The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #1
Metaldoc

Cab fuel filler to rear tank

Has anyone done an original looking cab mounted filler to a rear fuel.
Metaldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:43 PM   #2
notsolo

Re: Cab fuel filler to rear tank

I think most have tried to stay away from Blazer type fuel fill. Not wanting to cut into a bedside but going for a hidden fuel filler. I used an 1 1/2" boat fuel fill in my blazer, trying to keep a smooth bedside but also use the original hole. If you have an 1 1/2 inlet into your tank it's not a bad option......http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=439895
Attached Images

notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:15 PM   #3
Metaldoc

I'm talking about the existing filler hole in the cab. Running new filler tube to reach rear tank
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #4
FL71C10

Drewskiren did something along those lines on his crew cab build. Here's a link to one page of it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...t=tank&page=80
Old 12-29-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
cdowns

I doubt you could get it to accept the fuel and why bother movin the tank to the back if your going to have the fuel up your a$$
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
notsolo

Robert Duvall "Days of Thunder" I'm gonna give you a fuel line that'll hold an extra gallon of gas.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:33 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Sounds like a bad idea all around. Seems like a great way to accumulate condensation to feed the ethanol, a mile of filler that could leak, need to account for body to frame as well as cab to bed and bed to frame movement. And if you go through the floor, how much fall can there be to way back at the fuel tank. If you've ever had a square body or newer truck you know how onry they can be to fill sometimes, due to the path not being so direct. Maybe it's just diesel in the cold, but nothing sucks like standing in the cld blowing wind with a pocket full of gas money, a job to get to, and the truck will only let you dribble the fuel in while hand freezes because it won't let you set the trip lever

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Metaldoc

My bed will be raised 2 inches so lots of slope. I just like the original look on the outside of this truck and won't be painting it. This truck will never see winter. I have no side markers, don't like bed fillers, too low for license plate ( I'm to old to bend over). So I'm undecided.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #9
FL71C10

Rear taillight fill?
Old 01-04-2016, 05:07 AM   #10
swamp rat

About 4 years ago or so there was a build that the guy was trying to make that happen, he had drilled a hole in the cab and had mocked up a long length of PVC pipe about 2" diameter from the cab back to the tank. I have not found or read any completion to the guys mock up, cant recall his handle or the build name, he did say the PVC was going to be replaces with different tubing, i would assume something like exhaust pipe..

I did find this in a search, not much help..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...fill+tube+pipe

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:27 PM   #11
Metaldoc

This is what I came up with and built.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #12
In The Ten Ring

Well, there you have it. It can be done.

I'd like to one day move my tank to the rear and use the side marker light (stepside) to hide a the filler cap. I am crazy about "just in case" tools so I'd really like to free up that space behind the seat.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:18 PM   #13
Metaldoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Well, there you have it. It can be done.

I'd like to one day move my tank to the rear and use the side marker light (stepside) to hide a the filler cap. I am crazy about "just in case" tools so I'd really like to free up that space behind the seat.
If I had side markers, that's what I would have done. But then again I like to be different and challenge myself. Plus it looks original.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:27 PM   #14
SS Tim

Its not a matter of "if" it can be done. After all countless IHC pickups like my 75 used a filler tube through the cab leading down to the passenger side tank that ran under the cab and bed. The driver's side (aux tank) has a filler in the front fender.

I am in agreement with SpecialK that this may introduce more problems than it solves. At a minimum I feel it needs a float valve at the tank inlet and beads in the tubes to allow a more positive clamping of the hose joints.

Last edited by SS Tim; 05-08-2016 at 09:33 PM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:25 AM   #15
Metaldoc

Just an up date on this, I've put over 1000 miles on it with several top ups. I hold the gas nozzle at 3/4 to full and the gas flows in well. I've had people ask if it had the original tank because of the fill local. It has worked out great.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:09 PM   #16
LongBox

Great that you did this, as that's exactly what you wanted. My own approach would have been to go to the Blazer tank, modified to use a Camaro style filler located behind a hinged rear plate. To keep the original look, I'd have left the original filler on the cab, and welded the tube closed, to prevent any idiot from pumping the cab full of hi-test!

