The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2022, 08:03 AM   #476
zicc1835

Re: My Dusty 71 GMCe Electruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
then it was simply, Wax on... Wax off

and well, what do you know? we got part numeros (them numbers confirm it's a crate motor and not one from 1971) and I think there's a date code on the other side
Question your using the dawn straight on all with a brush or how are you applying I’m going to be cleaning up leaky engine oil blow back on the entire frame rear carrier and in frame fuel tank and power wash and it all goes down the driveway to the lawn sure would love not to use gunk ….. you all no what residue that leaves in the run off path 🤭
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:18 AM   #477
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
Question your using the dawn straight on all with a brush or how are you applying I’m going to be cleaning up leaky engine oil blow back on the entire frame rear carrier and in frame fuel tank and power wash and it all goes down the driveway to the lawn sure would love not to use gunk ….. you all no what residue that leaves in the run off path ��
so what I do first is remove as much crud as I can while it is still dry, I use a 2" putty knife, flat screw drivers of different sizes to scrape, and then wipe off with paper towels, I love using quality paper towels cause they really lift the dirt and grime off, and once a towel is dirty I just toss it, you can also waddle them up into a ball and force hem into crevices with a flat screw driver

then I pressure wash just with cold water from a garden hose, no soap at this time, this blows off what it can and reduces the amount of crud the soap will have to eat and fight later

not all dish soap is created equal (I am looking at you .99 Cent Store, lol) Dawny is the shizzle it works, so I use it, what color of Dawny don't matter I prefer the green though, but last time I used the blue just as well, I don't delute it in a bucket or anything like that but by now the engine is wet and their are tiny puddles of water in some cavities to mix with the soap, plus I am in California so our soap formula is most likely way weaker than yours as it may cause cancer in this state like everything else

once the engine is wett I go crazy with the dish soap and brushes just get it on everywhere

then I pressure wash it off and some stubborn grime stays on, so that's where and when you hit it with 0000 steel wool and more dish soap and then repeat with the pressure washer

pressure washers also are not all created equal (electric pressure washers could not remove a bugger off my finger) so use a gasoline powered one please

time of year matters, do this job outside when it is HOT, not in the Winter if you can

pics of another engine that I did on my '74, hope this helps
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:25 AM   #478
zicc1835

Perfect thanks for taking the time to type that all out I’m a old 1 finger texter and Typer I have done a lot of engine and grease cleaning in my day never tried this application and for the area I want to clean will be much easier that years of grease gook on a motor thanks again
Jess
Ps nice work on the E truck
Old 03-14-2022, 08:38 AM   #479
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicc1835 View Post
Perfect thanks for taking the time to type that all out I’m a old 1 finger texter and Typer I have done a lot of engine and grease cleaning in my day never tried this application and for the area I want to clean will be much easier that years of grease gook on a motor thanks again
Jess
Ps nice work on the E truck
ha ha, and thanks, it really comes down to a proper ratio of dish soap to elbow grease you want at least 50/50 and everyone skimps out on the elbow grease, ha ha

here's what that little mouse looked like when I was done with her, now that took more than just dish soap and a pressure washer, but it was all done under a shade tree by yours truly no hot tank or machine shop involved
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2022, 09:42 PM   #480
zicc1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
ha ha, and thanks, it really comes down to a proper ratio of dish soap to elbow grease you want at least 50/50 and everyone skimps out on the elbow grease, ha ha

here's what that little mouse looked like when I was done with her, now that took more than just dish soap and a pressure washer, but it was all done under a shade tree by yours truly no hot tank or machine shop involved
Awesome I’ll take some pics and put them in my build thread of the clean up I don’t mind the elbow grease it takes to get it done it’s the outcome like that clean machine on the stand it’s supposed to be nice here climbing to 70 this week I’ll start the process
Old 03-14-2022, 11:07 PM   #481
Gregski
Post Whore

Meanwhile, in my happy place: $335 bucks, they didn't itemize the scrap random pieces invoice so I have no clue what costs what, but oh well

and get this the lady at the counter measured and weighed every piece and wrote it down on a detailed invoice, me being anal retentive thought awesome this is great, I get to see exactly what it all cost, and then she grabbed a brand new Invoice and wrote:

"VARIOS ALUMINUM PEACES" $173.44

two 4"x2"x1/4" aluminum angle 59" long for $137.04 for both

WTH
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 03-15-2022 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2022, 11:26 PM   #482
Gregski
Post Whore

and here is my knowledge of metallurgy summed up

there's at least two types of aluminum angle iron, and one has a roundy round corner and the other has a sharp edge, the roundy round is stronger

