hours tuning, and still have many more to go...
I was thinking about doing this. I bought the kicker tc10 truck sub/box at circuit city for almost $200 but they are listed on ebay quite cheap. Currently, the one sub I have is located in the center, directly behind my bench. If I was to get another, I'd have one on each side obviously. So I would wire both of these to the rear speaker terminals on the amp? Currently, I have my one sub bridged on this terminal.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:13 AM   #8
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Yes, you would wire them to the rear channels, which should put half as much power to each sub, but you will be moving twice as much sone area. Besides that, power isn't everything. With the lower power levels will come less distortion and it may feel like the subs are hitting harder when really they aren't doing any more work than before, they just don't have all that distortion to contend with.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:36 AM   #9
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceX View Post
Yes, you would wire them to the rear channels, which should put half as much power to each sub, but you will be moving twice as much sone area. Besides that, power isn't everything. With the lower power levels will come less distortion and it may feel like the subs are hitting harder when really they aren't doing any more work than before, they just don't have all that distortion to contend with.

I beg to disagree. Under-powering speakers usually leads to higher levels of distortion and burnt voice coils much faster than too much clean power. With Chevymotocross having both the gain all the way up and the low boost maxed out, he's probably sending a square wave to that poor little 10" already.

If you want more bass, there is no substitute for cone area, but you have to power those speakers adequately. It's hard to tell how much bass you want, but I would suggest buying a quality sub (or subs) and either building or have someone build you a proper enclosure. I find that premade (off the shelf) boxes typically leave a lot to be desired. The subs and amp Tommyd241 mentioned are awesome, and would be a good starting point. You could always move that Sony up to your mids/highs or whatever you are using.

Once you get a proper enclosure and amp, look up the thread in this forum on setting your amplifier gain. Your gain knob is not a volume knob for the amplifier!
And (most important!) don't forget that to make power you need to feed your amp plenty of juice. Don't skimp on the wiring (and that includes the grounds!!) or you are basically throwing your money in the trash. Just my .02!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #10
72 cheyenne pdx

You have a Sony Xplod 4 channel 600W amp. You currently have a 10" kicker sub that has 150W RMS capabilities. I hate to do this, but I assume it has a 4 ohm load. If you run the Amps back 2 channels in stereo mode, you are going to have approx. 120W per spec. I would go this route.

You shouldn't run the gain all the way up. You are only introducing distortion to the speakers and that isn't a good thing. Rule of thumb, gains shouldn't be more than 3/4 of the way up. I understand different Amps have different levels. Every Amp I have ever tuned, not ever have they been more than 3/4 up before distortion came in.

Good Luck.
SEA
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

I'm assuming (yes I know what they say!) that the Kicker box has one set of inputs and is rated at 4 ohms. I'm assuming this b/c I looked it up on the internet. Running the rear channels in stereo would make no sense. He can bridge the rear two channels on that amp (which he is already doing), run at a 4ohm bridged (2ohm st) load and have 150 watts in to the sub according to the amps ratings.

His problem is he wants more bass than that Sony amp and Kicker sub will give him. He needs better sub(s) in a proper enclosure powered by good clean quality wattage.

Another question I have for the OP is what (ball-park) frequency are you crossing the subwoofer over at? For the type subwoofer you are using, generally around 80hz give or take a bit is usually in the right area. More of my .02.....

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
Old 06-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #12
tommyd241

I found both a vented and a sealed Kicker 10'' TC10 loaded enclosure on the web. Which one do you have chevymotocross?

Also that Sony XM-4060GTX amp is an interesting looking amp. You should utilize the front channels of that amp to power your front speakers. They will sound better than running them off the HU.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #13
72 cheyenne pdx

Rivet1 - I was talking about running 2 10" kickers. Maybe I was looking at the wrong specs, but I could have sworn that running it bridged with an 8ohm load (running the subs in series) actually gave lower wattage. I also thought I read (again maybe wrong amp) that it couldn't do 2ohm bridged (running the subs in parallel).

FYI - I have ran in the past a Rockford Fosgate 60x2 to 2 12" subs in parallel. We figured that they were getting each about 110W-150W. Now my box was custom built by yours truly. Went to a good guys show and was hitting 132db. Yes it wasn't in a truck, it was in my beloved VW Golf. Power wise, I think he's fine. I think what he needs is another 10" and a custom box built for them. The box itself will help tremendously if built to the subs specs and the right materials.

Chevymotocross - The store bought box isn't giving that sub any justice. What I would do is have some one build you a custom box. I would go with a sealed, but that is what to you. Maybe have the box made to hold 2 10" subs that are sealed individually. The box is going to run about $150 or more depending what you do. If you are still not happy, and you went with the 2 sub box, you can then buy another sub and slap it in. You can run it in stereo mode or bridged mode and you should then be happy with the sound.

Good Luck.

SEA

Last edited by 72 cheyenne pdx; 06-18-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:09 PM   #14
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 cheyenne pdx View Post
Rivet1 - I was talking about running 2 10" kickers. Maybe I was looking at the wrong specs, but I could have sworn that running it bridged with an 8ohm load (running the subs in series) actually gave lower wattage. I also thought I read (again maybe wrong amp) that it couldn't do 2ohm bridged (running the subs in parallel).

FYI - I have ran in the past a Rockford Fosgate 60x2 to 2 12" subs in parallel. We figured that they were getting each about 110W-150W. Now my box was custom built by yours truly. Went to a good guys show and was hitting 132db. Yes it wasn't in a truck, it was in my beloved VW Golf. Power wise, I think he's fine. I think what he needs is another 10" and a custom box built for them. The box itself will help tremendously if built to the subs specs and the right materials.
Yes, but you didn't state that you were talking about running two 10's. It's the internet, we can't read ur mind! And you are correct, that amp will put out less power at 8ohm bridged and will not run at 2ohms bridged.

Also, comparing your Fosgate setup to his setup isn't fair, b/c you obviously have some installation experience. Installation is at least 80% of the equation, with gear being the other 20%. I've seen very modest systems take on systems that were worth twice as much and come out on top. It all came down to the install. (Which is what you seem to be getting at too) We could go back and forth all day on this stuff, and still never get anywhere.

Anyway, since we haven't heard back from the OP, I'll consider this post dead. Hopefully he found something that works for him, or found someone to make it work for him....

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"

Last edited by Riveted1; 06-21-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #15
72 cheyenne pdx

Quote:
we can't read ur mind
What do you mean by this? I thought that all Chevy owners had this power.

Yeah i think this thread is dead as well.

If anybody needs help on this forum when it comes to stereo equipment, hit me up. I believe Riveted1 and AceX will step in as well as the other Stereo fanatics.

Last edited by 72 cheyenne pdx; 06-24-2008 at 07:05 PM.