The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2024, 11:27 AM   #1
slowboy

column shifter hard to find shift

1972 GMC P/U C1500

350 ENGINE 4BBL QUADRAJET AND HEADERS
350TH TRANS

Shifter is hard to find PARK, and REVERSE. Especially
hard to find the sweet spot for Park. Usually have to move shifter
back and forth around PARK spot before I can start truck.

Any ideas on how to fix this please?

Plus it seems to be preventing my backup lights from working.

Thank you,
Keith
slowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:48 AM   #2
A1971Blazer

Re: column shifter hard to find shift

you need to adjust the neutral safety switch at the lower part of the column near the firewall...
put the shifter into the Park position and adjust the switch by loosening the two hold down screws on the back side....not too loose..
move it SLIGHTLY one way or the other until you are able to start the truck....tighten the screws and re test.
It also affects the back up lamps which is also part of the same switch.
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 02:57 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowboy View Post
1972 GMC P/U C1500

350 ENGINE 4BBL QUADRAJET AND HEADERS
350TH TRANS

Shifter is hard to find PARK, and REVERSE. Especially
hard to find the sweet spot for Park. Usually have to move shifter
back and forth around PARK spot before I can start truck.

Any ideas on how to fix this please?

Plus it seems to be preventing my backup lights from working.

Thank you,
Keith

The first thing I would do is to spray some PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or something similar (not WD-40) into the steering column, where the shift lever goes in. Insert the tube above and below the shift lever and spray. Don't be afraid to give it a good dousing. (hold a rag under the column if you are worried about dripping on the floor mat or carpeting) After you spray it pull the shift lever up toward you and push it back down toward the dash. The knob should move up and down a couple of inches. Do this 4 or 5 times. This will help free up any sticking in the shift lever tube so the detent will do its job. Be sure and spray the bottom of the tube where the shifter arm is also. The reason the shift lever moves up and down is because it should be pulled back towards you to shift it into and out of the park position.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 03:16 PM   #4
A1971Blazer

To be clear, are you having trouble with the shift lever being stiff or sticky?
What I assumed was that you were just having an issue getting it into the correct position so it would start, maybe having to wiggle it back and forth a little to hit that "sweet spot" as you said. so that it will start.
Lock Doc assumes that perhaps the lever is stiff or sticky...both are possible scenarios that would cause the issue you're describing...
Old 01-02-2024, 04:56 PM   #5
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
The first thing I would do is to spray some PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or something similar (not WD-40) into the steering column, where the shift lever goes in. Insert the tube above and below the shift lever and spray. Don't be afraid to give it a good dousing. (hold a rag under the column if you are worried about dripping on the floor mat or carpeting) After you spray it pull the shift lever up toward you and push it back down toward the dash. The knob should move up and down a couple of inches. Do this 4 or 5 times. This will help free up any sticking in the shift lever tube so the detent will do its job. Be sure and spray the bottom of the tube where the shifter arm is also. The reason the shift lever moves up and down is because it should be pulled back towards you to shift it into and out of the park position.

LockDoc
This should work.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 09:05 PM   #6
Sheepdip

The easy way to adjust your NSS/BU light switch assuming the switch itself is good, is put the shifter in the neutral position and connect an Ohm meter to it, then make the adjustment until you get a open or resistance reading. Double checking this reading in reverse and park will confirm all is as it should be.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 08:35 AM   #7
slowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
you need to adjust the neutral safety switch at the lower part of the column near the firewall...
put the shifter into the Park position and adjust the switch by loosening the two hold down screws on the back side....not too loose..
move it SLIGHTLY one way or the other until you are able to start the truck....tighten the screws and re test.
It also affects the back up lamps which is also part of the same switch.
Thank you!
Old 01-03-2024, 08:36 AM   #8
slowboy

Quote:

LockDoc
Thank you!
Old 01-03-2024, 08:49 AM   #9
slowboy

Quote:
To be clear, are you having trouble with the shift lever being stiff or sticky?
What I assumed was that you were just having an issue getting it into the correct position so it would start, maybe having to wiggle it back and forth a little to hit that "sweet spot" as you said. so that it will start.
Lock Doc assumes that perhaps the lever is stiff or sticky...both are possible scenarios that would cause the issue you're describing...
You, along with Lock Doc, assumed correctly.
Yes, I'm having an issue "getting shifter in correct position so it would start"...and yes, having to move "wiggle" it back and forth to "hit that 'sweet spot' so that it will start.
The shift lever is 'stiff' and hard to move through P,R,N,D2,D1...
it takes some effort to move shift lever through the gears with no distinct engagement of any gear while moving lever. ( it 'will' go into gears but like I said no distinct engagement of any gear.

Thank you!
Old 01-03-2024, 08:51 AM   #10
slowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
The easy way to adjust your NSS/BU light switch assuming the switch itself is good, is put the shifter in the neutral position and connect an Ohm meter to it, then make the adjustment until you get a open or resistance reading. Double checking this reading in reverse and park will confirm all is as it should be.
Thank you!
Old 01-03-2024, 08:59 AM   #11
A1971Blazer

Quote:
You, along with Lock Doc, assumed correctly.
Yes, I'm having an issue "getting shifter in correct position so it would start"...and yes, having to move "wiggle" it back and forth to "hit that 'sweet spot' so that it will start.
The shift lever is 'stiff' and hard to move through P,R,N,D2,D1...
it takes some effort to move shift lever through the gears with no distinct engagement of any gear while moving lever. ( it 'will' go into gears but like I said no distinct engagement of any gear.

Thank you!
It's difficult enough to troubleshoot a problem when you're right there with it..
Possible causes and solutions from a keyboard (and some experience) are more difficult.
Everyone here is always more than willing to offer up their help. That's what makes this forum so unique.
Often times there are several possible causes for any one particular issue.
Good luck with it and let us know what you discover....
Old 01-03-2024, 10:32 AM   #12
slowboy

Quote:
It's difficult enough to troubleshoot a problem when you're right there with it..
Possible causes and solutions from a keyboard (and some experience) are more difficult.
Everyone here is always more than willing to offer up their help. That's what makes this forum so unique.
Often times there are several possible causes for any one particular issue.
Good luck with it and let us know what you discover....
Yes, I know how hard it is troubleshooting while here or from a keyboard.

I sprayed some PB BLASTER in the hole, and all around inside hole the best I can. I'll do it again in a little bit.
Is the shift lever supposed to move [ when pulled toward you to change gears] back and forth on the pin that mounts it to the column, or be fixed to column by mounting pin? I noticed that when I pull shift lever toward me as when to change from Park to another gear, the housing that shift lever is mounted to moves back and forth when I pull lever towards me.
Image shows housing that shifter is attached to that moves when I pull lever toward me...
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2024, 04:12 PM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Yes, I know how hard it is troubleshooting while here or from a keyboard.

I sprayed some PB BLASTER in the hole, and all around inside hole the best I can. I'll do it again in a little bit.
Is the shift lever supposed to move [ when pulled toward you to change gears] back and forth on the pin that mounts it to the column, or be fixed to column by mounting pin? I noticed that when I pull shift lever toward me as when to change from Park to another gear, the housing that shift lever is mounted to moves back and forth when I pull lever towards me.
Image shows housing that shifter is attached to that moves when I pull lever toward me...

It may move a little there but the shifter knob should move up and down a couple of inches when you pull it up toward you and push it back down towards the dash. Did you spray the bottom in the engine compartment? There should not be a gap where the arrow is pointing in the picture below. That is the detent for the shifter that locks it into park.
Attached Images

-
Old 01-12-2024, 05:11 PM   #14
slowboy

I've been in hospital since 1/4/24 with COVID, PNUEMONIA AND AFIB. That's why I haven't been on here continuing my steering column questions and fix.
I haven't forgot any of you and when I'm able I'd like to continue with my attempt to fix my column problem with questions and answers from all of you great people!
Thanks so much for your help, guidance and input.
Old 01-12-2024, 05:24 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I've been in hospital since 1/4/24 with COVID, PNUEMONIA AND AFIB. That's why I haven't been on here continuing my steering column questions and fix.
I haven't forgot any of you and when I'm able I'd like to continue with my attempt to fix my column problem with questions and answers from all of you great people!
Thanks so much for your help, guidance and input.

Wow! Sorry to hear this. That is a lot of problems to have all at one time. I hope you are on the mend now.

LockDoc

-
Old 01-12-2024, 06:07 PM   #16
A1971Blazer

prayers for speedy and full recovery
Old 01-13-2024, 10:39 AM   #17
slowboy

Quote:
It may move a little there but the shifter knob should move up and down a couple of inches when you pull it up toward you and push it back down towards the dash. Did you spray the bottom in the engine compartment? There should not be a gap where the arrow is pointing in the picture below. That is the detent for the shifter that locks it into park.
sorry for delay...

shifter knob doesn't move a couple inches when pulling toward me or pushing back toward dash...
no I haven't sprayed the bottom in the engine compartment yet...

and, why do you think there's the gap where arrow is pointing in picture...
Old 01-13-2024, 10:41 AM   #18
slowboy

Quote:
prayers for speedy and full recovery
Thank you very much!

I'm doing better, although not 100% yet.

I can't wait to get back on my C1500 AND GET THIS SHIFTING PROBLEM STRAIGHTENED OUT :-)
Old 01-13-2024, 10:43 AM   #19
slowboy

Quote:
Wow! Sorry to hear this. That is a lot of problems to have all at one time. I hope you are on the mend now.

LockDoc
Thank you very much LockDoc!
Old 01-13-2024, 11:30 AM   #20
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
sorry for delay...

shifter knob doesn't move a couple inches when pulling toward me or pushing back toward dash...
no I haven't sprayed the bottom in the engine compartment yet...

and, why do you think there's the gap where arrow is pointing in picture...

There is a separate tube inside the steering column that moves when you move the shift lever. It is connected to the lever at the bottom of the column that the shift linkage is connected to. A common problem is that the original 50 year old lubricant inside the column gets dried out and stiff and won't let the tube move like it should. Spraying the penetrating oil into the tube from above and below will soften the old lubricant enough to allow the shifter parts to start moving again.

When the tube inside the column moves up and down it opens and closes the gap that the arrow is pointing to in the picture above. When the shift lever is in park it should look like this picture - no gap.
Attached Images

-
Old 01-29-2024, 03:58 PM   #21
slowboy

Quote:
I'm sorry for late reply...where exactly do I spray under tge hood?...everywhere I can see on column that might have an open space and/or looks like it'd move?
Old 01-29-2024, 08:50 PM   #22
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I'm sorry for late reply...where exactly do I spray under tge hood?...everywhere I can see on column that might have an open space and/or looks like it'd move?

Yes, that is correct.

-