I bought the roundy round one cause that's what they had in the larger sizes
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2022, 11:31 PM   #483
Gregski
Post Whore

just mocking around
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2022, 11:42 PM   #484
Gregski
Post Whore

just wanted to get an idear of how the batteries are going to go, each one of those cell modules as they are called is just under 60 volts, these are from a 2018 BMW 530e hybrid and they come 6 to a pack, wait did I just say 6 pack but backwards... rad!

so far I bought two packs so a total of 12 of these beauties

the other three will sit atop of these, bottom three will be mounted to the bottom of the frame C channel, and the top three to the top of the frame C channel using 2x4x1/4 angle iron in front and back

For the Record: I cannot fit four across as they interfere with the three K member bolts protruding upwards through the bottom of the C channel
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 03-15-2022 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:57 PM   #485
notsolo

Loooking good Greg...When gas hits $10 gallon, your going to be riding around in style while we sit at home with thumbs up.... .... I hope you will add a super bright white light when you open the hood, or a pulsing blue light...Cheers.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:09 PM   #486
72 tigger

Thanks for taking the time to take pics and share your stories with us (who knew buying aluminum could be so interesting!)
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:37 AM   #487
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Loooking good Greg...When gas hits $10 gallon, your going to be riding around in style while we sit at home with thumbs up.... .... I hope you will add a super bright white light when you open the hood, or a pulsing blue light...Cheers.
ha ha, thanks and is that a Back to the Future reference
Old 03-16-2022, 10:47 AM   #488
Gregski
Post Whore

so for those of you who know me, or have followed any of my other two truck builds, Rusty '74 and or Busty '54 you know that I like making lists, sometimes I even make a list telling me to make other lists, ha ha

so, here is a list of things I hope to learn (pronounced: "play with") whilst embarking on this project, simply put because converting a 50 year old truck to electric ain't difficult enuff
1. Media Blast (as in air compressor and media cabinet)

2. Powder Coat (using a electric kitchen stove/oven) Cardboard Freight or Clint Eastwood kit donno yet

3. Paint a car (ok Plasti Dip, but you get the idea) even if it's rattle can

4. MIG Weld aluminum (just bought a special spool gun for my Lincoln 140c)

5. Sow my own seat upholstery (huge ambition, and highly unlikely)
Old 03-17-2022, 06:14 AM   #489
Gregski
Post Whore

Motivation?

let's check in with our new field correspondent to see what's in the box, Anita Morebits
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 03-17-2022 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2022, 03:31 PM   #490
rickcdewitt

Search electric c10 on youtube for an interesting awd build based on a tesla. Truck winds up aweful looking but i like the ideas behind it
Old 03-17-2022, 05:53 PM   #491
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcdewitt View Post
Search electric c10 on youtube for an interesting awd build based on a tesla. Truck winds up aweful looking but i like the ideas behind it
thank you yeah I watched it cringing as it got worse and worse with the more they piled on, my build will be very spartan, very utilitarian, no heater, no AC, no tilt column, no radio, no power seats, no power windows, and definitely no wide body kit
Old 03-17-2022, 06:51 PM   #492
jimbosprint

This is a great project. I bet electric conversions are common in 15 years. When it gets more practical I can see putting electric in my K10.
jimbosprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:14 PM   #493
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosprint View Post
This is a great project. I bet electric conversions are common in 15 years. When it gets more practical I can see putting electric in my K10.
thank you so much there is a bit of an underground movement I think some very skilled folks have kept their conversions on the downlow to keep the government from taxing electric vehicles just my conspiracy theory, ha ha

please check this link out

The Electric Vehicle Photo Album aka evalbum.com
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2022, 08:22 PM   #494
rickcdewitt

I bet you could use the heat generated by your transmission and its cooler lines to send heated coolant to the heater core without too much difficulty?
Old 03-17-2022, 08:52 PM   #495
bennylava

What about putting the batteries where the gas tank used to be?
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:16 PM   #496
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
What about putting the batteries where the gas tank used to be?
oh, I could, but I like to sit further back and have a tad of storage space behind me, and there is no solid frame there unless I build something, there is plenty of room under the bed too
Old 03-17-2022, 10:45 PM   #497
Gregski
Post Whore

this fuel pump hump bothered me long enuff
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2022, 10:47 PM   #498
Gregski
Post Whore