The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
allaboutchevelles

pics of manual floor shifters

anyone have pics of there manual floor shifters. I want to convert my 3 speed from the column to the floor. I dont want to spend a lot of money because in the future I want to upgrade to a 5 or 6 speed. Are those MrGasket shifters any good???
Old 02-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Turkey

Re: pics of manual floor shifters

Keep in mind that when or if you do that you will find that shifting from 1st to 2nd is a delicate maneuver. The linkage will jam up unless you find the sweet spot and take caution while shifting. If your column shift is working fine I would leave it in my opinion. I moved mine from the column to the floor and regret it now. I have the Mr. Gasket and it works. That's about all I can say. There is no benefit other than it's on the floor and not on the column (if you find that is a benefit).
Old 02-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
jocko

Sorry, I realize I'm skipping from what you have to what you want in the future and not the in-between solution... but here are 5 on the floor pics for my truck (3 ott - to - T5).

One comment - although it's a "future" plan to go to a 5 speed, consider that the holes in your floorboards will not be in the same place between a 3 on the floor (external linkage trans) and a 5-speed (centered rail-type shifter). So, just a thought, but if you can't afford the 5-speed right now, maybe hold off and only cut once or you'll have a case of "floor-conditioning" when you eventually go to the 5-speed. Here's pics of the shifter anyway - details of the swap are in the linky. Good luck!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=482069
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

The Hurst Mastershift shifter is as good as anything produced back in the 1960’s. They are similar in design to the current Competition Plus 4 speed shifters. They are dependable, but not inexpensive.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hurst/530/366-...oductId=748673

All other shifters on the market that I’m aware of are relatively worthless. None provide an actual shifter, just a bunch of parts you slap together to simulate the same functions. If you ever drove an old Valiant with a floor shift you’d appreciate how poorly these are designed. These universal kits are prone to missing gears, jamming in neutral, or selecting more than one gear at a time, which can lead to substantial transmission damage. They provide a nice looking stick, but the threads are usually not common to any of the popular knob threads.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.+Gasket/720/7667A/10002/-1

Also, doing a three speed conversion first will require a pretty good side hole on the driver’s side of the floor. If you go to a 5 speed later you’ll have the 3 speed hole to repair, along with cutting the new one.

Unless you really love having a 3 speed on the floor (which I happen to like), I’d wait for the 5 speed, eliminating a bunch of extra cost and having to modify the floor more than once.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
TR65

Like Jocko I am jumping ahead, except to the six speed. If you use a T56 and the bench seat you need to relocate the shifter in the transmission to a forward location.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=300892

With your low hump floor the shifter housing will have to stick up into the cab. But it only takes a 3-1/2" hole saw which gives 1/4" clearance all around.

I used an old shifter rod out of an original 4 speed floor shift and modified the end to match the T56. Now it looks like the old original 4 speed floor shifter. I used the original shifter ball. It takes a big boot to cover the shifter housing. I used one for a Peterbuilt tractor.

With the 2:1 overdrive in sixth, it really cruises the highway nicely.

TR
Attached Images

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #6
T Smith

I have a Mr Gasket in my old 66 and it sucks. While it shifts barely decent, there's a ton of slop in it and it buzzes like crazy at highway speeds. Like Turkey said above, the 1-2 shift can be a pain UNLESS the rods are adjusted PERFECTLY and that takes a bit of trial and error to get right. Unlike a good Hurst shifter where you can pin the arms together with a 1/4" drill bit and then adjust the rods you've got to eyeball these arms and do the adjust/around the block/adjust/around the block deal until PERFECT! Then it shifts crappily at best.
T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #7
porter90

when my column shift gave up the ghost I bought a Mr. Gasket floor shifter and I HATED it! all the mounting stuff for it was just cheap, and I would jam up in between gears. When I did get it to shift it just felt really sloppy, I got my hands on a Hurst competition plus shifter and its a whole different world! lol I actually just found a Hurst 3 speed mechanism at a local junk yard in a the back of a box truck I could probably get for 10 bucks...That probably doesn't help sorry for rambling! But, in my honest opinion the Mr. Gasket shifter is garbage
porter90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
Turkey

