The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2022, 07:10 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Did you PayPal users see this?

When I heard this I was like What? They can fine an individual for something they say and take the money right out of your account? Here is a copy paste article ... Such weird times we are living in. Its a little long, but interesting (in my view).

PayPal is currently in an existential crisis.

The company recently issued an updated “Acceptable Use Policy” (AUP), which was set to go into effect on November 3 of this year.

Among other things, the AUP included a $2,500 fine, which was to be imposed on users of PayPal if said users transmitted speech that the digital financial service company deemed unacceptable.

The type of speech that would have triggered the policy included “the sending, posting, or publication of any messages, content, or materials” that “promote misinformation.”

Debits taken directly from users’ PayPal accounts would have been the means used to collect the hefty fines.

Having already suffered the loss of free expression at the hands of the reigning misinformation police currently patrolling our society’s virtual and real worlds, a whole lot of people reacted swiftly and forcefully.

A tsunami-sized backlash against the AUP ensued in the conventional media, social media and elsewhere. This forced PayPal to backtrack big time.

Up until now the multinational technology company had been the world’s preeminent online payment system, ranking 143rd in revenue on the 2022 Fortune 500 list.

Originally founded in 1998 by Max Levchin, Peter Thiel and Luke Nosek as a company called Confinity, it went through a merger in 2000 with X.com, an online financial services company co-founded in 1999 by Elon Musk.

Musk directed X.com to focus its resources on the online payment business. Musk was subsequently replaced by Thiel as CEO of X.com, which was renamed PayPal, and ultimately went public in 2002. The former wholly owned subsidiary of eBay became an independent company again in 2015.

Like way too many other large tech enterprises, PayPal’s management ultimately swerved into speech regulating territory, banning in 2018 radio host Alex Jones, along with Jones’s website.

Three years later PayPal announced a plan to collaborate with the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) and the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC), as well as other nonprofits, to scrutinize users’ transactions for purported investigative purposes relating to extremism groups. The results were intended to be shared with law enforcement and other entities.

ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt indicated that a better understanding of how extremist groups use PayPal could potentially “help disrupt those activities.”

In September of 2022, PayPal closed the accounts of a British social commentator and two related groups, the Free Speech Union and The Daily Sceptic website.

The accounts were apparently terminated because of alleged misinformation about the COVID-19 vaccine. A few days later, however, PayPal reversed its decision.

During the same month, the company threatened to withdraw its sponsorship of the Phoenix Suns, if the basketball team’s owner Robert Sarver failed to be removed from the franchise.

Sarver is presently under a one-year suspension from the Suns, following an internal investigation that found he allegedly used “hostile” words and slurs against women and minorities.

The company also recently banned Gays Against Groomers, a group composed of LGBT-identifying individuals. Simultaneously, PayPal’s subsidiary Venmo also blocked the organization.

Ian Miles Cheong, an independent journalist who reports on the promotion of transgenderism to minors, has also been banned.

After facing media scrutiny and a viral wave of criticism, including some chiding from its former president David Marcus and one of the company’s founders Musk, lo and behold, the company stretched credibility by claiming the change in policy had gone out to the public by mistake.

A PayPal spokesperson reportedly told the following to National Review:

“An AUP notice recently went out in error that included incorrect information. PayPal is not fining people for misinformation and this language was never intended to be inserted in our policy. Our teams are working to correct our policy pages. We’re sorry for the confusion this has caused.”

— Marcus had used his Twitter account to slam the original AUP policy change.

“It’s hard for me to openly criticize a company I used to love and gave so much to. But PayPal’s new AUP goes against everything I believe in,” PayPal’s former CEO tweeted. “A private company now gets to decide to take your money if you say something they disagree with. Insanity.”

— Musk tweeted a single word reply, “Agreed.”

— Another Twitter user, Andrea Stroppa, had shared an article on the policy change and added, “Worrying. That’s why we need the X platform more than ever.”

Musk responded with an emoji, “��,” meaning total agreement. Stroppa appeared to be referring to a new platform that Musk recently said he wanted to create.

Professionals in tech and media know quite well, when dealing with Terms of Service, these kinds of changes are reviewed and signed off on by skilled executives and attorneys before they are implemented.

— Intrepid reporter and social media influencer Jack Posobiec didn’t mince words when he posted, “#BankruptPaypal no one is buying their walkback. We know what their plan is. They’re just mad they got caught.”

— “Well, well… looks like PayPal spread misinformation about itself,” Christina Pushaw, campaign spokeswoman for Gov. Ron DeSantis, tweeted. “Maybe they should pay a $2,500 fine to all of us?”

Other furious users had simply closed their accounts and taken to Twitter to share their thoughts.

— Commentator and impactful influencer Candace Owens had tweeted, “Just moved all money I had in my PayPal account out of it. And I very must suggest you do the same. This is serious… #PayPal is dead.”

— Sen. Tim Scott, R – S.C., had posted his desire to investigate the matter.

“Allowing private companies to become thought police would be egregious and illegal overreach,” Sen. Scott tweeted. “My office will be looking into the validity of PayPal’s new policy and taking any necessary action to stop this type of corporate activism.”

It remains to be seen the extent to which PayPal has damaged itself with the attempted curb on freedom of expression and the unconvincing withdrawal.

In any event, the PayPal saga serves as an object lesson for corporations still wishing to dabble in viewpoint discrimination.

A big warning sign now hangs at the entrance to the internet, which reads,

CAUTION: Censor at your own risk.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:37 PM   #2
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Re: Did you PayPal users see this?

