The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2023, 05:46 PM   #651
57FleetsideC4

Re: Project: Tow-Rat (Lil' Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
sure!

so i first went for doing the lower horizontal window felts last ... but found out they need messed with early.

my plan of action for the passenger door now having only assembled one ever ... i didn't even stay at a holiday inn express last night.

- install window crank mech
- hold the outer window channel and felt strips in place, trim felt/backing even with edge of the window channel so it's not behind/in it.
- install window felts, cuss as needed
- throw the main glass in the door, let it rest down inside the door out of the back channel and all way to the rear of the door.
- partially install the vent window. i missed needing to get the tab in the slot to start with, 3 of my holes didn't line up but easy enough to drill a new hole for a screws.
- form and fit the outer window channel to the door/vent frame, then leave the top hanging out of the door ... mine is tight but missing the lower clip that rusted off. i'll put a few RTV dots behind it if it starts to slip down with the window.
- unbolt the vent window and let it hang with the bottom of the track in the door pushed forward some.
- lift the glass up into the outer channel and the vent channel and bring it up thru the felts. fingernails only holding it on the trim worked to push it up for me, a ducttape handle might be safer. lots of space due to the window shape, but you can push the vent back into place as it comes up if you tipped it way in.
- slip lower window slider bracket thingy onto the crank mech (holes are more forward) set the glass on it and bolt to the glass
- bolt the vent assembly in place
- re-fit the outer channel rolling up the window to hold all that in place nice and final finagling
- fit window surround trim
- install latch bar/crank
- install door trim panel and crank handles

it's almost entirely 1/4-20 x 1/2" screws. i have little stainless button heads, and countersunk for the panel. i think it was #10x1/2" countersunk for the trim, much smaller for the 4 on the vent window.
Thank You very much. That will be helpful when I come to that part of my project. Steve
Old 12-15-2023, 09:09 AM   #652
6DoF

wife helped me last night, there was definitely a learning curve to the windshield install. still only took us about 30min, and afterwards she said we'd be way faster the next time. even offered to help other ppl if she got paid

only thing i broke was when i knee'd the flasher button on the new column ... little jerk broke off inside

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 10:00 AM   #653
regan wilson

Glad to see you back at it. I was hoping you weren't going to leave us hanging. The truck is looking good.
Old 12-15-2023, 10:50 AM   #654
dsraven

nice. you guys could open your own "old car windshield shop" and make a killing. most glass shops don't wanna attempt an install on anything that doesn't glue in.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 09:07 AM   #655
6DoF

still haven't gotten back to the rear gears, but i got the turbo angle adapter all burnt in! i enjoyed the crap out of building that. welded and welded again to get the exterior corner radius on the plate, then internally ported back to smooth again.

50deg, T4 to T3, as compact as possible.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:56 AM   #656
6DoF

if someone ever asks you to help them install the windshield on a truck with the gasket vs glue-in ... do it, it's a cool process and pretty satisfying. plus it's a 2 man job, help a dude.

if someone asks you to help them with the rear window on a truck with the gasket style and the locking strip ... you punch them in the face and walk away. what an epic process of hateful things! the seal is missing a chuck where the lock strip goes, so it's extra floppy and unstable to get the glass into the basic opening. then the lock seal needs tucked into the groove under both edges, but the gasket is all over the place without it. the corners are especially hateful where it's all collapsing. took me 2 nights cuz the first night i had to take a break to throw stuff around the shop and start over last night

but it's in! it's clean, it works, it's good to go!

Old 12-20-2023, 11:20 AM   #657
dsraven

yeah, REALLY looking forward to the glass install. I am far away from that though.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 03:09 PM   #658
Stepside Jim

I understand the frustration, my headliner issue was a 2 day job and I was exhausted mentally and physically when done.

As the window work, front and rear, and I also have a sliding glass rear window, I knew 2 people would be the ticket. I had to buy the glass anyway, so I bought my glass from a glass installer, they delivered, I paid an extra $100.00, and both were done in a couple of hours.

It was the only thing I paid for assistance on the truck, good for you to hang in there.
Old 12-27-2023, 09:08 AM   #659
6DoF

got after getting the 2nd turbo mounted. everything looks like it'll work out really good for the entire cold side, and the manifold adapter and exhaust exiting under the cab should be good ... this hot pipe between the turbo's is just TIGHT. it's going to requires a lot of small radius work.

3D printed some more jigs too, the one pictured is just to slide into position and draw a straight line around the tube. i made another to mark out a 10deg pie cut from the bend.

Old 12-27-2023, 06:34 PM   #660
regan wilson

Dang that's a big Turbo! Looks good
Old 12-28-2023, 09:15 AM   #661
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by regan wilson View Post
Dang that's a big Turbo! Looks good

S362/65/.7 ... S475/96/1.32
Old 12-28-2023, 09:16 AM   #662
6DoF

the pie-cut and straight cut stencils were awesome, highly recommend. the pie cut made quick work of adding some angle and tightening up the bend. it was a 10deg print, but i cut on the sharpie lines so probably more like 12-14 actual. the straight cut needed some tube for alignment, can't just cut off a sliver with it hanging off the end. before i started cutting back the start of the pipe i made multiple marks. ended up trimming it 3x, made it easy easy when already marked.

Old 12-28-2023, 09:16 AM   #663
6DoF

i hate how my exhaust welds look, they are always nasty ... not going anywhere, but ugly. good thing it's getting painted and fully wrapped for that SEMA look

i am super excited this is together, and it's crazy sturdy when assembled. wish i had more room to make this pipe more racecar, but she should be fine. it's tight, but it's big at 3.5". should also have good room that i can get the 4" down pipe past the tire easy without rubbing it at full lock too. cross your fingers for me the outlet flange shows up soon.

Old 12-29-2023, 08:43 AM   #664
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Awesome work! I love doing turbo piping but it is a lot of work. Would you sell some of those cut jigs? Those would be really handy.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 09:53 AM   #665
57FleetsideC4

Amazing work!! Well beyond my skill level. That will make some serious power. Steve
Old 12-29-2023, 09:57 AM   #666
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Awesome work! I love doing turbo piping but it is a lot of work. Would you sell some of those cut jigs? Those would be really handy.
i mean ... no ... but i'll give ya some.

know anyone with a printer and just want the files or wanna pay shipping on some? the problem is ya have to print a different one for every radius bend and pipe size. but once you have the file built, it's easy enough to change a few dimensions in the CAD and re-print. i'm also thinking about making them split with an adjustable screw, the bends warp differently thru them.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:25 AM   #667
6DoF

was at the in-laws over the weekend, but still got some stuff done.

- Manifold turbo is officially installed (measured for oil lines)
- installed dash to windshield trim
- got sensor bungs on the hot pipe
- the wife cleaned the inside really good
- started fab of the intercooler mount
- installed seatbelts

i really like how the seatbelts came out. should be way better than just a lap belt or retrofitting a 3-point. also pretty comfy with no cutting into my neck or pulling bad.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:38 AM   #668
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I don't know anyone with a 3D printer. I have been kicking around the idea of getting one though. Those seat belt mounting plates turned out nice. I much rather would have the belts like you have versus an over the shoulder lately.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:31 AM   #669
6DoF

hot pipe in paint, fully wrapped, and installed with the s475. i really like the one boot cold side connection. turbo oil lines are ordered, so i really need to get on mounting that charge cooler!

no it will not have a hood stack

Old 01-08-2024, 09:37 AM   #670
6DoF

wrapped up the intake this weekend, that's officially sealed and tight. other than once the front clip is on i'll just need to figure out an air filter. so i figured what angle the intake stack needed to be, then in 3D i cut a model of 3.5" pipe and measured the arch length around the miter. i then made an ellipse of the same arch length that fit inside the intake mounting holes and had some plate cut. chopped some pipe, squished it, and I'm super happy with the transition.

i did add some weld bead around the top edge of the pipe to keep the coupler n clamp from slipping off.

i don't particularly like the look of the cooler on top of the engine. it's a nice compact packaging though, it's free space under the hood that isn't used for anything else, and the air path is really good. hard to argue with all that.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:49 AM   #671
6DoF

then moved on to the down pipe where thing got close, but they fit! 4" down pipe snaked

even pre-added some sensor bungs if i ever want them.

Old 01-09-2024, 06:20 AM   #672
regan wilson

That looks nice. Where did you get the cooler? Does it have it's own cooling system?
Old 01-09-2024, 08:07 AM   #673
6DoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by regan wilson View Post
That looks nice. Where did you get the cooler? Does it have it's own cooling system?
FrozenBoost.com ... everything so far from them seams really nice.

the 2 radiators n the back under the bed are for charge cooling water.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:32 AM   #674
regan wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6DoF View Post
FrozenBoost.com ... everything so far from them seams really nice.

the 2 radiators n the back under the bed are for charge cooling water.
Cool. I couldn't remember what the setup in the rear was for. Something like that would be nice for my C-50. It's not like you have to pull the valve cover on a Cummins very often.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:34 AM   #675
regan wilson

Do you have the part numbers? Thanks