I just bought the column linkage (because I threw mine away after installing the floor shifter) from ebay. Sad to say, but I would rather patch the hole in my floorboard and go back to 3 on the tree then stay with Mr. Casket. Save your time and money.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
geezer#99

I've used about 6 of the Mr. Gasket shifters in anything from a 56 chevy belair up to the last one in my 65 c10. I've never had a problem with them since the first one when a wise old guy taught me how to set them up.
In their original design they have a long thru bolt that goes thru the shifter body and onward thru the bracket that attaches to the tranny. In the original instructions it says to tighten this bolt up using a lock washer. That doesn't hold long and the nut backs off and then the shifter gets sloppy and then you're hunting for a gear or two. Been there once.
The cure is to snug up the bolt just enough to make everything tight and still allow the shifter arms to move smoothly. Then drill a hole clear thru the nut and the bolt. Use a cotter key thru the nut/bolt and it'll never get loose again. Shifter stays tight. No missed shifts. And quiet too.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
T Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
I've used about 6 of the Mr. Gasket shifters in anything from a 56 chevy belair up to the last one in my 65 c10. I've never had a problem with them since the first one when a wise old guy taught me how to set them up.
In their original design they have a long thru bolt that goes thru the shifter body and onward thru the bracket that attaches to the tranny. In the original instructions it says to tighten this bolt up using a lock washer. That doesn't hold long and the nut backs off and then the shifter gets sloppy and then you're hunting for a gear or two. Been there once.
The cure is to snug up the bolt just enough to make everything tight and still allow the shifter arms to move smoothly. Then drill a hole clear thru the nut and the bolt. Use a cotter key thru the nut/bolt and it'll never get loose again. Shifter stays tight. No missed shifts. And quiet too.
I'll take a look at this, thanks!
Old 02-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey View Post
Keep in mind that when or if you do that you will find that shifting from 1st to 2nd is a delicate maneuver. The linkage will jam up unless you find the sweet spot and take caution while shifting. If your column shift is working fine I would leave it in my opinion. I moved mine from the column to the floor and regret it now. I have the Mr. Gasket and it works. That's about all I can say. There is no benefit other than it's on the floor and not on the column (if you find that is a benefit).
I will second this.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
allaboutchevelles

Thanks guys, im still up in the air about what to do. If I do the floor shifter then I will have to deal with changing out the column to get rid of the shifter on it.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
jocko

unless you're completely grossed out by the idea of a column shift lever bump, you can just drive out the pin and remove the shifter lever and call it a day. Not very noticeable. I did that - and I DO plan to eventually remove that little bump, but it's not time critical - i.e. shouldn't hold up your swap, you can get to it when you get to it. What I plan to do is remove the sleeve, cut it off, weld a patch and bwork it. That seems a bit simpler than changing the whole column to me (not to mention the price of a whole new column just to eliminate that little shifter bump).
Old 02-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
geezer#99

Or use that handy little bump as a place to put your tach!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #15
jocko

tried that, but it kept rolling around the steering column on me...
Old 02-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #16
geezer#99

It did on me too until I tied the lever off on the end of the column.
I knew a guy who set his up as a antitheft device. Set up a push button switch that was contacted by the 1st gear lever at the end of the column. Wouldn't start unless you twisted the collar down to the 1st gear position. Fooled a lot of people.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #17
allaboutchevelles

thanks geezer!! Any pics of the MrGasket shifter mounted in your 65 C10??
Old 02-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #18
T Smith

I've been thinking about cutting the bump off and smoothing it out on mine as well, actually seems easier than fooling with a used column of unknown condition, I know what I've got with mine. Only thing is the unused shift arms under the hood, seems like I've ripped the hide off my arms a dozen times on them, they need to go!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #19
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
thanks geezer!! Any pics of the MrGasket shifter mounted in your 65 C10??
Sorry no pics. Cleaned out from my file awhile back. Computer took a dump. Lost a bunch of stuff.
Don't have truck no more so no new pics.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #20
Raceaprilia

Did anybody do something like this on Camaro T5 swap? will go in this direction but would like to see pics of it already done and placement of shifter in place. Thanks for input.
Attached Images

Raceaprilia is offline   Reply With Quote