The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
Gotenntitans

Learned valuable lessons today!

My son just got a 1990 GMC from his grandpa. All original with the only issue being the stereo wouldn't play at all. My son has been working hard mowing yards in between football practices all summer and he went by to talk to a man who has a stereo shop in a sort of run down looking place in the town that I live in. Nice guy, but shop not very impressive. *got me a bit concerned

Anyway, my son told the guy what he wanted and the guy "just happened" to know where he could get some used stuff from a friend of his who was looking to sell some stuff. *really got me concerned

I went out of town on Tuesday and my son and his mom delivered the truck to the guy and paid him $450 upfront while I was gone. When I heard this on Wednesday, I went down to talk to the guy and he already had the dash apart and the old factory radio out. He assured me that everything would be fine. *still concerned, but I did feel a little better after I saw what he was going to install

Got a call yesterday telling me to come check out the truck before my son got to see it. I was pleased with the clean look but extremely displeased with the sound! Too dang loud!!!! I thought the truck was literally going to bounce off the ground. Seems the guy sold my son a Pioneer deck with a 1500 watt amp and woofer. I think I am correct on this. Anyway, it's dang loud.......so loud that I can't hear anything except base. *didn't sleep at all last night, worried about it all night

Got up this morning and went down to talk with the guy and I told him that I did NOT want that kind of system in the truck and asked him to take the amp & woofer out. I told him that I wanted either my son's money back OR some toned down speakers worth approximately the same amount we had already paid. He refused. Then, he said that my son still owed him $235. I told him that I was not going to let him pay any more money, so he then says that he'll keep the truck until the bill is paid and he absolutely was NOT going to tear into the interior of the truck again. *went to talk to a lawyer friend who I went to high school with and she said that "a minor CANNOT enter into a legal binding contract with a business" and the guy would have to take it all out and give the money back if I pushed the issue, but I may have to go to small claims court to get it done

I went back to talk to the guy and before I could say anything, he now says for me to just take the truck as is and forget about the $235 extra. *why would he do this????, I asked myself

Anyway......to the lessons learned.......just at this time, my son and two of his friends came by to check on the truck and my son listened to it and LOVED IT! His friends loved it too! *I became MY father at that moment....Dad hates it, Son loves it!

I apologized to the shop owner and left, kind of embarrassed. My son came home and washed the truck and I have heard it "bumping" all afternoon long as he's been outside detailing the interior.

LESSONS LEARNED: run down shops can do good work, used equipment isn't always trashed out, and the things that I like aren't important to everyone else and I should back off and let my son do things his way.

It's hard being a dad sometimes, but I'm learning. GTT
2003 Chevy Silverado
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote