The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
MrTucker

Which S10 chassis swap kit is better: EZ or AD?

My eyes are blood shot from searching and I couldn't find the answer, so I'm starting a thread (hopefully there isn't one I didn't see).

I'm seriously considering the S10 swap. I have a '53 with a twisted up frame. I was planning on getting the frame fixed and getting an MII installed, but when I weigh the cost of the frame straightening and the MII install against the cost of the S10 swap (using a kit) it makes sense. Plus I worry about the integrity of the frame and want a good ride - the swap just makes sense.

So which kit is better - the EZ or the AD kit? The EZ kit is about the same cost as a cheap MII, and looks to be of MUCH better quality than the AD kit - according to what their respective websites show.

I know that making my own kit wouldn't be that difficult and would save me money, but I don't have the equipment to do this and I'm looking for ease of construction rather than doing a budget build. Come time to start this project I'll barely have a garage - much less all the equipment (probably skills too) needed for all the fab work. Pretty much looking for bolt on and go...

Anybody used either of these kits?

Last edited by MrTucker; 10-16-2009 at 09:41 PM.
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
nickp51chevy
Registered Chevy Owner

Re: Which S10 chassis swap kit is better: EZ or AD?

If you concider building your own, there really isn't much you need to make. I just used the original shackle mounts for the rear cab mounts and used the S10's rear cab mounts for the front. All you really need to build would be the bed mounts and for that I just cut some square tube on a bias and welded a plate on top of them. Really the only thing you'll need as far as equipment it a welder and some basic hand tools. I'm sorry I can't say anything about the AD or EZ kits, I'm sure people will chime in about them though.
Good luck and have fun

1970 Chevy CST C10 long box 350/400
2008 Chevy Silverado short box 4x4

Had;
1951 Chevy short box 307/T5
1988 Chevy shot box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C20 long box 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 350/350
nickp51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
54 jimmy

have the ad kit and i have told other guys if i had to do it again i would go with the ez kit because it has everything and the owner tries to use everything from the s10 that you can to save you more money down the road. i had to fab a lot of stuff with the ad kit. it is a great kit if you are doing some custom stuff to your truck but if you are looking for the easy best bang for the buck go with the ez kit.
2008jeep patriot (wife's daily driver
2008 chevy 1500 ext cab 4x4 sold
2011 chevy 1500 crew cab ltz (daily driver)
1996 chevy 1500 reg cab 4x4 project sold
2006 pontiac grand prix gxp (daily work commuter)
54 jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
britnjc

I am not sure what fab work you are talking about on the AD kit. I used it and its pretty much a measure and install kit. It is high quality pieces also. I really liked the AD kit. The only fabwork will be making my bumper mounts, which i want to do anyways to pull them in closer to the body. Well i did cut my core support a little, but it is easy. I would use it again if I did this swap. plus it is about 600 dollars cheaper.
britnjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
55dude

wow! EZ want right at $1,800 delivered to your door. for that type of money you could buy some very nice tools to fab up some of your own mounts and afterward end up with some great tools for the next project. mmm if you have any fab skills spend the money on the tools. onyone that says these kits are 100% bolt on are full of it! the only thing i have ever seen that bolts on with no fab work is a WHEEL! do some searching and check out LRALL'S build. pm him and he will tell you the real truth about these kits. people think these kits make the swap as easy as licking a postage stamp and putting it on a envelope. building a AD truck is a dirty thankless job! well more of a sickness!
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
nickp51chevy
Registered Chevy Owner

That the guy LRALL. I couldn't remember his name so I didn't say there is some guy on here so go find him. Thanks 55dude.

1970 Chevy CST C10 long box 350/400
2008 Chevy Silverado short box 4x4

Had;
1951 Chevy short box 307/T5
1988 Chevy shot box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 4x4 350/350
1971 Chevy C20 long box 350/350
1971 Chevy C10 long box 350/350
nickp51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
MrTucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55dude View Post
onyone that says these kits are 100% bolt on are full of it...
I know! I emailed EZ about that and he responded with "pretty much everything needs to be welded after you bolt it in for mock up." Not what I was expecting!! He also mentioned that his prices have gone up, but aren't reflected on the website yet!

If I'm going to have to have it welded up - why buy the kit??

Thanks for the input guys...
Old 10-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #8
Thadious

Yep, and $1800 to go with the stance that they've designed for you. Chance are, if you're going down this road... the whole thing is gonna be custom... Pick your own stance, layout your own brackets from the drawings on the forums then shim the way YOU want it. Everyone on this board is more than happy to help with ideas and things that have worked and things that haven't. Just remember, you aren't reinventing the wheel here, many of us are doing exactly the same thing your are! In the end, you still have to weld it up, so spend your cash on a decent MIG (you need it anyways!), do it yourself and take some pride in your work.

If you've never MIG'd before, get yourself some clean scrap, setup according to the machine specs for the thickness and start practicing. When your ready, tack them in where you want them and go from there. Then you still have a great MIG for the bodywork that you know is coming! (Gas is far better than flux core btw, unless you have to do it all outside).

Just my 2 cents.

Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
c10addict

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=353451

Check this thread out... A bunch of links to different Ideas for mounts... Ifollowed Jeffs51's drawings... There are pics in my Poison Ivy build thread...
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
Atomsplitter

I don't have the tools either so try going to your local welding shop with the plans from this forum and have them built for you. It'll save you a pocket full of cash as the shop will make these parts up with bits of scrap that they have in thier scrap bin. Don't let thm BS you about having to buy a 4'x4' sheet of steel.
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:56 PM   #11
jeffs51chevy

Either way you go, you will be welding and cutting and welding again. There are so many challenges that go along with a frame swap that one of two things will happen. Even if your skill set does not include fabrication, you will (1) acquire those skills out of necessity, or (2) your wallet will become much lighter. I love all of this stuff, but one thing you must acknowledge on this topic is the number of finished swaps out there. This forum probably has more s10 swaps underway than any on the web, but how many are “finished”, or close to being drivable. My point is, it takes a ton of work and it is not an easy swap.

I apologize for the thread hijack, so I’ll get back on topic. If you are going to fork out the cash, go with the EZ swap solely because the instructions equip you with knowledge to modify the parts you already have. That in itself should save you money down the road. As for help here on this forum, you will not find better, more helpful, charitable guys anywhere. Sorry for the novel.

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffs51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #12
MrTucker

Dont apologize - these are the answers I was looking for.

Thanks...
Old 10-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs51chevy View Post
My point is, it takes a ton of work and it is not an easy swap.
Agreed 100%. I'm a fab guy, and I'm only partly through my build and there will definitely be challenges. Getting a kit and accepting how the designers of the kit determined it should be done will take a lot of the guess work out of it, leading to a quicker build and more time to decide how you want to do this or that (paint, interior, engine, etc). There is a great deal of value in that, especially for someone with a family or other time commitments.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
mr48chev

MrTucker, any decent metal fab shop should be able to follow Jeff's drawings cut them out and bend them up.
You might have to get the drawings done up to full size for patterns though.
I'd say that the whole set shouldn't take more than a couple of hours shop time if you have full size patterns to work from.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #15
Lrall

Either go with the AD or fab it all on your own. Each truck has its own set of quirks and cuts here or smaller pulley there blah blah. I have never heard of anyone needing a smaller PS pulley but thats what i had to do. So in short, fab your own or if you cant, use the AD kit. i dont like the look or style of the EZ kit. It also depends alot on what direction you want to do. If you want bagged or static, all depends
Lrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #16
c10addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
MrTucker, any decent metal fab shop should be able to follow Jeff's drawings cut them out and bend them up.
You might have to get the drawings done up to full size for patterns though.
I'd say that the whole set shouldn't take more than a couple of hours shop time if you have full size patterns to work from.

I used 4x4 square tube... Did not need bent and alot less welding...
Attached Images

54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #17
MrTucker

Maybe I could just pay c10addict to make me some sweet mounts...