The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2023, 11:54 PM   #1
WorkinLonghorn

What Tach will fit and look good?

My '69 came with a tach but it never was accurate and when I made the switch to HEI type distributor it stopped working.
I'm sure this has been discussed a million times but what unit will fit in the stock location (and work with a HEI style Distr.) or what other options are there. Thanks.-BA
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 12:03 AM   #2
jumpsoffrock

Re: What Tach will fit and look good?

I am interested in doing a chop-N-swap to my non-tach cluster later this year. I have bought 3 tachs for use as candidates.

The cluster famously uses a different printed circuit for tach trucks--one reason for this is even the factory tach protrudes from the back of the cluster enough that they had to design another printed circuit with more slack.

I have not done any cutting or swapping yet, but of the three tachs I bought, my favorite looks like it will be too long, even for the special tach-printed-circuit.

Just beware that it's not just aesthetics, or diameter, you need to worry about how long the replacement tack is and if it will fit.

One thing I have considered--and I think it's absolutely absurd--I could actually rewire the cluster using real wires or modify a printed circuit.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 12:14 AM   #3
jumpsoffrock

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=63687

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=80587

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=250683
Old 06-04-2023, 06:48 PM   #4
WorkinLonghorn

A lot of good info here, thanks Jumps. I'm reading those threads and I'll post my final outcome. A tach isn't even that important on a truck that lives in the 2-3,000 range but since it came with one, I'd like it to work. -BA
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:23 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

My factory tachometer worked fine with my HEI. Maybe drop a line to member TBONE1964 and see if he can help you get your factory tachometer working correctly. Just an idea, it might be less work.
Either way good luck with the project.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 11:02 PM   #6
PbFut

I am a factory look guy and prefer the factory tach. I found a basic kit last year and final result was perfect. Given you have a tach already I would trouble shoot to be sure it's not a wiring issue. Once satisfied not a wire just find a replacement tach. You have all the other stuff.
If you like the look of a aftermarket I would go for a vintage Sun tach. If you are racing and need something serious, Autometer makes some really good affordable tachs. They sent me a new replacement knowing it was on my race car and at least 6 yrs old. Strongly recommend autometer if you want modern.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 01:23 AM   #7
pjmoreland

I have a factory style tach in my truck that I got from gmcpauls.com. it works just fine with HEI.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:24 PM   #8
72SB

I took the cheap way out mostly because I had a Autometer tach in my parts bin. Its the column mount type. I have a Pertronix module in stock dizzy so just run to a +12vdc and another wire to - coil and the 3rd wire to dash lights
Attached Images

72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:06 PM   #9
WorkinLonghorn

Some encouraging comments here. Thanks. I went to buy a replacement Tach and read the notes that it also won't work with HEI.

https://www.classicparts.com/1967-72...ctinfo/24-754/

The old original worked with points but was in fact useless because it was so far off.

Maybe I'll try that one from GMCPauls.

New Monroe 34817 shocks for the front coming tomorrow from Walmart ($35 EACH SHIPPED) Car Quest wanted $70 each!
Old 06-05-2023, 06:54 PM   #10
54blackhornet

I have always liked the old school look of the tach sitting on top of the column.
Old 06-07-2023, 12:33 AM   #11
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
I have always liked the old school look of the tach sitting on top of the column.
Yeah well if my dumb ideas run off the rails, I ain't gonna have no choice other than liking column mounted tachs.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:09 AM   #12
custom10nut

My two cents.
Quite often I hear that the Factory Tach is “ Not very Accurate”.
My original Factory Tach (used, out of a 72 panel) was of by 50-75 and then got progressively worse, before it eventually stopped working.
There are rebuilt kits for them, but do to the dial face being sun damaged, I purchased a new unit.
I put the new one in and tested it with my Multimeter, and found the it was “Off” by about 10-15 RPM.
Now, I don’t know how perfect you want that number,I wouldn’t call 10 rpm “Inaccurate” by any stretch.
Do what you want, as it’s your truck, but for me, I don’t care for a gaudy looking aftermarket Tach “Custom Installed” into a factory dash.
Why mess with Factory Perfection?
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:54 AM   #13
WorkinLonghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
My two cents.
Quite often I hear that the Factory Tach is “ Not very Accurate”.
My original Factory Tach (used, out of a 72 panel) was of by 50-75 and then got progressively worse, before it eventually stopped working.
There are rebuilt kits for them, but do to the dial face being sun damaged, I purchased a new unit.
I put the new one in and tested it with my Multimeter, and found the it was “Off” by about 10-15 RPM.
Now, I don’t know how perfect you want that number,I wouldn’t call 10 rpm “Inaccurate” by any stretch.
Do what you want, as it’s your truck, but for me, I don’t care for a gaudy looking aftermarket Tach “Custom Installed” into a factory dash.
I agree with that. Where did you get that new one and do you have HEI distrib? Thanks- BA
Old 06-08-2023, 12:44 AM   #14
jumpsoffrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
I don’t care for a gaudy looking aftermarket Tach “Custom Installed” into a factory dash.
Factory looks better for sure. But factory clusters in usable condition ready-to-go are outrageous.
And the modification kits are $300?

I got two donor clusters for $20, and all three tachs I bought for experimentation cost $65 total.
I am doing it the hard way because I'm cheap and because I'm not a "factory stuff only" kinda car guy.

I'm tolerant to things being out of place, if it means saving a few bucks. I also like the adventure of learning to make things work.
Although I fail sometimes.