The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2020, 07:21 PM   #1
03BlkZ

My build thread 70 C10

This past December my dad and I began work on his 70 C10 that he bought new back in 70. He daily drove this truck for almost 30 years and the parked it inside his shop for almost 20 years. A couple of years ago I tried to buy it from him but he didnt want to let it go since he was about to retire from a 40+ year career in auto body and paint and he had plans to work on it. Well fast forward a couple of years and the truck was still untouched. I decided I would handle the monetary investment if we could work on it together. The plan was for us to fix it up and he is going to keep it and enjoy it until that day comes then it will come to me. However he went ahead and gave it to me bit I plan to let him keep it at their house for him to enjoy. Anyway in December I went and pulled it out of his shop and cleaned the shop so we have room to work. We started by pulling the bed so he could start work there and I could work om the rear end and frame. I went ahead and went thru the rear end and freshened it up, replaced all bushings and hardware in the trailing arms, replaced the shocks and springs, brake lines and emergency brake cables. I decoded to keep the rear drum brakes but will be disc in the front. I wire wheeled everything really good and applied two coats of chassis saver paint. Looks really good. All the while dad was repairing rust and doing other work on the bed. We needed a new tailgate and passenger front fender so we picked those uo from Southwest Classics in Arlington TX. Great place to shop! Next I removed the fenders and hood to prep to get the engine removed. The engine has been rebuilt once before and has been bored .030 so I am not sure what I will do yet as far as the motor goes. The transmission will get rebuilt. It is a 3 on the tree and I intend to keep it that way. This is the first vehicle I ever drove and learned to drive into this baby. Engine then came out and I started to disassemble the front end. I replaced the front shocks, upper and lower control arm shafts, springs and all new hardware up front. We pilainted the rest of the frame with the chassis saver paint also after cleaning with a wire wheel. I also bought a CPP disc brake kit for the front as well as brake lines, booster, master cylinder and proportioning valve. The brake kit went on flawlessly and it also contained upper and lower ball joints and inner and outer tie rod ends. I plan to rebuild the steering box if I can find parts or maybe just replace it if not. I am keeping manual steering. I went ahead and did a test fit of the booster and all components including brake lines to make sure everything fit properly. Next got the interior all removed except for the dash and steering column. I took all the compontent s out of the doorsand will need to replace everything except the glass. That's essentially where we are right now. Dad finished the body work on the bed and driver fender so he primed them for now. The truck will be repainted huggar orange but only have a with top. We decided to get rid of the lower trim . I will contonie to update this thread as I go once this damn corona virus hopefully passes. Sorry for the lengthy post. Now on to the pics.
Attached Images

03BlkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #2
03BlkZ

Re: My build thread 70 C10

More pics
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2020, 07:28 PM   #3
69Tom

Very cool truck. Even cooler your dad has owned it the whole time. Look forward to the progress.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:28 PM   #4
03BlkZ

And some more
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2020, 12:20 AM   #5
Husker

Nice looking truck. Good work also.
Ron
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
Thomas Jefferson
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:33 AM   #6
rechinca

Dang nice truck, great story, can't wait to see it finished!
Old 04-04-2020, 07:22 AM   #7
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rechinca View Post
Dang nice truck, great story, can't wait to see it finished!
Thanks! We were progressing quicker than I expected but now the virus has stopped me. Hopefully it passes soon and we can get back to work.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:28 AM   #8
yuccales

That's a great post. Good on you for keeping that 3 speed. Looking forward to more pics as the truck progresses.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #9
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I like it, it's looking great. The only thing I would have done different would be keeping the lower trim. Keep on posting updates.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:36 PM   #10
03BlkZ

So it has been a while since I updated this thread. Sorry about that. The truck is in the process of being pained the original color. Hugger orange and white. The bed and cab are complete and my painter is on vacation. When he gets back he will paint the hood, doors and fenders. I had the engine rebuilt by a local engine shop and it is now back and ready to install. The engine has all new internals and a mild cam. I'm not looking for crazy high performance. Just a little sound. I went ahead and mounted the new clutch and put the transmission on the engine and will install it as an assembly. The mo th of October was an expensive month. I bought all the interior parts that I needed including internal door components. I sent the original AM radio to a guy in Florida that rebuilds them to include Bluetooth and USB ports but remain original looking. Pretty sweet. So far all I have done since getting the cab back from paint is put the firewall insulation in, the interior and under hood heater boxes and have now started to install the new wire harness. That is going to take some time. I did disassemble, clean up and replaced all seals and cables I. The heater box as well as the heater core and blower fan. Thats about it for now. Here are some pics. You can see the paint spray out compared to the buffed spot on the original tailgate and as far as the bed goes we are going to do a bed liner. That's why its not painted. Enjoy!
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2020, 09:38 PM   #11
03BlkZ

More pics
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2020, 09:39 PM   #12
03BlkZ

Few more
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2020, 09:51 PM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BlkZ View Post
Few more
Looks good! You will be on the road before you know it.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #14
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Looking good.

Dale