Hadn’t seen that Mark. Thanks for sharing. I’m long over due for closing my account.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:55 PM   #3
davischevy

I don't use PP unless there is no alternative.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 10:54 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I use my Visa card here to pay the membership, but it comes back with a PayPal receipt. I'm pretty sure that my attorneys are as good or better than theirs, plus Visa has first crack at denying bad charges, anyway.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 11:08 PM   #5
68bowtie

I have nothing positive to add.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:25 AM   #6
Getter-Done

Thanks for sharing.
I may have to close it down.

I choose not to comment any further.
Because I may be fined.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:04 AM   #7
DANTIP

I went to close my account and this page came up.
Attached Images

DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:17 AM   #8
72c20customcamper

Wonder if they were hacked
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:50 AM   #9
Rickysnickers

Supposedly, the "acceptable use" policy came out by "accident." PP is now saying that they are not "fining" anyone.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 10:09 AM   #10
Grumpy old man

I don't get it ? Does this mean Paypal is watching/ following your social media posts ? How ?

I don't have any
Facebook ? I'm not interested in your vacation pictures , or your babies gender reveal party
Twitter ? Why ?
Instagram ? I don't care what your having for breakfast, lunch or dinner ? And I really don't want to look at someones fat butt pictures ?
Tictok - Don't even ask ?
I really think people should refrain from using any of those type sites , Once you put a picture out there it's there forever ,

Yeah , I know I'm stuck in the 70's , if you found a part you wanted in a magazine , You called the phone number in the ad and then mailed them a check and you would have that part in a few short weeks . Or you drove to the local speed shop and paid cash , Remember that stuff ?

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:14 PM   #11
1976gmc20

Folks on another "alternative" social media site which I probably shouldn't name here have known about it for a while now.

This thread will probably get shut down soon for being too controversial or something
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 04:23 PM   #12
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post

This thread will probably get shut down soon for being too controversial or something
Do you want it shut down?

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 04:37 PM   #13
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
wonder if they were hacked
hmm

Name:  lego.JPG
Views: 253
Size:  64.7 KB

Old 10-17-2022, 05:32 PM   #14
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

PayPal is still going to 1099 you for income tax if you have transactions totaling over $600.
The old limit was $20,000 or 200 transactions.
I picked a bad year to sell all my extra parts,…

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 10-17-2022 at 05:46 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 05:45 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Pay hasn't been my Pal for a while now. I can't remember the last time I used it. I only ever used it for ebay

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:26 PM   #16
kwmech

Something is going on internally with Pay Pal. All of a sudden this morning I'm getting all these e-mails about how my account has limitations and has 'questionable transactions' now, and they want all kinds of new info--photo id, copies of bank account statements, what kind of business I have and what I do. Not doing anything questionable, same stuff for the past 20 years.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:10 PM   #17
dmjlambert

Those types of emails may be from a hacker trying to get you to click on a link to a fake website so they can get your paypal password.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 01:24 AM   #18
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Those types of emails may be from a hacker trying to get you to click on a link to a fake website so they can get your paypal password.
Not these, they came from Pay Pal. I am always on guard with stuff like that. I logged into my account and came up with the same crap. I called them directly and of course got the line with --customer no service-- and was on hold for 40 min. before I hung up
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 05:18 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

You called the "customer buffer line" often mistakenly referred to as "customer service line".

So, you buy an item that was misrepresented, complain to PayPal, and PayPal fines the seller $2,500 for a dishonest description on a $250 sale? And how does this benefit the buyer? I'd say no big deal as long as you deal straight as a seller. But as sellers we can't control what a dishonest buyer will claim was dishonestly described on the item now in their possession

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 10-18-2022, 01:36 PM   #20
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Do you want it shut down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
You called the "customer buffer line" often mistakenly referred to as "customer service line".

So, you buy an item that was misrepresented, complain to PayPal, and PayPal fines the seller $2,500 for a dishonest description on a $250 sale? And how does this benefit the buyer? I'd say no big deal as long as you deal straight as a seller. But as sellers we can't control what a dishonest buyer will claim was dishonestly described on the item now in their possession
I don't think this paypal threat was about misrepresenting merchandise.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 09:06 PM   #21
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
I don't think this paypal threat was about misrepresenting merchandise.
I honestly didn't care enough about any of this to read any further than I quoted below. I only think of PayPal as a financial entity used for online purchasing, so that is the context I took what I read in. Chit chat never came to mind, just buying and selling. The only place there would be any misrepresenting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
When I heard this I was like What? They can fine an individual for something they say and take the money right out of your account? Here is a copy paste article ... Such weird times we are living in. Its a little long, but interesting (in my view).

PayPal is currently in an existential crisis.

The company recently issued an updated “Acceptable Use Policy” (AUP), which was set to go into effect on November 3 of this year.

Among other things, the AUP included a $2,500 fine, which was to be imposed on users of PayPal if said users transmitted speech that the digital financial service company deemed unacceptable.

The type of speech that would have triggered the policy included “the sending, posting, or publication of any messages, content, or materials” that “promote misinformation.”

Debits taken directly from users’ PayPal accounts would have been the means used to collect the hefty fines.

Tim

Old 10-24-2022, 08:47 AM   #22
Dirt's72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
I have nothing positive to add.
Yep
Dirt's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 01:46 PM   #23
truckin 79

Why do these things always spiral out of the internet to invade everyday life because of someone else's agenda and their feeling were hurt. I have used PayPal since the inception no problems with money or disputes in all these years. I average about 200-250 internet transactions a year with PayPal and other sales. I find it ironic PayPal said they would charge people money for saying mean things about them and yet this whole thing against PayPal started because someone (wont/cant say who) felt they were saying mean things against him. FYI for all the people who dropped PayPal and started using Venmo, PayPal owns them as well
Old 10-24-2022, 06:13 PM   #24
68bowtie

Stripe

Parallel Economy