The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2022, 03:46 PM   #1
SuperDuperDoughnuts

'65 Burb Project

Decided to start tackling some body work this winter. I'd rather not take it off the road for a year or two, so I'll chip away at what I can over winters when salt/snow are on the ground and hopefully have it together to enjoy the warm weather months. Certainly not the most labor efficient method, but keeps me busy while the weather is cold, and lets me have fun in the sun.

First up is the passenger side. I've got a caved in quarter, some rot where it joints the door jamb, and then a bunch of rot in the rockers, and the cancer spreads a bit into the floor pans.

I'll be using short-box bed sides to fill in most of the sheet metal, and I also have a long-box repair panel that goes from about mid-way thru the wheel opening up towards the cab. That should save me a lot of fabrication, but also means I'm going to be chopping these new parts to pieces.

So it begins...
Attached Images

SuperDuperDoughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:51 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: '65 Burb Project

Wow, that's some work to perform.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 09:21 AM   #3
SuperDuperDoughnuts

Re: '65 Burb Project

The worst bit is that some previous owner went bondo crazy. Not that I support covering rust with bondo, I can at least understand it. This person though, filled the entire floor pan with it for no good reason. Most of the pan is perfectly fine, except for the bondo all over it. What small issues there are with the floor, I suspect is caused by the bondo. Lots of chiseling away.

Rocker is going in, with some pieces for the floor pan. Differences between C10 parts and Suburban parts are creating some extra work.
Attached Images

SuperDuperDoughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote