The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
Jraeyre

New old chevy owner

I have just entered the wonderful World of heavy steel and have enjoyed reading many threads on this site. I am the proud owner of a 1971 C30 dually dump and am letting my mechanic do the initial pass inspection/roadworthy work.

I am looking forward to rebuilding this truck to it's prime and using it for work and fun.

This truck was a "fix to use it today" truck for years when we bought it and I am woefully unfamiliar with sourcing what I need as my previous job required more dependable with warranty wheels.

My Mechanic called yesterday with news on "Blue". He says he needs a steering column (it's loose) and a heater box. I know there are after market sources, but I wondered what was the best way (not necessarily cheapest as I plan to keep this truck forever) and what is a good source.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Jra
Jraeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
dan42

Re: New old chevy owner

Welcome and congrats on your purchase. For a steering box you can usually order that at a good parts store, you may want to consider installing power steering while if you don't already have it (they will likely want the core as well). Lots of good sources for parts from companies that advertise on this site. Good luck and post some pictures!
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Hawghauler

You may want to raid some wrecking yards. You'll get the best prices, and usually better oem materials. The steering box is interchangeable with many newer trucks, and the newer ones have a quicker turn ratio. Buy the power steering setup complete for best results.

Make sure to look through the threads on specific changes, there is a wealth of information on this site.

Steering columns can come from our years of trucks, and in many cases from vans as well. I highly recommend finding a tilt column.

Part of the beauty of these trucks, is the simplicity of their construction. Don't be afraid of trying some repairs on your own. The expense of a mechanic can spoil the value of some upgrades that you may find easy enough to do yourself.

Likewise if you have questions, there is no better place to ask than here. These guys know these trucks inside and out! And they are happy to share their knowledge.

Good luck,
Curtis

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jraeyre View Post
I have just entered the wonderful World of heavy steel and have enjoyed reading many threads on this site. I am the proud owner of a 1971 C30 dually dump and am letting my mechanic do the initial pass inspection/roadworthy work.

I am looking forward to rebuilding this truck to it's prime and using it for work and fun.

This truck was a "fix to use it today" truck for years when we bought it and I am woefully unfamiliar with sourcing what I need as my previous job required more dependable with warranty wheels.

My Mechanic called yesterday with news on "Blue". He says he needs a steering column (it's loose) and a heater box. I know there are after market sources, but I wondered what was the best way (not necessarily cheapest as I plan to keep this truck forever) and what is a good source.

Jra

The steering column from any '68-'72 Chevy or GMC pickup will work on your '71. If it's just the upper & lower bearings in the column they may be available from NAPA or one of the automotive chain stores in your area.

The steering box from the same '68-'72 will fit your truck just fine.(not 4 wheel drive) If your truck doesn't have it, power steering is a nice upgrade, as mentioned above.

Welcome to the board!!

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Jraeyre

Quote:

Jra
I hope this works to post pics. We also have a 2005 Duramax for a parts runner.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
cool68

congrats - looks in good condition - column likely just needs bearings - so, when are you going to put slam it to the ground and put big aftermarket wheels on it - Ha?
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Jraeyre

<<The steering column from any '68-'72 Chevy or GMC pickup will work on your '71. If it's just the upper & lower bearings in the column they may be available from NAPA or one of the automotive chain stores in your area.>>

How hard is that bearing replacement?? My mechanic says the steering column is not an inspection issue so I would like to get the truck home. I do all mechanic work on machinery on the farm except hydraulic pump and engine rebuilds. Is this a large project??

Jra
Old 12-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
gvw5400

Welcome! You have a sweet C/30 dump. Most work trucks look like they had their heart kicked out of them. Is the grill on your truck off a 1969? Have fun building this into YOUR truck! All the best, Dirk
gvw5400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
Jraeyre

I don't know. Can you tell me??
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Since you asked, the 71/72 trucks had the eggcrate style grille with the bowtie in the grille. The 69/70 trucks had the grille you have now with the bowtie on the hood. I don't see a hood bowtie or holes, someone probably dinged up the original grille and replaced it with a 69/70.

GREAT looking truck, especially for NY. I grew up south of Buffalo in the 90's and even then the 67-72 work trucks I saw were all rotten.

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
Jraeyre

Since the VIN says it's a 1971, I'm going to guess the grill was a swap. This truck has had pan work and I'm sure other body work in it's day. It just got done with 4 years of building a house yard work and I am re-purposing as my 1,500 mile per year ride. I expect it will get work use with the dump, but it has now retired to my place.

Jra
Old 12-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
hamjet

that looks to be an original grill too.( not a repop) Boy, for NY that IS a nice looking truck. Welcome !!!
Old 12-28-2013, 12:16 AM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
<<The steering column from any '68-'72 Chevy or GMC pickup will work on your '71. If it's just the upper & lower bearings in the column they may be available from NAPA or one of the automotive chain stores in your area.>>

How hard is that bearing replacement?? My mechanic says the steering column is not an inspection issue so I would like to get the truck home. I do all mechanic work on machinery on the farm except hydraulic pump and engine rebuilds. Is this a large project??

Jra
Upper one you have to pull the steering wheel and lift up the horn contact/cancel cam. It is pretty straight forward. The lower one take the rag joint apart and move the shaft to the side. If you can't pull it to the side far enough you will have to drop the steering box down. Then remove the bolt in the shaft up by the rubber boot. (you have to take it all the way out) After you have that out remove the intermediate shaft, spring, and large washer. (remember how they go on the shaft) You should be able to pull the lower bearing out. You may have to pry on it with a small screwdriver.

Read this thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471499

In post #5 there is an arrow pointing to the lower bearing assembly.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 12-28-2013 at 12:29 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #14
Jraeyre

After 6 months at the mechanics I chose to rescue it and bring it home to work on. He did get the lights to pass inspection and told my wife he couldn't believe I was planning to drive this on the road.

Okay, so now it is in my shop and we did a full inspection. Already has power steering, steering box leak some fluid, brake master has a front leak and the booster has a vacuum leak. My dad went through and did a full fluid check and fluids look good, minor leaks, but sound in general.

Now, my dad could not find a check plug on the back of the rear differential so he went to the front and found a hex head. He loosened it and pulled it out and at that point realized it was a stud and not a plug. It is about 3 inches long and has a steel pad on the end that looks to press against something. He put it back and looked harder and found the check plug. I now have oil leaking from the front of the differential.

How bad is this??

This truck appears to have suffered from use neglect, but I plan to keep it and want to get it back to driving condition. It has lots of little problems that I can't wait to work on.

Jra
Old 05-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #15
Jraeyre

Okay, from another differential thread it appears the bolt my dad removed was a "load adjustment screw". So, now, what does it do and how bad is this mistake??

jra
Old 05-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #16
Jraeyre

Okay, just to be clear, it appears the oil is dripping down onto the pinion seal area from the lift cylinder. I will add that to the list of needs work.

I would still like to know what the load screw does in the differential.

Jra