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #17
Metaldoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBox View Post
Great that you did this, as that's exactly what you wanted. My own approach would have been to go to the Blazer tank, modified to use a Camaro style filler located behind a hinged rear plate. To keep the original look, I'd have left the original filler on the cab, and welded the tube closed, to prevent any idiot from pumping the cab full of hi-test!
Having the filler neck behind the looks great but it's too low to the ground for this old guy.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:32 AM   #18
LongBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaldoc View Post
Having the filler neck behind the looks great but it's too low to the ground for this old guy.
Yeah, I know what that feels like

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #19
Tiger Joe

what was the point of moving the tank?

seems like a bunch of extra work when you could have just left the tank where it was behind the seat
Tiger Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #20
Shinysideup

/\ what Joe said!
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #21
Metaldoc

17 gallon to 22 galloon, weight on the rear axle for control, no more gas tank in the cab, more storage behind the seat for stuff and speakers, no filler in the box to spill gas in the box, easy fill local. Yes it was a lot of work but I'm like custom touches. I have the best fabricator working on my stuff and I trust him with my life. Why be normal or grow up if you don't have to. I have one off fabbed parts and touches all over the truck, this is just one of my great ideas I think. No one else has this but me.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #22
Tiger Joe

I'm sorry man. I'm all for custom, but I think this is just dumb.

moving the tank for more capacity- ok great idea.

running filler in stock location- you still have gas in the cab. not the tank, but you still have the potential for gas to leak inside the cab so any safety you gain by moving the tank is gone.

weight for control? its 30 lbs and you have the stock engine from what I saw so you aren't drag racing so this 30 lbs is totally irrelivant.
Tiger Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:10 PM   #23
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Joe View Post
I'm sorry man. I'm all for custom, but I think this is just dumb.

moving the tank for more capacity- ok great idea.

running filler in stock location- you still have gas in the cab. not the tank, but you still have the potential for gas to leak inside the cab so any safety you gain by moving the tank is gone.

weight for control? its 30 lbs and you have the stock engine from what I saw so you aren't drag racing so this 30 lbs is totally irrelivant.
First, I think you could've chosen better words. Calling someone's work dumb isn't conducive to conversation. Not trying to start a flame war, just sayin there's better ways to say you don't agree or wouldn't do it yourself.

A gallon of gasoline is roughly 6lbs so Metaldoc did add 30lbs. But he moved over 120lbs towards the rear of the truck, not just 30lbs. Doesn't matter what you're doing, moving weight to the rear on a nose heavy truck is a win in my opinion.

As far as safety. Yeah there's still at least the potential for fuel in the cab with this setup. All the parts inside the cab are solid with no rubber joints so leaks inside the cab while filling aren't really an issue unless there's a bad weld. Biggest issue is with being rear ended. If he was hit hard enough to crush the tank and push fuel up the filler it's likely the tank would be punctured as well reducing how much fuel is forced forward. Then there's the 2 couplings outside the cab which could come apart before fuel was forced into the cab. It's not 100% but either of those could happen reducing or eliminating fuel even coming back into the cab at all. Plus the parts inside the cab are solid welded so they'd have to break open before fuel any fuel that was forced forward could leak into the cab.

If you're not comfy with those odds nobody will blame you for going with something different. We all make choices with our trucks based on tastes, skill level, etc. In my opinion there's no reason to call this unsafe, not worth the effort and it especially can't be called dumb.

Last edited by Overdriven; 12-16-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:45 PM   #24
Metaldoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
First, I think you could've chosen better words. Calling someone's work dumb isn't conducive to conversation. Not trying to start a flame war, just sayin there's better ways to say you don't agree or wouldn't do it yourself.

A gallon of gasoline is roughly 6lbs so Metaldoc did add 30lbs. But he moved over 120lbs towards the rear of the truck, not just 30lbs. Doesn't matter what you're doing, moving weight to the rear on a nose heavy truck is a win in my opinion.

As far as safety. Yeah there's still at least the potential for fuel in the cab with this setup. All the parts inside the cab are solid with no rubber joints so leaks inside the cab while filling aren't really an issue unless there's a bad weld. Biggest issue is with being rear ended. If he was hit hard enough to crush the tank and push fuel up the filler it's likely the tank would be punctured as well reducing how much fuel is forced forward. Then there's the 2 couplings outside the cab which could come apart before fuel was forced into the cab. It's not 100% but either of those could happen reducing or eliminating fuel even coming back into the cab at all. Plus the parts inside the cab are solid welded so they'd have to break open before fuel any fuel that was forced forward could leak into the cab.

If you're not comfy with those odds nobody will blame you for going with something different. We all make choices with our trucks based on tastes, skill level, etc. In my opinion there's no reason to call this unsafe, not worth the effort and it especially can't be called dumb.
100 % right and I'm a certified welder. I have all position welding tickets for mild steel, stainless, Inconel, chromoly, zirconium, cast iron, hard facing. I do trust me. The fill tube is bolted to the frame in case of rear ended.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:47 PM   #25
GR8-68

What is the problem with this ? I say it is no different than some of the other custom mods people have tried. I say great job! ! 😆 As far as the dumb comment i believe it says on the rules of this forum if you don't like it keep your comments to yourself. What an ignorant thing to say.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote