The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #1
Fast68C30

grain truck column into pickup cab, cut dash metal mount?

ok i have a 67 68 style 4 speed column from a 69 C50 i am robbing parts goodies from again, tonight, before it hits shredder in near future. if i was to put this column into a pickup cab is there anyway to modify make ti mount work without modifying sheetmetal mount under dash? or do i need to sawzall out the mounting area of pedals and column from the C50 cab? pedals assembly from the grain truck wont mount work in a pickup cab either?? whats different exactly! i kinda need to know ASAP by 5 hours from now or less becaus eim heading out to go grab rest of parts tonight andi ts over an hour south of here out in middle of no where. already got nice windshield and column and pedals and stuff now im going for the west coast sr mirrors and the nice cab harness and hopefully the black flat bucket seats too hmmm...

well actually i have the dash metal entire thing here that i saved from the 72 pickup cab i could just look at i guess hmm... duh...

but what about pedals mounting differences?

im just not a C10 kinda person i really prefer big trucks... 8 luggers and up. 4 speeds, deep gears.. real trucks. hmm.

thx!

Last edited by Fast68C30; 07-12-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Fast68C30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: grain truck column into pickup cab, cut dash metal mount?

-
I know the firewall is different so that is probably why the pedals won't fit. I have never heard of anyone trying to install a big truck column in a pickup so don't know about that.

If the doors are nice grab them, all you have to do is weld a piece of metal on the bottom corner. They are usually in pretty good shape.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
mr48chev

If it's cheap enough or free grab it and it's always trading material if it doesn't fit.

You might also be able to use the collar and turn signal switch on another column to change it from column shift to floor shift without having to do grinding and filling. That may be the easy way.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
clay68c10

Grab the instrument cluster out of the big truck. Usually they have tachometers and air pressure or vacuum gauges. Worth a couple of bux.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
Fast68C30

well yea i know all about the tach clusters in these M model trucks trust me and that was the FIRSt thing i looked to see if was still in this one but it was long gone already of course!! and always are!! evne out here in cornfields no where central IL where no ones doing anything with trucks like this cept scrapping them all. im not a noob to trucks i been at this for over 25 years have drug in and owned and driven 100s of them over the decades but the past decade or so not very many because the damn scrappers been hauling EVERYTHING not welded down to the shredder. just not much with the HD trucks and doors are scrap rotted out junk how is the firewall different? looks identical bolt pattern and shape everything as any 10-30 series one. i just need to know whats different for the column dash mount stuff.

addition as of 10pm now after getting back off the freeway from the long trip to the parts grain truck and back here, for the wiring harnesses and big west coast mirrors and the cowl panel and wiper motor and other goodies i need want for this build, and i compared the 72 dash metal i saved from a 72 C20 last fall and well it looks identical to whats in the grain truck but the bracket U shaped one that holds the column up to the dash is not deep enough or something weird i cant figure out.. but its not ,much different at all!! i can make it work! without much trouble at all. as long as the long one piece shaft column from it is same length as a C/K column with the interm. shaft length included then ill be ok,
and i puled saved the whole complete rag joint assembly from the grain truck too. the bolt studs for the cut outs in the end of column shaft flange are longer bigger than C/K ones. the doors and floors completely rotted away gone missing horribly so nothint to save as far as metal goes. or i would! alot more i wanted to save like the black seat belts and the electric hi-lift flat bucket seat and PTO unit and driveshaft and the trucks middle section of driveline tooo!! and the monster meat front tow hooks on top side of the big bumper hmm.... but coulddnt. just too much and not enough time and all that... unfortunately... i pretty much gutted the cab though pulled it all cept heater stuff and the drum style parking brake handle assembly thats next to gas pedal. i pulled the 5 speed shift knob off though i like it haha.

Last edited by Fast68C30; 07-12-2018 at 11:07 PM.
Fast68C30 is offline   Reply With Quote