The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Build that 71 402 already

Figured to start a build thread. Only problem is I haven't built anything yet. I'm tearing it down to the frame, and it takes me a while. Although I'm mostly mechanically inclined, as I "like" to say, I've never even done a brake-job. I'm also consumed by detail, and it appears I'm writing a manual. That and I try doing the leg-work as I remove parts. The build will be much easier.

A little about this truck. I'm the second owner discounting a dealer between us. The original owner figured his SWB was for all things recreation, from a boat launching hitch to a fifth wheel, to a step bumper with a receiver hitch. I was lucky to get all the paperwork less the invoice and contract.

I bought this truck in 1989 with 94K miles. It was really just plain dumb luck. Today it sits at 140K. I've always had visions of restoring it, wasn't sure how etc., but I'm happy to say I waited, because I might be a little more detailed now. Bordering on OCD. Or rather CDO as I've learned here. Sorry in advance I edit my posts so often HA!.....Yeah, no kidding. You should see my manual.

This truck was a daily driver from 89-92. The motor blew a cork in January 93. Same day I lost my job. And wouldn't you know it my Sheba was lost two days later. Not the best weekend I ever had, but I had time to pull the engine with my buddy's help. Other than that I haven't been surrounded by a mechanic. Since the engine rebuild it's been mostly a garage queen less landscape projects some time ago. I haven't cleaned the interior or exterior body in say 20 years.

I'm real grateful for this website. And I'd be lost without it. Without mentioning any names, quite a few members are not just knowledgeable to expert, but very helpful as well, and that's appreciated, a lot.

At any rate, just to start things off, I'm blown away by the condition of the parts on this truck. Sure didn't look like much to the untrained eye, but some of this stuff looks like new or close. Not a lick of rust (i.e., Nevada garage, no water in decades). GM built an excellent truck, but you knew that. Here are a few images for some of the parts I've pulled. At some point I'll add pictures of real progress. Hopefully they come in bunches.

Edit: Sorry, I see the pics are gone. That's okay, the actual rebuild starts soon.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-16-2017 at 01:20 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote