The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #26
no1udknow

Re: 68 c10 2wd in Sacramento, CA

well... it would appear that my progress is about to come to a screeching halt, as I don't have the money for a new drive line or to have mine shortened... DOH!

I'm going to try and get as much other crap done as possible so I can just stick it in (yes... that is what she said).
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #27
jimbosprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1udknow View Post
oh... my bad saclandman, it was jimbo sprints truck I was looking at with the munched passenger bedside.

yah, jimbo sprint, I have a passenger bedside that is in a little better shape than yours, it does have a mild crease through the body line going over the rear wheel. If you want it, I will let you know when I pull it.

I also have a complete drum brake front suspension left over from my 68, it has a bent drivers side steering knuckle and needs bearings, but if someone needs it, they are welcome to it. it has the cross member, a-arms, springs, all steering arms and pitman arm, drums, and brake lines. first come first serve, pick up only not gonna ship it. if not I'll take it to the scrap yard or the c10 recycler guy here in sac.
Definitely let me know about the bed panel when you get to that. I'll be driving through Sac next Thursday - maybe I could come look at it.

Quote:
well... it would appear that my progress is about to come to a screeching halt, as I don't have the money for a new drive line or to have mine shortened... DOH!

I'm going to try and get as much other crap done as possible so I can just stick it in (yes... that is what she said).
You're moving a lot faster than me. I decided to pull the motor and transmission, which means I'll be saving to buy a crate 260hp and all the goodies to put it back together.
jimbosprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #28
Saclandman

Quote:
oh... my bad saclandman, it was jimbo sprints truck I was looking at with the munched passenger bedside.

yah, jimbo sprint, I have a passenger bedside that is in a little better shape than yours, it does have a mild crease through the body line going over the rear wheel. If you want it, I will let you know when I pull it.

I also have a complete drum brake front suspension left over from my 68, it has a bent drivers side steering knuckle and needs bearings, but if someone needs it, they are welcome to it. it has the cross member, a-arms, springs, all steering arms and pitman arm, drums, and brake lines. first come first serve, pick up only not gonna ship it. if not I'll take it to the scrap yard or the c10 recycler guy here in sac.
No problem. I didn't want to correct you on your own build thread. I might be interested in any leftover stuff from your 67 parts truck though. I'm not really missing anything, but you never know.

1967 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside w/283 and 4spdSOLD
2002 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 5.3L SOLD
2015 Chevy Silverado Crew 4X4 5.3L
Saclandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #29
no1udknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosprint View Post
Definitely let me know about the bed panel when you get to that. I'll be driving through Sac next Thursday - maybe I could come look at it.
You're moving a lot faster than me. I decided to pull the motor and transmission, which means I'll be saving to buy a crate 260hp and all the goodies to put it back together.
I will try and get it pulled before then, I just found some broken metal saw horses at work i need to weld together to do the bed shortening, on top of that i have a tractor I'm tearing down in my shop so I'm running out of room.

Furthermore, I'm only moving fast for two reasons, 1.) my boss doesn't want the truck here long, and 2.) I don't want to give my wife enough time to change her mind about how much time and money she is letting me put in to this project . I wan't it to be like ripping off a bandaid, quick and painless
Old 08-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #30
no1udknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saclandman View Post
No problem. I didn't want to correct you on your own build thread. I might be interested in any leftover stuff from your 67 parts truck though. I'm not really missing anything, but you never know.
well, the interior is pretty complete, and it has all the glass, I think the windshield has a crack but that's about it. I'm cutting some pieces out of the cab corners to scab into my damaged cab, and I'm stealing the door panels cause they are the ribbed metal door panels and I like them so much better than cloth or plastic ones. it was a stick shift so it has a raised floor panel that is sitting in the truck. I'll snap some pics of it when I get home tonight. the guy who we got it from was a moron though and cut the rad support to pull the engine because his lift wouldn't go any higher.

edit: I was just looking at your truck thread, you might be interested in the bed floor I have, its metal instead of the wood, it isn't in fantastic shape, but it's workable.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #31
no1udknow

well, I finished the frame. Welded in boxing plates, and ground/smoothed my outside welds. Put a coat of rattle-can-de-noire on the frame (black spray paint). installed the motor, cut the exhaust down and re welded it. plumbed all the brakes except the last line up to the prop valve (which I will finish today). and now I am starting on some of the body issues before I reinstall the body on the frame.

the long tube headers contacted the new a-arms a bit, so I put a jack under the collector flange and heated the pipes a bit till it bent away now there is about 1/2 " clearance.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #32
no1udknow

This is where $h** gets serious... I am trying my hand at body work for the first time. I have done some things with motorcycles, but not cars really...that being said I decided to cut a hole in the side of my truck .

