The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Honest opinion's wanted

I want your honest opinions on the 13" are 14" brakes for the front of our truck's. Are they worth the money and do you really feel they stop the truck faster and safer?

I'm thinking really hard about them but after the rear disc system I put on my 71 from CPP and not really seeing any noticeable difference in the stopping effect I'm sorta wondering are they worth it. You hear all the hype but I want honest opinion's from those of you that have them installed and driving your vehicles with them.
I'm looking at the McGaughys 71-72 Chevy GMC C10 Big Brake Kit Drilled Drop Spindles 63155 kit.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
Mike C

Re: Honest opinion's wanted

No. And No.

What big brakes do best is dissipate heat. If you are road racing or even towing heavy on long downhills, big brakes might be the answer. If you want your brakes to look not ridiculous behind 20" rims then they may be an answer.

But the stock disc brake setup with good pads and shoes will be limited more by the tires the truck is equipped with than the brake system itself.

The C3 Corvette brakes are compareable to the truck brakes and for all of it's short comings, effective braking was not it. Interesting to read just how effective those brakes were on the Trans Am Camaros of the 60's.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140111...es/rpo_jl8.htm
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #3
jocko

My 2 cents only - probably only a noticeable change if you are doing some aggressive racing/stop/go, etc. Bigger disk equals a bit more bite, but really means better heat dissipation to provide sustained level of braking over a longer period (like road racing, etc). So, unless you're really hitting the race circuit, I don't think it would be worth it from a performance perspective. On the other hand - there's looks. If you have large dia open wheels, stock size disk looks kinda small behind the wheel.. If hidden, I wouldn't bother. If you think it's worth it from a show perspective (and there's nothing wrong with that, lots of folks build em to look good too - and I know your truck already has lots of custom touches) then it might be worth the cost to you.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:15 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Honest opinion's wanted

Not going to lie about the Cosmetics of them but in all honesty I want the performance more than the looks. The factory front disc look fine behind the 20" wheels now. I was just wondering if it would stop any better with the 13" are 14" brakes up front.

Not going to be racing it in any kind of real race but we do have a club track day now for our truck club!
I just not really happy with it after the rear disc swap and was thinking that the bigger fronts would help more.
Wishful thinking on my part I guess.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:58 PM   #5
tdangle

the front brakes are apron 70% of your stopping power. I did the same thing a few years ago on a 91 Mustang GT. I changed out the rear drum brakes to a disc brake setup. After all the money and time, I really didn't notice much difference. I do think a bigger diameter rotor in the front will give you more stopping power, with the same amount of pedal pressure. Any time you can grab further out from the center of a disc it will take less effort and thereby create less heat.

Good luck on making your decision.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:00 AM   #6
swamp rat

A larger disk gives a larger mechanicle advantage over a smaller disk, and dissapates heat better, will you feel the diference?? Maybe not.

http://www.carbibles.com/brake_bible.html

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:56 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

In my opinion your truck would look better green. I think you should build it into a crew cab with a 4' bed, take out that LS motor, and put a Wankle rotary engine in. Still on the fence with wheels, maybe a set of 22" saw blades. And I think an all stock interior would be cool because no one would expect that.

EDIT: I read over the thread again and see it's larger brakes you are asking opinions on. Ok, gotcha. My opinion is do what you like, but you really should do all that other stuff

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:57 AM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: Honest opinion's wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
the front brakes are apron 70% of your stopping power. I did the same thing a few years ago on a 91 Mustang GT. I changed out the rear drum brakes to a disc brake setup. After all the money and time, I really didn't notice much difference. I do think a bigger diameter rotor in the front will give you more stopping power, with the same amount of pedal pressure. Any time you can grab further out from the center of a disc it will take less effort and thereby create less heat.

Good luck on making your decision.
Granted the bigger the disc the better! I plan on bagging the truck later to, so the kit I posted will serve two purposes. It will give me the dropped spindles and bigger brakes and when I bag the truck it will be easier to do. I scored a set of used factory springs last night off of Jesse who is a member here and local to me.
The LS oil pan is below the a frame now so that's why I'm going back to stock springs.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #9
cooperhw

No. But Man they look cool. And they really do help a bunch if you are going to autocross it. If not, probably not.
If you are looking to upgrade and have the spare coin, why not. I will when I do my next 63 project.
Up to you.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Honest opinion's wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
In my opinion your truck would look better green. I think you should build it into a crew cab with a 4' bed, take out that LS motor, and put a Wankle rotary engine in. Still on the fence with wheels, maybe a set of 22" saw blades. And I think an all stock interior would be cool because no one would expect that.

EDIT: I read over the thread again and see it's larger brakes you are asking opinions on. Ok, gotcha. My opinion is do what you like, but you really should do all that other stuff

You funny guy Tim!

Ha the truck was green at one time and I know you know this.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-06-2015, 11:22 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

You think I'm kidding? Nah, don't change a thing, unless you want to. But, run it by me first for approval < I'm serious!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 10-07-2015, 12:12 AM   #12
Barba Negro

Braided stainless line will feel better and cost pennies compared to the full swap. I usually swap lines in first. ymmv
Barba Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:47 AM   #13
leftybass209

I have never been able to differentiate 1 inch of braking surface difference. On paper, it's hardly debatable that an extra inch of clamping surface area will have a positive effect when compared to less surface area.

In reality, the braking distance between 1 inch of braking surface isn't accurately measurable by a human in realistic conditions. This is especially true when comparing an unexpected emergency stop, to a magazine shootout of brakes where slamming on the pedal is expected and repeated purposefully to generate a number.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barba Negro View Post
Braided stainless line will feel better and cost pennies compared to the full swap. I usually swap lines in first. ymmv
I installed all S/S hoses when I did the swap over last year. There is no rubber hoses at all on my truck.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-07-2015, 07:30 AM   #15
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Doesn't more caliper pistons (piston surface area) mean more clamping force?
Also, there are formulas to figure out master cylinder diameter (1" vs. 7/8" vs. something else) to match the brakes on all 4 corners.

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:10 AM   #16
knomadd

Let me first say that I'm no expert, and I am not running larger rotors up front. However, I did just switch out my factory calipers for Wilwood's D52 replacements, with dual pistons. I also added rear 4 piston 12" disc swap (I plan on going bigger up front later - for looks mainly). I can honestly say that I notice a difference. It's not a lot, but I can tell it stops in a hurry with less effort on my part. Normal braking in traffic isn't going be noticeably different with larger brakes or more pistons, but harder stops will be done in shorter distance.

If you're just looking for more braking force, look into a hydroboost system. I have them on both my classics and they stop comparably to a newer vehicle.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Honest opinion's wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Let me first say that I'm no expert, and I am not running larger rotors up front. However, I did just switch out my factory calipers for Wilwood's D52 replacements, with dual pistons. I also added rear 4 piston 12" disc swap (I plan on going bigger up front later - for looks mainly). I can honestly say that I notice a difference. It's not a lot, but I can tell it stops in a hurry with less effort on my part. Normal braking in traffic isn't going be noticeably different with larger brakes or more pistons, but harder stops will be done in shorter distance.

If you're just looking for more braking force, look into a hydroboost system. I have them on both my classics and they stop comparably to a newer vehicle.
I've thought about the Hydroboost also. That's why I'm asking questions to figure which way is the best way to go for my use.Price wise they are about the same.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #18
Fatherflash

Ok, here is something to think about when installing larger rims. Your rim basically sits on a joint along an axis. Since you are increasing the distance between the two, you are increasing the "moment" and also the "arm". If you increase the moment and/or the arm, you are increasing the force on that joint. The moment may for the most part be offset due to a lighter rim being installed however, the arm is still increasing which can or may increase force on that joint axis.

Attempted simple explanation here: (Moment: is a combination of a physical quantity and a distance) (Arm: simply the length between a joint axis and the line of force acting on that joint).

A moment arm is simply the length between a joint axis and the line of force acting on that joint. Every joint that is involved in an exercise has a moment arm. The longer the moment arm is the more load will be applied to the joint axis through leverage.

That being said, it is arguable that 1 inch braking surface is not measurable however the force along the axis increases exponentially while correlating to the increase in diameter of the rim. In other words, greater rim size along the outer aspect of the diameter increases the force on the axis. I believe to offset this, larger diameter brakes should be considered. This is my opinion and mine alone.

I increased my brake size and upgraded my brake system simply due to my view that this is "cheap insurance" when I really need the stopping power during those one or two "Oh Hits" events that seem to happen every year.

As a person who has in the past worked with large diameter spinning systems, (see picture under name) I felt the investment was worthwhile based on my experience and knowledge. It is your investment and instinct so it is your decision to make.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #19
my67c20

Do you want to be one of the cool kids, or just another one of those other guys? Personally, i did notice a difference when i went to disk / disk. I learned that my seat adjuster was broke, and the steering wheel hurts. Disk brakes, from what i have been told, does not like variable load conditions. This is why 18 wheeler's still run drums. However, i suspect that the load variations in most pick-ups is not really enough to be concerned with. I say, if you got the cash, spend it on stuff that you want, if you want to be one of the cool kids.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:09 PM   #20
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67c20 View Post
Do you want to be one of the cool kids, or just another one of those other guys? Personally, i did notice a difference when i went to disk / disk. I learned that my seat adjuster was broke, and the steering wheel hurts. Disk brakes, from what i have been told, does not like variable load conditions. This is why 18 wheeler's still run drums. However, i suspect that the load variations in most pick-ups is not really enough to be concerned with. I say, if you got the cash, spend it on stuff that you want, if you want to be one of the cool kids.

Look at the above post's!

I want the truck to stop! I have disc all the way around it now. Yes the look is part of it no doubt but I want brakes that stop my truck when I hit them.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-07-2015, 10:27 PM   #21
skylerlt

Have you tried different pad materials? I'm betting that the pads and your tire compound will have a greater effect on braking distance than adding the larger rotors.
skylerlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:18 AM   #22
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylerlt View Post
Have you tried different pad materials? I'm betting that the pads and your tire compound will have a greater effect on braking distance than adding the larger rotors.
Just installed new pads all around. Backs are less than a year old. New ceramic's as the fronts.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-08-2015, 07:51 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherflash View Post
Ok, here is something to think about when installing larger rims. Your rim basically sits on a joint along an axis. Since you are increasing the distance between the two, you are increasing the "moment" and also the "arm". If you increase the moment and/or the arm, you are increasing the force on that joint. The moment may for the most part be offset due to a lighter rim being installed however, the arm is still increasing which can or may increase force on that joint axis.

Attempted simple explanation here: (Moment: is a combination of a physical quantity and a distance) (Arm: simply the length between a joint axis and the line of force acting on that joint).

A moment arm is simply the length between a joint axis and the line of force acting on that joint. Every joint that is involved in an exercise has a moment arm. The longer the moment arm is the more load will be applied to the joint axis through leverage.

That being said, it is arguable that 1 inch braking surface is not measurable however the force along the axis increases exponentially while correlating to the increase in diameter of the rim. In other words, greater rim size along the outer aspect of the diameter increases the force on the axis. I believe to offset this, larger diameter brakes should be considered. This is my opinion and mine alone.

I increased my brake size and upgraded my brake system simply due to my view that this is "cheap insurance" when I really need the stopping power during those one or two "Oh Hits" events that seem to happen every year.

As a person who has in the past worked with large diameter spinning systems, (see picture under name) I felt the investment was worthwhile based on my experience and knowledge. It is your investment and instinct so it is your decision to make.
Isn't the overall diameter of the tire what matters? While the rims are getting larger diameter, the tire diameter isn't. The sidewalls are making up the difference.

Tim

Old 10-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #24
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Honest opinion's wanted

Over all height of tires is 29" tall. That's from the ground to top of tire.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 10-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #25
CC69Rat

I have personal experience with the McGaughys big brake kit and honestly I'd suggest Wilwood if you decide to do it.

The McGaughys kit is just Corvette C4 rotors redrilled and Silverado calipers. The brake pad vs contact surface on the rotor is a bit awkward too. There is about 3/4 " on the lower part ( near the hat ) that the brake pad doesn't even touch.

It installed fairly easily .. but I just wasn't that impressed with it. I did all 4 wheels at the same time vs. 4 wheel drum so as far as overall difference my opinion is a bit one sided ( huge difference over drums ) but take a look at Wilwood or Baer before you decide.

Big brakes and the right big brake kit ? I say yes there's a difference over stock. Would I do McGaughys again? Probably not.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote