The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2021, 02:44 PM   #651
roll_the_dice

Re: 1965 LWB Stepside Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
My Vote...Skinny Ring
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66C10LB View Post
I'd say the thin beauty ring would look good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
My vote is for the thinner ones as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Narrower Van ralley's look best w/the 'skinny' trim rings.

I use the skinny (OE 88-98 trim ring depth) trim rings on all steel wheels regardless of width. This allows showing the depth variance on the 'bigs & littles' w/o hiding the look of the wheel. YOMV....

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and opinions...I agree...thin for the win! Looks like the 88-98 trim rings are 1 3/4". My wheels are 15x7. So I think this would look good...
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:53 PM   #652
roll_the_dice

Next up is the height of the spare tire on the drivers side...I mocked up a wheel with wood for support and took some pictures...Thoughts on mounting height? No idea of mount height of OEM without a fender cutout. I know fender cutout spare tires were hung higher than any of my pictures.

The first picture is sitting on the step, but in actuality, it would not rest on the step...so an inch higher than this. The 2nd picture is 4 1/2" off the deck and the last picture is 6" off the deck.

Thoughts? I don't think I like it super close to the deck, but have no opinion on the last 2 pictures...I could go higher also...I have plenty of wood to mock it up.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2021, 04:16 PM   #653
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Narrower Van ralley's look best w/the 'skinny' trim rings.

I use the skinny (OE 88-98 trim ring depth) trim rings on all steel wheels regardless of width. This allows showing the depth variance on the 'bigs & littles' w/o hiding the look of the wheel. YOMV....
I just found some NOS 88-98 rings and bought them. They are 1 3/4" depth...I think this will be perfect!
Old 03-12-2021, 05:43 PM   #654
The Rocknrod

Well, I don't like it on the step.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:26 AM   #655
66C10LB

Seems that higher looks better for the spare tire.
66C10LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:07 PM   #656
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Well, I don't like it on the step.
+1 Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66C10LB View Post
Seems that higher looks better for the spare tire.
I may go a little higher still...waiting on my bolts to come in to weld to the hanger then I will hang it and go from there.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #657
roll_the_dice

OK...vent/saga time FiTech EFI (SUCKS)--this may be long

For those that have Fitech I hope you have better luck than I have.

I bought my engine as a package with manual T56 Tremec trans and FiTech EFI in mid 2017. As builds go, by the time I got the engine installed, the Fitech was out of warranty. Got my truck back on the road in November of 2020. Took the truck to a restoration shop for exhaust and to charge my A/C. They are a certified FiTech dealer...that is why I chose them. I also wanted them to fine tune the FiTech. They can't tune the FiTech correctly...they had the truck for over 2 months. They finally call me and say it is ready and running good...the day before Thanksgiving...truck died on my way home at about 7PM and I had to have it towed home! (the restoration shop is a whole different ball of wax for another day).

I reloaded the FiTech to factory defaults on Thanksgiving it starts but runs like crap. Talk to FiTech on Monday, they have me tweak a few things...not much better...I do a lot of research and trial and error and get it to run, but according to FiTech IAC should be between 3-10...mine is 0-4..no big deal really except I set idle at 780 and it won't idle below 850 or so with idle screws backed out with no pressure on butterflies. Cold start, the whole point of EFi is a joke...will not crank without throttle and won't stay cranked until engine gets over 100 degrees. Fitech has no clue about customer service nor do they care. They have told me it sounds like a blown head gasket (it's not), vacuum leaks (nope), etc etc...anything but a faulty product. I know it is out of warranty and was willing to pay them to fix it, but they won't even offer that and when I suggested it, they ignore me.

I have had to reload software at least a dozen times just to get it cranked in my driveway...something dies and won't restart...no rhyme or reason.

Truck dies on me a few weeks ago had to tow it home with a tow strap luckily I was only a mile from home. The truck has just died driving down the road at least 3 times...sometimes it will restart sometimes it won't.

Occasionally, I can get IAC set correctly (like yesterday) between 4-6...get in today to go out, still have cold start issues and IAC today was at 130 at engine warm!