I had a panel outside the door post that had been repaired before and the bondo was so thick, it actually fell off...

so I cut it out

here is the piece I cut out of the 67 parts truck I have at home

Old 08-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #33
no1udknow

I drilled out all of the spot welds in the door jam because I wanted the seam to remain in the door jam.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:45 PM   #34
Saclandman

Nice work. Braver than me so far. If the inner cowl on your parts truck is decent and you don't need any patches from it, I might want it for mine. Mines pretty well rotted.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:15 AM   #35
no1udknow

Quote:
Nice work. Braver than me so far. If the inner cowl on your parts truck is decent and you don't need any patches from it, I might want it for mine. Mines pretty well rotted.
If you want it, you can have the rest of the truck. It is missing the drivers front fender and bedside, and theres a hole in the cab on the passenger. It has pretty bad rot down below but up high its not too bad. The bed is unbolted and has some rot up front like it was parked facing downhill for a long time. The gauges are in tact, no motor or trans. Rear end and front suspension is in tact, and the drum brakes still work. All the glass is in tact. And there is still a seat in it. If you want it you can have it. I'll even deliver it if you can give me like $30-40 for gas. I have a flat bed and a truck.

I have to get rid of it asap. I live in a sub division and the code enforcement cops have allr3ady been by threatening me so if you don't want it it will be gone by the weekend
Old 08-27-2014, 12:36 AM   #36
Saclandman

If I had room for it, I'd take you up on that. I'm in the same boat as you, no space. I had to rent some storage space just so I'd have a place to keep mine. How's the bench seat?

Old 08-27-2014, 12:38 AM   #37
no1udknow

Quote:
If I had room for it, I'd take you up on that. I'm in the same boat as you, no space. I had to rent some storage space just so I'd have a place to keep mine. How's the bench seat?
Eh... so so. I just need to get rid of the thing fast. I don't want a fine for a parts truck.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #38
no1udknow

If you need a part, send me a pic of exactly what you need. If I have to cut it off I will need to do it today. I am taking the truck to the chevy parts guy tomorrow afternoon. I can remove whatever part you need and hold on to it.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #39
jimbosprint

Is the parking brake assembly intact? I could use that. How about the AC controls (if it had AC)?
Old 08-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #40
no1udknow

didn't have ac, and the parking brake s gone, I have wheel chocks keeping it in my driveway. surprisingly the actual brake system still works though
Old 08-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #41
Saclandman

Quote:
If you need a part, send me a pic of exactly what you need. If I have to cut it off I will need to do it today. I am taking the truck to the chevy parts guy tomorrow afternoon. I can remove whatever part you need and hold on to it.
If I was all hot to start welding in patch panels, I'd jump on that. But, thanks for the offer. I don't want to take up your time doing stuff for me when you have your own truck to work on. If I had time, I'd run over and grab what I need myself. Damn full-time job! Don't have time to do any of the real important stuff.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #42
no1udknow

Quote:
If I was all hot to start welding in patch panels, I'd jump on that. But, thanks for the offer. I don't want to take up your time doing stuff for me when you have your own truck to work on. If I had time, I'd run over and grab what I need myself. Damn full-time job! Don't have time to do any of the real important stuff.
I looked at it when I got home last night and Im sure it isnt any better than what youve got. It has rust pushing through the feont where it meets the firewall, I can only immagine what it looks like inside considering the kick panel vents are all rusted out
Old 09-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #43
Roadkill58

no1udknow I have room for that if you still have it.

Roadkill's 69 Custom C20
Roadkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #44
no1udknow

Sorry, the parts truck is gone. I had to uave it gone by this last weekend or I was going to get a fine from the wonderful Galt police department. It worked out though because I took an extra carburetor I had along with me and traded for a one piece drive shaft and some emblems I wanted
Old 09-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #45
Roadkill58

damn missed it

Funny how you have to pay morgage and taxes and someone that doesn't tells you what you can or cannot do.

Roadkill's 69 Custom C20
Roadkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #46
no1udknow

Ok... made some serious headway today. Got the driveli e and new u-joints installed

it's a one piece now... so glad im done with carrier bearings.

then I got the patch panel finished on the passenger side

I will be doing the rest of the body work like bondo and paint at home so I threw some rattle can on the bare metal to keep it from rusting after I ground it down.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #47
no1udknow

My welds arwnt perfect, but this is my first attempt at bodywork so I am satisfied. I'm sure I will get better with practice.

Now that the patch is done, I need to put the truck back together so I can take it home. My boss wants me to get it out of the shop. So this is how I transport my cab around... a trailer and a golf cart

I got the cab installed, after shortening the frame, everything still lined up perfect.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #48
no1udknow

I started getting a few things hooked up and the new brake system installed. I have seen guys say they had to use special brackets for the booster, I drilled some new holes for the top bolts, and trimmed the bracket at the bottom to clear the steering column bracket. The only ossue I have so far is the shifter arm on the column hitting the booster but I will work that out.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #49
no1udknow

wanted to do a quick run down of the cost thus far,

$1000 for the truck that I traded for this truck :-)
$ free new front suspension and disc brake system
$ 60 new tires and an extra set of rims
$ 40 cpp 6 lug rotors
$ free drive line
$ 30 u-joints
$ 20 exhaust gaskets
$ free bedside, fender, and cab patch
$ 20 brake line and adapter
$ 35 title transfer
My dad always tried to convince me HEI was pointless!
Welding is a lot like sex, you don't have to be great with the rod as long as you thoroughly prep the surface and your good at grinding
Old 09-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #50
jimbosprint

Wow! Way to get it done on a budget!