The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
70stroker

fuel line routing, suggestions?

Ok guys while my motor is out i plan on taking out my current setup (rubber hose from the fuel cell up) and installing hardline. I also want to get rid of the plastic fuel filter. I have a canister fuel filter left over from another project and gettin ready to order the SS fuel line. Heres how i kina of have it planed. Put the filter on the firewall andhave the feed line goin into it from the passenger side, then out into a fuel pressure gauge, back down to the mechanical fuel pump. Does anyone see a problem with this? Any suggestions would be awesome. Im only worried about the waythe fuel line is gonna have to go up and of course that makes even more line its got to flow thru. I thought about installing the filter on the frame, but i think i would like the ease of changing it on the firewall. Anyway just let me know what you guys suggest.

70stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Re: fuel line routing, suggestions?

I think it is 16" from the flywheel for NHRA . I mounted a regulator there and it was questioned during tech inspection . They let it go with a get it moved , but I moved it .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
383Ram

Re: fuel line routing, suggestions?

I dont remember if there was/is a specified distance, but definatly do not mount anything fuel related on the firewall. Move it to the fenderwell, framerail, whatever. Just not on the firewall.

From the fenderwell, or where ever it gets mounted, you can use either braided line or pushloc line and aluminum fittings to get it to the engine.

The way you have it in the pic showing the original way is fine, and you can hardline it from the fuelpump up to the carb.

Now me personally, here is how i would do it. Fuel line down the inside of the framrail, box the rail in at the point it passes the bellhousing. flex line over to the mechanical pump. If your using that fram filter, my opinion is mount it after your mechanical pump, mount it on the engine, somewhere off the front of the head or so. Hard line it from the pump to the filter base. Then either hard line it to the carb with a T fitting and gauge off one branch of the tee, one into the carb, and one end the fuel line going in---or just use braided or pushloc line from the filter to the carb---still using a tee for the pressure gauge. You want to read the pressure as near to the carb inlet as possible. I hope that helps, if i need to explain it better, let me know.

454/4 speed, '85 Dodge Ram hybrid build in progress

454, PP heads, Dual 500 CFM cabs, 'Vette manifolds. First time out---spinning for half track

Slooowww build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=348050

Engine build thread at: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326289
383Ram is offline   Reply With Quote