I have emailed fitech a few times a week every week since November. They have now stopped responding to all communication...won't return a call or email....they really have no clue.

I have talked to Holley about their Sniper, but I am gun shy. I may go to a carb and call it a day...tuck my tail between my legs and go old school.

I am not doing the story justice...Fitech just out and out sucks....mine at least sucks and does not work as advertised. Lesson learned I guess...don't buy the hi-tech gadget until I am ready to install...1 year warranty is great if you put it on and run it day 1...but at this point I am not even sure they would uphold their warranty either. How do you ignore a customer completely?

Last edited by roll_the_dice; 03-15-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:39 PM   #658
cwcarpenter98

When I first started reading your thread, I was hoping for a successful result with the EFI. You're not the only board member that has had issues with Fitech. Jhrusk had Fitech on his 66, but could not get it running right either.

I don't think I'll put efi on my truck. The Quadrajet works great for me and the electric choke helps alot with cold start driveability

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:44 PM   #659
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
When I first started reading your thread, I was hoping for a successful result with the EFI. You're not the only board member that has had issues with Fitech. Jhrusk had Fitech on his 66, but could not get it running right either.

I don't think I'll put efi on my truck. The Quadrajet works great for me and the electric choke helps alot with cold start driveability
I was hoping for a success story as well...I have been holding off posting anything negative, but enough is enough.

The only bright side is I now know a lot about FiTech LOL. Plus if it dies, I can get it back running by resetting factory defaults, then reloading my saved settings. FiTech has taken the joy out of driving the truck...The ONE thing I bought to make life easier has made it worse...Thanks FiTech!
Old 03-15-2021, 01:45 PM   #660
SkinnyG

I've done Megasquirt on a few vehicles, but nothing with FiTech. I have also hacked an older GM TBI computer with good success (re-programmed a stock 5.0L computer to feed a cam/header/big-bore-tbi/higher-fuel-pressure 350).

In Megasquirt (and I'm sure others), all your tables are based off AFR numbers you pull out of your butt, which could work if your engine actually likes 14.7:1 for cruise. Or, if your W/B-O2 is even reading correctly.

If you can tune a carb, you can probably tune EFI, but it really depends on what the ECU lets you mess with and/or how user-friendly it is.

Cold start is the hardest to tune, because you only get one shot each day.

But - I have heard lots of negative about FiTech.

Would you be willing to PM me your various tables and settings? I have no experience with FiTech, but I might be some help. Maybe. Free, anyway.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:00 PM   #661
SkinnyG

I'm googling this - it's all off a handheld? That sucks.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:14 PM   #662
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
I've done Megasquirt on a few vehicles, but nothing with FiTech. I have also hacked an older GM TBI computer with good success (re-programmed a stock 5.0L computer to feed a cam/header/big-bore-tbi/higher-fuel-pressure 350).

In Megasquirt (and I'm sure others), all your tables are based off AFR numbers you pull out of your butt, which could work if your engine actually likes 14.7:1 for cruise. Or, if your W/B-O2 is even reading correctly.

If you can tune a carb, you can probably tune EFI, but it really depends on what the ECU lets you mess with and/or how user-friendly it is.

Cold start is the hardest to tune, because you only get one shot each day.

But - I have heard lots of negative about FiTech.

Would you be willing to PM me your various tables and settings? I have no experience with FiTech, but I might be some help. Maybe. Free, anyway.
Quote:
I have had more luck with changing around the AFR #'s than just about anything. My idle AFR is currently set at 14.2 default is 13.6 which is way too rich IMO.

I will take any help I can get...no harm in trying almost anything at this point! Will send you a PM. Thanks
Old 03-15-2021, 09:20 PM   #663
Johns 66

Well....Im so disappointed in Fi-tech...As we have discussed several times they are a poor company...get your money and screw you dude. Se very sad that there are way too many vendors who screw folks over and not really alot you can do unless you show up to their business in person...which nowadays is probably non existent.

So sorry my friend.
2019 GMC AT4
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:26 PM   #664
shsahs

Quote:
Its adjustable off the hand held but that is not the only way. You may also use the included software on your desktop or laptop. Here is a screenshot of the software on my laptop.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:24 PM   #665
roll_the_dice

OK as I try to get the truck running better with FiTech or something else, no time to slow down. I will keep the Fitech info coming good or bad.

So as stated on the previous page I am putting my spare tire hanger on my truck. I have never welded before even though I own a small mig welder...but that all changed this past week. I got the welder up and running and practiced a little. I prepped the spare tire hanger by cutting off the 2 bottom studs for a 6 lug carrier...and flushed the area with my angle grinder. Then I measured and drilled two holes on the hanger...attached the spare tire and welded on a 7/16x20 bolt through the back side. Not the prettiest welds in the world, but I can live with it. They do their job of holding the spare tire on in the correct position. Now I just need to mock up the carrier on the truck then sand blast and paint...I put primer on it this morning so the bare metal wouldn't flash rust.

I think I decided to go as high as I can and use the top rail to help with support.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2021, 08:24 PM   #666
roll_the_dice

Got the spare tire hung today (temporarily). I need to clean it up and paint it, but mounted it to make sure I measured everything correctly. Tight fit...spare tire is 265/70/15 and I could not fit a wider tire on there...

Looks totally odd on there to me, but I do like it a lot! Eventually I want to get a rally wheel for the spare instead of just the steel wheel. Waiting on my beauty rings to come in, then I will be set!
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2021, 08:16 AM   #667
350TacoZilla

Spare looks good on there. Don't worry about your welding man, it looks great for a first attempt and you only get better with practice.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #668
The Rocknrod

Oh ya, I like that much better.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:15 PM   #669
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
Spare looks good on there. Don't worry about your welding man, it looks great for a first attempt and you only get better with practice.
Thanks! Can only get better and the more practice I get the better I will get!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Oh ya, I like that much better.
Thanks, I like it up higher as well...I figured the hanger had holes in the top for a reason...so all the way up it went!
Old 03-17-2021, 10:17 PM   #670
roll_the_dice

I am thinking of doing these wheels...not sure though...I can't ever make my mind up about wheels...no matter what vehicle I have.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2021, 06:00 PM   #671
350TacoZilla

It's your truck so personal preference rules, but for me you can't go wrong with your rally's.
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:02 PM   #672
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
It's your truck so personal preference rules, but for me you can't go wrong with your rally's.
I agree on all fronts! If I didn't hav rally's it would be a no brainer, but the rallys are classic. I don't really like the steel wheel for the spare. I may buy one of these US Wheels for the spare to see how I like it. For $70 each, it's hard to beat.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:14 AM   #673
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
I am thinking of doing these wheels...not sure though...I can't ever make my mind up about wheels...no matter what vehicle I have.
I really like rally's but alot of people have them. So going with something like these, i would do, but i would also go bigger. That seems to be the hardest thing to do with Rally's is go bigger, meaning 20's. I like to be a bit different, drive down the same road as everyone, just not on the same side.... lol
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:34 AM   #674
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
I really like rally's but alot of people have them. So going with something like these, i would do, but i would also go bigger. That seems to be the hardest thing to do with Rally's is go bigger, meaning 20's. I like to be a bit different, drive down the same road as everyone, just not on the same side.... lol
I think you hit it on the head...I see rally wheels all the time. I like to be different. The only promise I made my wife with wheels is if I swapped I would keep 15's since my tires are practically new otherwise I would put bigger wheels on.

If I did these wheels, I would paint them graphite gray (most likely) or matte black with a thin beauty ring and bullet push through cap similar to this...
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #675
88Stanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
I think you hit it on the head...I see rally wheels all the time. I like to be different. The only promise I made my wife with wheels is if I swapped I would keep 15's since my tires are practically new otherwise I would put bigger wheels on.

If I did these wheels, I would paint them graphite gray (most likely) or matte black with a thin beauty ring and bullet push through cap similar to this...
There ya GO! Love that idea! its just enough of different to be different. lol
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote